Local Seniority Tie Breaker Procedures

Njcassano

Newcomer
Dec 19, 2009
I was wondering what other facilities do for seniority when two members have the same seniority date. I understand most facilities do a coin flip. After the coin flip does the seniority alternate each year with the two members or does the coin flip winner maintain seniority for their entire career?

If able reply with your facility Name.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
That's all something that should be in your local MOU. NATCA national sets the seniority down to a certain point, then your local would determine the "coin flip". Your local would also determine the details of the results of this coin flip.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
I pretty sure its a coin flip and then you don't rotate each year, its in stone after that. I think that is a national thing but I could be wrong because I don't follow NATCA all that much. All I know is here in ZME we were rotating back and forth and were told it is supposed to be permanent. We actually just had a huge class come for OKC a while back and had a 3 way coin flip in my area and some schmoe had to finish last and its forever.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
The NATCA contract is very specific on how to establish seniority, the coin flip would only come into play if two or more individuals don't have any prior military or federal service that would work as tie breakers.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I know in my area we've got some guys who had the same start date. They go back and forth every year for who is ahead of the other in seniority.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
I think we went down to birthday at one point, with the older being the most senior... ofc thats like way down the list.

Makes sense tho. Idk thats gotta suck