looking for some advice

steve0298

Newcomer
May 15, 2009
2
0
1
I am a developmental at a level 11 tower, and about 2 months away from checking out. I want to transfer to a different facility. Do you think I would have a better chance before I get checked out to transfer? What is the best (fastest) route I should take to get out of here? Who should I talk to first to get the ball rolling? Have i waited too long?
 

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
1,510
4
38
42
farmingdale ny
im not an atc or even hired yet....but i'd say get that cpc title 1st so you have something to work with when you go for a transfer, with all hiring and training craziness, im pretty sure your new boss would like to know he's a got a cpc coming in...just my take on it, the more experienced peeps will chime in here....what facility are you at and where do you want to go?
 
Nov 14, 2008
24
2
3
First thing you should do is talk to your NATCA Rep (provided you are in the union).

There are two ways to go about it. ERR or place a bid. Your rep can give you advice as to which way is better depending on your situation, but you'd have to wait a year after you check out to place a bid.
 

ROMA

Junior Member
Sep 24, 2008
106
1
18
Queens, NY
Again... Coming from a new-hire hopeful: i have to agree with Liandra here, you may run into a seniority problem either way, but being fully checked out and being able to offer a CPC to the transfer facility might look better... And (not to put a hex on you or doubt your ability) if you cant hack the new place and you wash out, it may be easier to keep your job and return to the facility you're already certified at.....that's MY uneducated $.02
 

danielbfoster

Not my real name
Nov 20, 2008
93
1
8
DFW - D10
If you are sure you're gonna get checked out in just a couple months I think it would be foolish to leave, for all the reasons listed above plus cpc pay at a lvl 11 ain't bad. Obvioulsy I'm not in your shoes and I'm not aware of all the factors involved, but again I think anyone could hack it at a place they hated for two months.
 

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
423
3
18
Once you're checked out and move to another duty station you get paid at the CPC rate while training there, no?
Sounds dumb to do anything until you're CPC.
 

Raydon

Happy Camper
Aug 18, 2008
1,046
16
38
OKC
I'll agree with just about everyone here.. get the CPC and most importantly, call your NATCA rep.
 

Tommy10

Senior Member
Oct 8, 2008
269
4
18
Rockledge, FL
From my understanding, you must be CPC for at least 1 year at your facility before you are able to transfer. I'm sure that there are always exceptions to the rule.
 

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
2,172
24
38
Miami, FL
you can always quit and re-apply, but then you are looking at almost another year for the hiring process, and thats if you get picked up on the very first job listing.

So... quit and wait about 1-2 years with no pay... OR get your CPC and put in for a transfer or bid another facility. It may take you a few years but atleast you are getting a good pay check while you wait and you have a CTO/CPC under your belt. I wouldnt quit if you are close.

Now if you are sure you are going to wash out Im pretty sure you have to wait atleast a year before re-applying, if you quit you can re-apply instantly.
 

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
2,024
19
38
In a van down by the river.
If you have made it past D2, I've heard D3, then you can transfer to a lower level facility if you wash out.

I don't know your situation, but I would suggest getting your 52 weeks of CPC so you can apply to other bids.
 

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
1,230
3
38
Nashville TN
The key is are you going to certify where you are at, or are you sweating it? If you certify you will have more options open to you to transfer plus you will have the experience of having certified at an ATC-11.

In all seriousness, I'd hang in there and certify, then work on moving someplace else, maybe swaps will come back when we finally get a contract.
 

ATCinWI

Senior Member
Feb 17, 2009
284
1
18
39
Illinois
Something to consider is that once you're a CPC at a short-staffed high level facility, you might have a 5+ year wait for a release date. If that's the case and you definitely want to go someplace else, you might be better off getting out while you're still a dev.

I was in a similar situation; I was a CPC at a tower in CA, but I *had* to move to WI. I bid and got an offer at a facility in WI, but couldn't get a release date for 2 years from my present facility. I got a contract tower job in WI, quit the FAA, and got re-hired 4 months later back into an FAA facility where I wanted to be.

Being a developmental, the contract tower thing is probably not an option (unless you have had a CTO somewhere for 6 months, say, in the military), and if you quit, you go to the CTI or OTS pools, not the REINST bids (I believe), so you are with everyone else trying to get hired again. And if you get hired you'll probably have to go back to the academy for another round of initial training. Basically, it's not a good option unless you're willing to chance not to be an air traffic controller.

Otherwise, it seems like an ERR to a lower level facility while you're still in training may be an option, but the receiving facility might not want you; it's generally perceived that Dev ERRs were going to wash out at their previous facility, even if it's not really the case.
 

steve0298

Newcomer
May 15, 2009
2
0
1
thanks for all the input. i know i will check out here. looks like ill just have to stick out the 52 weeks till i can bid out and hope i get a quick release date.
 

Centerpuke

Junior Member
Sep 22, 2008
149
1
18
HOT-LANTA
thanks for all the input. i know i will check out here. looks like ill just have to stick out the 52 weeks till i can bid out and hope i get a quick release date.
If you're going to leave, now is the time. Like the guy before me said, once you check out, you have to wait for a release date. You need to find another facility, bid, get accepted and then voluntarily terminate your current training. Again, if you wait until you check out, it could be a long wait.
 

archie_league

Junior Member
Jun 17, 2008
113
0
16
Chicago
I am a developmental at a level 11 tower, and about 2 months away from checking out. I want to transfer to a different facility. Do you think I would have a better chance before I get checked out to transfer? What is the best (fastest) route I should take to get out of here? Who should I talk to first to get the ball rolling? Have i waited too long?
It all depends on the staffing at your facility. Once you check out it isn't uncommon to get a release date 5+ years in the future after you get selected on a bid.
 

danielbfoster

Not my real name
Nov 20, 2008
93
1
8
DFW - D10
If you're going to leave, now is the time. Like the guy before me said, once you check out, you have to wait for a release date. You need to find another facility, bid, get accepted and then voluntarily terminate your current training. Again, if you wait until you check out, it could be a long wait.
At least it would be a long wait with a paycheck. Or you could go back to working at wal-mart again while you wait to get picked up at the facility you want. doesn't seem like a hard decision to me, but it's not mine to make.