Mazar-e-Sharif: AIP Facilities

conleykennedy

Newcomer
Nov 11, 2014
Shawnee, OK
Hello All,

Brand new to this forum, although I've been I ATC for 23 years. I have an opportunity to go to Mazar-e-Sharif and am wondering if anyone has been to this location and know how secure it is. I received an offer letter this evening and was all set to accept it until a co-worker said she just got back from Afghanistan and more specifically back from working with AIP and said "there is no amount of money that could get me to go back".

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

chucksierra

Newcomer
Mar 31, 2015
Can you give me more info to go on? Who's AIP and what issues did this person have abroad? Curious as I'm in early application stages to go overseas as well. I'd like to approach it with no surprises and eyes wide open. Thx.

morajor13

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2015
I was there, basically run by the Germans. I mean what can you say it's a crap hole. Crappy little burger King by the terminal that you place your order at and then some national hops on a bike and peddles to who knows where and returns with your food. Moderate weather when I was there in May but I'm sure it gets pretty hot.

morajor13

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2015
I would say it's secure enough. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

TIL

Rookie
Mar 4, 2015
Hello All,

Brand new to this forum, although I've been I ATC for 23 years. I have an opportunity to go to Mazar-e-Sharif and am wondering if anyone has been to this location and know how secure it is. I received an offer letter this evening and was all set to accept it until a co-worker said she just got back from Afghanistan and more specifically back from working with AIP and said "there is no amount of money that could get me to go back".

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.
What makes you want to go over? Do you get more benefits overseas than you do now?... I wasn't at that exact location but where you are going is much safer. Weigh out your options and always have a plan B in case you decide to come back early.