Looking for Some Clarification About DoD Hiring..

njbadapple

Rookie
Feb 19, 2013
I've been hanging & stalking the FAA hiring section for the past few months and have emerged with nothing but disappointment and frustration, amongst endless rumors. I'm just looking for a brief synopsis on how DoD hiring typically works (yes I'm aware of sequestration and probably isn't happening right now.)

Currently, I'm active duty Navy with over 6 years in, and don't separate until fall of 2015. I don't have a CTO, but I'm a RADAR guy and I do have an approach ticket. I've always been under the impression that if you don't have a CTO, then DoD is out of the question. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me? And once again, just a brief explanation of how the hiring process works.. since it differs vastly from FAA, from what I can gather.

Thank you.

SkylinesSuck

Trusted Contributor
Sep 4, 2009
asleep at work
I don't have one. I think it's facility dependant, although I doubt a CTO would ever hurt your hiring chances anywhere you go. It definitely expands the number of places you have a shot at getting hired to work at though.

AlphaBravoh

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
If you want to go to a DoD facility that is Terminal only, then I would say it's out of the question. Most places won't waste their time on someone that doesn't have any experience, especially with the large pool of VRA controllers out there looking for work that DO have a CTO. I know alot of Navy bases that hire DoD controllers require a prior CTO, normally because the DoD controller is expected to obtain FWS at a facility that has both Tower and Radar (and they usually only give you a year to do it in, just like the Whidbey Island job that was open last month.) Just keep an eye on USA Jobs, and pay attention to what they're looking for as far as experience. They'll usually tell you outright that they want a copy of your CTO...

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
In AF DoD you are either Tower or Rapcon, you don't get dual qual'd. I believe also, at least at my base, the DoD guys in the tower are GS-9 while the Rapcon DoD is GS-12.

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
Ft Campbell is up/down there are a few working here that were hired right out of the military with only approach control ratings. It's rare but possible. I'd say your best chances are gonna be AF radar facilities. If you're looking hard at dod make sure you network your ass off.

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
Most DoD announcements will tell you in the requirements section if a CTO is required. There are plenty of places that hire either tower or radar. Keep searching USAJOBS, make sure your resume meets the requirement for the position, and apply. It also helps to know someone either at that facility or know a guy who knows a guy.

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
The best answer is that you need to get a CTO if you can, just because it opens up most DOD jobs to you rather than only about 15% of them. It'd be foolish to limit yourself that way.

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
There are very few radar only facilities in DoD, with the majority of openings tower and GCA, and/or Approach. If you don't get out until 2015, I would suggest, if able, to do whatever it takes to get a CTO before you get out. Keep in mind that without a CTO, contract towers won't give you the time of day.....should you need a fall back option.