LGB - Long Beach ATCT

jon377

Newcomer
May 20, 2010
Anyone out there currently work at or know about the conditions at LGB? I'd really like to live in the southern LA/north Orange county area and LGB is currently my top choice (SNA is second). I am not from SoCal, but my dad lived in Long Beach for three years and my mom grew up in nearby Downey, so I know a little bit about the area. I could still use any pointers I can get, both about the facility and the area. Thanks!

h2laatc

Oct 28, 2009
hey buddy you wanna get in touch with __________ (think thats the correct spelling). Im from FL and did a tour of his facility about a month ago, nice guy and cool facility.

Mod note: Name removed for privacy. PM author if you need it. And yes, he is a nice guy.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Long beach, from an outsiders view, seems like the hardest airport in OC. I'd want sna or torrence (toa looks hella easy)

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
long beach is super slow, they used to be top 10 back in the 90's.
In 2010 their traffic count was almost 320,000. Of course it doesn't compare to the traffic numers at ORD, ATL, DFW, LAX, etc. but for a GA airport, that's up there, right next to VNY in numbers.

atcstudent323

Newcomer
Oct 21, 2011
I love Long Beach Its one of the Few Airports here where you get a mix of GA with Commercial. As far as attractions around here TONS!!! Disneyland and knotts a few miles down. I say a good choice if you plan to move to a more active tower like lax san or las.

Good Luck

jon377

Newcomer
May 20, 2010
Long Beach is actually in southern LA county. (SNA is in Orange county.) I've done a little research, it's a level 8, lots of GA traffic, some commercial (JetBlue has a hub there) so a good mix. I've got a friend who flies out of there and he said that they usually only use three of the runways. (25L/R and 30, the 16s are not usually used)

I'd like to work at LGB or SNA, or even Burbank for a good flow of traffic but not jam-packed like LAX. Both my parents lived in SoCal for a number of years and I'd like to experience life out there for a little while, and more importantly, have a solid job at a facility with good traffic like Long Beach.

Thanks guys for the input, it's appreciated!

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
OC meaning the OC airspace from a controllers point of view. I dont care who you are paying your taxes too. :p

Confuzedballer05

Newcomer
Jul 31, 2011
PilotChip, hows the staffing there? Im from Orange County and just applied for the prior experience bid hoping to get picked up. It really doesn't matter where right now as long as I get picked up. But I do hope to live in southern California.

PilotChip

Newcomer
Jul 12, 2008
SCT
www.facebook.com
Right now staffing is full. We have a constant list of requests for internal transfers, so we have not solicited off of a standard vacancy in the past year or so. That doesn't mean it won't happen though, we have one or two still trying to bid out to other facilities, so when that happens we can usually pull another one or two from an ERR list most likely. I'll be going to SCT near the end of the year and we'll be pulling one more ERR soon to fill my position. I recommend getting your foot in the door and then visiting LGB as much as possible. Make sure you have ERR paperwork in from the start. I don't think you'll see LGB on a vacancy because we never need more than one or two at a time and there's a long line of people wanting to get here. ERR is your best shot for now.

Kazansky22

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
Resurrecting an old thread, wonder what the staffing levels are LGB are looking like for the next year or so. Its my top pick, SNA probably second.

PilotChip

Newcomer
Jul 12, 2008
SCT
www.facebook.com
Staffing isn't as filled as it used to be. It's always worth submitting your request to any facility you desire; also make sure to visit every now and then if possible. This let's you check in on staffing levels, monitor hiring trends, and create rapport with the manager, Union rep, and employees. Both LGB and SNA are quite busy and demand a high level of focus and dedication.