Louisville - SDF

boston757

Jan 14, 2009
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any info about SDF, especially regarding the staffing levels and the time it takes to become a CPC? Thanks in advance.

cforst513

Nov 8, 2009
ZOB
Bump. What's the word on Louisville? I did a search and there wasn't much to read. How are the staffing levels? Good place to work/live?

STLATCER

Aug 13, 2009
Any one know what the staffing is like at Louisville and what the facility is like? any info appreciated..

MvG

Dec 10, 2010
Yo Front Door
Curious myself...I have a TOL for KY and SDF seems like somewhere I would wanna go... I know they have a really big UPS hub here.

Tricky1

May 10, 2011
I've lived in Louisville all my 26 years. I'd have stayed, but openings were told to me to be in Florida. It is a good place to live...combines a lot of "big city" advantages with a small-town feel. The UPS hub is right next to the tower. Just make sure you become a Louisville Cardinals fan and not the Kentucky Wildcats. You'll find UK fans make up the trash of the city haha.

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
Any news in the way of staffing levels at SDF? I am from Louisville and would like to get back there. Tricky1 where did you go to HS?

ukwazoo

Newcomer
Aug 10, 2010
Manager here at SDF is trying to get some ERRs in here. We're below what staffing should be by 2-3 controllers, I'd say, but it's been hard to staff, for whatever reason.

Traffic is not too bad during the day. The meat & potatoes are the UPS inbound at night (11pm-2am) and the UPS outbound in the morning (3:30am-5:30am). Unless you have Mon-Tues or Tues-Wed off, your last shift of the week will be busy lol. (There is no inbound on Saturday or Sunday night)

During Christmas, the inbounds and outbounds are even busier. Christmas and the Kentucky Derby weekend (which is insane) are blacked out for leave purposes.

Hard to get spot leave here, most sups are very hesitant to give leave or work shorthanded ever (which is hands down the worst part about working here), but the technology is very nice (ASDE, ADSB, ARTS 3e, soon-to-have STARS).

As far as a place to live, it's very not bad. They have just about everything you'd need, in terms of entertainment, and it's easy to avoid the bad parts of town.

I think it's taken most people about two years to certify through the facility, although getting certified in around a year is very possible and has been done. (there are a LOT of hoops to jump through in the training program here - plus, the inbound and outbound amounts to level 12 traffic)

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
Talked to the ATM there the other day he said they don't normally hire newbies but its not unheard of. Just curious if anyone can speak to this as well. Especially considering the upcoming retirement rates?

TooYou4ever

May 22, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The ATM there is a wonderful guy and very straightforward. He used to be my sup's sup years back. But for a first facility that is a tall order. You'd probably be better served by LOU. No radar but the tower has a fair share of traffic.

wingz0923

Newcomer
Nov 22, 2010
CVG
I submitted an ERR to SDF today. I'm from D10. I talked to the ATM and he said that they will be picking up some ERRs soon. What are my chances coming from a level 12 TRACON?

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
Finally got my FOL. Going to SDF after 3/27 academy. Looking forward to getting there. Any advice on what to start looking at to get a leg up is much appreciated. I have started working on the Airport Diagram but anything other than that to look at would be great. Thanks!

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
I would say don't worry about anything pertaining to SDF until you pass OKC. broad .65 and Academy airport is what you need to worry about