Los Angeles Tower - LAX

shao

Jul 15, 2008
Rosemead, Ca
Re: LAX Question

great topic for us socalers. i was thinking of going to LAX as well. but after reading this, i think John wayne airport might be better option for me. have any one of you toured john wayne airport tower?

SoCal_ATCer

Jan 6, 2009
So Cal

its pretty easy to get up to SMO tower. if you call the manager or supe they are pretty willing to let people up there. most of the people who tour are pilots at the field but ATC classes from mt sac have been up there in the past as well.

thebosko

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2009

holy poop that a lotta facitilies. thank you very much.

Im at a flight school right now at john wayne and all the controllers and people seem to be really cool everytime i have talked to them so i would imagine that a tour there would be awesome!!

brenro

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2009
Warrenton VA

The rushes at LAX all have names. The Narita rush is in the early afternoon when all the far east flights all go out at the same time. The busiest rush is the Delta rush betwee 8 pm and 11 pm. If you think you might be interested in going there I suggest you arrange a visit for the evening and see if you're still interested.

zyuzin4

Jan 14, 2009

I am at LAX, first facility, no prior experience. I picked CA and thats what I got selected for so I took it.. PM me if you have questions

bushidomatt

Newcomer
Feb 21, 2009
SNA

great topic for us socalers. i was thinking of going to LAX as well. but after reading this, i think John wayne airport might be better option for me. have any one of you toured john wayne airport tower?
I am currently a trainee at SNA, does that count? They are not real good at letting people tour unless you schedule way ahead of time. SNA(lvl 9) is no cake walk though. Current timeframe for trainees to CPC is around 1.5 years depending on how good you are. No we don't have radar, just a ton of general aviation. I think we have our quota filled until the next fiscal year but it never hurts to put us down. Cool tower with very cool controllers if you can get in, location isn't too bad either!

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

your telling me SNA has no radar? either you mean your not an up/down or i'm completely shocked that u guys have no radar up in the tower. a lvl 9 without a d-brite or STARS. hmmm...

bushidomatt

Newcomer
Feb 21, 2009
SNA

Roddy you are absolutely correct, should have worded that a lot better. We have D-brites but are not an up/down. I just meant to say since we are not an up/down people expect to get checked out quick, but we are way too busy/complex for that to happen. Trying to get checked out on Local 2(vfr) is where people run into a lot of problems.

Charliefoxtrot

Nov 19, 2008
San Diego

How do you like SNA? I'd really like to try and tour that facility soon. I am part of PUBNAT 6 & 7 so you might actually have some openings when my number comes up. I love OC and would love to move back.

bushidomatt

Newcomer
Feb 21, 2009
SNA

I like sna. It has a good mix of traffic with airliners, helo's, and general aviation. There are some really good CPC's at the tower to leech info from and get training. Cost of living is rough while you are a trainee but to me it's worth it for the weather.

sAnTa_moniCa

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2009
LAX is Tower only. You are correct in saying that approach is done through the Socal Tracon. And spread the word that if anyone is going to LAX or the LA area from the academy that I have a 2 bdrm apartment a couple blocks away from Beverly hills(15-20 min drive to lax) available for rent June 1st for an extremely low price especially due to cost of living here because I'm moving. Good luck to everyone and start thinking about what you're getting into having LAX as a first facility!

SoCal_ATCer

Jan 6, 2009
So Cal
LAX is Tower only. You are correct in saying that approach is done through the Socal Tracon. And spread the word that if anyone is going to LAX or the LA area from the academy that I have a 2 bdrm apartment a couple blocks away from Beverly hills(15-20 min drive to lax) available for rent June 1st for an extremely low price especially due to cost of living here because I'm moving. Good luck to everyone and start thinking about what you're getting into having LAX as a first facility!
hocking your apartment here...haha disney you make me laugh!!!

With that said, it is a nice apartment. Crazy cheap for Beverly Hills.

zyuzin4

Jan 14, 2009
That was LAX. I still got a facility in So.Kal

I don't know the "CA" situation now

The LA district (SMO, VNY, BUR, CMA, LAX) got to hire 3 new controllers for FY2010, all three went to VNY. I can't say about other california districts.