Los Angeles Center - ZLA

pd82

Dec 23, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
I have been trying to find an address for the LA Center with no luck. Anyone have it?

p.s. why is it so hard to find any info on centers? There is basically zilch on the FAA website, and googling does not turn up squat.

A

Adam

Re: ZLA

This section of the website will be up this week...I promise...it's almost done...sorry it has taken so long...it will definitely be worth the wait once you see it all complete!

SnowAviation

Jan 29, 2009
Southern California TRACON
p.s. why is it so hard to find any info on centers? There is basically zilch on the FAA website, and googling does not turn up squat.
Normally I'd say that you have to Google it correctly.

For example I'd say try ZLA ARTCC or Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center

But after putting on my smarty pants hat and looking around for a few minutes I realized...you were doing it right. Using those keywords I found this website ZLA ARTCC Not exactly an FAA website, the NATCA website hasn't been setup yet so no help there, and the main FAA site, well...as you mentioned is very bad.

Finally after rooting around on the Employees.FAA.Gov site I found this helpfull PDF file: https://employees.faa.gov/org/staffoffices/aep/aee/osheccom/media/010808/ato_establishment_list.pdf

Just for the record, the Gnome was right.

However in my searches I did find this lovely photo:

pd82

Dec 23, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Yeah, i'm pretty fluent in google-ese so it was unusual that I found so little info. That page from the FAA website was a good find, thanks.

ns_harman

May 11, 2009
whats palmdale like

anyone work for zla? whats palmdale like? do most people commute? I read online that palmdale has major crime and gang problems, is this true? what would be a good city to look for housing in?
thanks for all that reply

ATCtower

Oct 26, 2008
Re: whats palmdale like

anyone work for zla? whats palmdale like? do most people commute? I read online that palmdale has major crime and gang problems, is this true? what would be a good city to look for housing in?
thanks for all that reply
Sleepy Valley and Juniper Hills are supposed to be nice :)

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

Quartz Hill. west of the 14 in Lancaster. I worked at EDW for 8 years, so know the area pretty well. The Antelope Valley is getting worse and worse for crime. It would be kind of backwards to commute. Like if you moved down south into the LA basin it gets more expensive instead of cheaper, plus you would have to commute about an hour each way. Some people prefer the bigger city, higher costs, commute, etc just to have more things to do.

Meshyf

May 9, 2009
California

I've lived in the area my whole life. It really isn't all that bad. Like Pipper said. If you live on the East side its can be pretty annoying. Just stay as close to Quartz Hill as possible or even Valencia if you don't mind a commute and you'll like it just fine.

As for actually living in Palmdale there really isn't that much to do besides go to the mall and the movies.

ST1300_memory

May 13, 2009
Quartz Hill, Ca.
Quite a few folks rent apartments nearby for the first few months. They then figure out whether to group together or find a place down south in Santa Clarita, Valencia area or to stay in the Antelope Valley and rent a house on the westside.

Home prices are vey low now and expected to get lower due to the housing situation in all of California. It just depends where you choose to live.

CDundee

Jun 22, 2009
If you stay in the AV I really recommend staying on the west-side. Quartz Hill is probably your best bet or West Palmdale beyond 30th St. W. If any one has any questions about the local area I will be happy to answer them because I grew up here in Palmdale.

Davo

Mar 14, 2009
Anyone working at ZLA that would know what the hiring situation is for the next couple of panels? I will be OTS for pub 8, tentative Jan. - Mar. panel. Also I will graduate Dec. so I may be CTI that panel or the next. My list of preferred locations seems to be getting shorter in terms of availability.

caboarder2001

Oct 18, 2009
Anyone working at ZLA that would know what the hiring situation is for the next couple of panels? I will be OTS for pub 8, tentative Jan. - Mar. panel. Also I will graduate Dec. so I may be CTI that panel or the next. My list of preferred locations seems to be getting shorter in terms of availability.
Bump for this. Anyone know ZLA's situation?

Green_Between

Aug 27, 2008
socal
I'll be starting the acadaemy on Dec 31st and assuming all goes well, expect to report to ZLA ~May 13th. For anyone at ZLA currently, how's the training for new hires there? Is there a high washout rate, and on average how long has it taken new hires to check out?

manonmoon

Dec 10, 2009
Training depends on the areas some are thorough others not. the one i am in dont give you any materials to study from, you have to figure it out yourself through research. Count on not being a strict cut and dry type of training. Each trainer has a different way of doing things and you might be confused by that. I dont know about the wash-out rate it might be a bit high. To be CPC it takes between 1.5 - 3yr depends on the supervisor, trainers, scheduling, and YOU (how well you can figure out things). Its not easy and prepare for a stressful adventure