Long Time Lurker, Recently Denied

BubbaTucks

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2015
College Station
Hi all,

First, I would like to thank the users since I attribute much of the knowledge obtained regarding the application process and the AT-SAT to this forum.

I am a recent graduate who had planned on attending ATC school after college, but received some unfortunate news last month. I applied early last year, and passed everything except for the background check. On my application I outlined what I would consider light drug use my freshman and sophomore years of college, and have since been debarred from any FAA position until 2019.

I failed to work on a plan B, and am currently looking for a job that actually pertains to my major. Not wanting to leave this door closed, I am hoping someone might be able to provide me with some insight on other possible routes. Are there any jobs that ATC works closely with that might benefit me on a future application? I also understand how serious drug use is in this field, and have accepted that this door may already be locked. Please do not hesitate to let me know if keeping this option open is unrealistic.

Thanks in advance

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
No, the door is not locked, just make sure to keep all the paperwork for your next security interview in 2019 so you have it all on file and all your ducks in a row.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Were you charged and convicted for this "light drug use" or did you just tell them you thought there was nothing wrong with some hookers and blow, so long as it's on the weekends?

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Were you charged and convicted for this "light drug use" or did you just tell them you thought there was nothing wrong with some hookers and blow, so long as it's on the weekends?
Wait, I'm not supposed to be hoarking nose candy off a callgirl's ass on a thursday night???? Shit. Wish they would have told me that earlier.....

Cause they ain't hookers unless they are dead NE.

BubbaTucks

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2015
College Station
Appreciate the replies. As for the drug use, I have never been convicted. I did not realize that they would look so far back into my past, and regret ever disclosing that information.
A friend recommended dispatch as well, but my rejection letter specifically outlines that I am barred from competing for 'any position in the FAA until 2019.' From what I have read online, I would still have to pass training as a dispatcher with the FAA which led me to believe that I would not be able to apply for that either, but if I understand correctly, since I will be employed by an airline, I would still have a chance?
I have also visited the air force recruitment office, and explained my situation. I would be rejected for similar reasons, unless I enlisted for combat control school which wasn't what I had in mind after graduation.

DL0509

May 26, 2016
I would try to get in with an airline somehow so you can get some flight benefits and do some traveling.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
You would do your practical exam with an FAA designated examiner. The guy that did mine was a dispatcher with American Airlines, so they're not all FAA employees. They just do it on the side for extra cash. Even still, you would be working for an airline, not the FAA so I can't see how that would be a problem. Only way to find out is to talk to some dispatch programs and see how it all pans out.

Echo Mike

Epic Member
Apr 2, 2015
Tennessee
And for future reference, always remember drugs are bad, mmmmkay?
I don't see how admitting to doing some type of drugs for a couple years as a kid will DQ someone unless he admitted to being addicted to meth for 2 years and he was a junky....which if there was no record and the only people that knew were family and God I probably would never come out with all that

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
i think cocaine use and some other drugs are an automatic DQ regardless of how many times or how often. basically anything other than pot is an auto dq

Bravo Delta

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
North Carolina
I admire the integrity, but if everyone was actually honest about drug use as a teenager the united states would have no air traffic controllers.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
I admire the integrity, but if everyone was actually honest about drug use as a teenager the united states would have no air traffic controllers.
I'd bet if you included current drug use you'd nail a sizable amount of currentime controllers, also lol.

And yeah I'm surprised this guy got DQ'd when they asked about drugs. I know quite a few people that said they told the security interviewer that they used drugs as a teen and never had a problem. If you pass the drug test and aren't using currently, who cares?

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
I'd bet if you included current drug use you'd nail a sizable amount of currentime controllers, also lol.

And yeah I'm surprised this guy got DQ'd when they asked about drugs. I know quite a few people that said they told the security interviewer that they used drugs as a teen and never had a problem. If you pass the drug test and aren't using currently, who cares?
I straight up told the interviewer I peed hot on a screen while serving in the guard as a controller. I'm still employed. So ya I guess you'd have to define "light drug use".

DaOsprey

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2014
I straight up told the interviewer I peed hot on a screen while serving in the guard as a controller. I'm still employed. So ya I guess you'd have to define "light drug use".
Enough to get the Feds to following me in a G6 Whilest flying a C208

BubbaTucks

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2015
College Station
Looks like have have some more research to do about dispatch then. I was hoping they would see this as an honest response about my improvement, but apparently someone thought otherwise. I spoke with one of the security personnel who reviewed my application, and he mentioned that he could see improvement(boost in GPA) and that it was all fairly minor, but he would not be the one to make the final decision.
Thanks again for the responses

foldgers4321

Newcomer
Sep 15, 2015
Everyone is saying Airline and they're absolutely right. Ive been working in an AAL Ops Tower in KPHL, and on a good day I get to work ramp control (10x less busy as ground, 10x more busy than Radar at KACY). On my spare time ill look at the radar we have available and listen in on approach/ departures/ tower, and mostly ground when I wanna know what they're telling aircraft prior to handoff (Theres plenty of time). I've been reading plenty of textbooks on fundamentals of ATC procedure/ rules & reg/ phraseology/ acronyms and weather. None of it really matters till I'm in front of a scope, or in front of some big tinted window on the other side of the runway. I digress. Go with an airline, throw some bags arounds, learn how to push, get close up to an A330 and learn about it's different types. Just don't stop.

customcables067

Sep 1, 2010
Everyone is saying Airline and they're absolutely right. Ive been working in an AAL Ops Tower in KPHL, and on a good day I get to work ramp control (10x less busy as ground, 10x more busy than Radar at KACY). On my spare time ill look at the radar we have available and listen in on approach/ departures/ tower, and mostly ground when I wanna know what they're telling aircraft prior to handoff (Theres plenty of time). I've been reading plenty of textbooks on fundamentals of ATC procedure/ rules & reg/ phraseology/ acronyms and weather. None of it really matters till I'm in front of a scope, or in front of some big tinted window on the other side of the runway. I digress. Go with an airline, throw some bags arounds, learn how to push, get close up to an A330 and learn about it's different types. Just don't stop.

+1