Local President Vs FacRep

Bobscurl01

Newcomer
Mar 20, 2017
My local is having some difficulty. Basically, the President was both the President and FacRep but last election he only ran for President. The President and the new FacRep disagree on most issues. Furthermore, the lack of clear boundaries between who has authority where has made matters worse. Does anyone know who has authority and where?

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
My local is having some difficulty. Basically, the President was both the President and FacRep but last election he only ran for President. The President and the new FacRep disagree on most issues. Furthermore, the lack of clear boundaries between who has authority where has made matters worse. Does anyone know who has authority and where?

Why does your facility separate the two? Local President IS the Principal FacRep.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010

This is a pretty odd situation, but the Facrep isn't an elected position. Primary facility representative is appointed by natca national. In most cases they allow the facility to pick this person via their local elections and the president of the local is appointed as primary facility rep. In your situation either your constitution says something weird, which splits the two positions, or natca national has decided they have no confidence in your president and has appointed a primary facility rep of their choice, or worse you local is in trustee status.

But to answer your question the president has authority to do whatever your constitution says and nothing more. His job is to run the local. He would have zero interaction with the air traffic manager. The person appointed primary facility representative shall do all negotiations with the manager, and is the sole "voice" of the union to the agency. Clear enough?