MCAS Iwakumi TME

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
Anybody stationed there now or have ever been stationed there? I bid on the job but have never been to Japan so I'm looking for some basic info on the area, the base, and the traffic situation. Any info would be appreciated.

SkylinesSuck

Trusted Contributor
Sep 4, 2009
asleep at work
I've toured the facility a couple times. Didn't seem too busy, but not sleepy slow. It's an up/down. Iwakuni itself doesn't really do much for me, but Yamaguchi (the area) rocks. Hiroshima and Fukuoka are medium to large sized cities not too far away. Lots of stuff to do in the Iwakuni area as well, but like I said, the town is kinda dirty/crappy. I don't know if you have ever worked on an all USMC base before, but the attitude is a little "different" compared to USAF bases. They are 11's IIRC. If you have any specific questions, one of the guys from up there just transferred down here.

I'd trade Kadena for Iwakuni in a heart beat if they were 12's FWIW.

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
Well, mostly I was hoping to hear about the area. My main thing was finding out how to get ahold of a manager to get my name out there, mostly because I'm currently in the FAA but in a non-controlling job so my CTO isnt current, which I'm worried will disqualify me from consideration. Are you currently at Kadena? How do you like Japan? My wife and I have a 2yr old and another due in Jan. We want to travel a bit and both like the idea of living in Japan. As far as working traffic, its all the same to me.

SkylinesSuck

Trusted Contributor
Sep 4, 2009
asleep at work
I like the area. Iwakuni is Japan. Okinawa is Okinawa. I've met their ATM before, but I'm not sure calling up there and name dropping will do you any good. Might though, I dunno. I don't have any contact info though, sorry. No idea on the CTO thing (I don't have one) but it is an up/down. They have a real nice new facility with the largest tower cab I've ever been in. I've been in Oki since 2005, and GS since 2010. I've got a 9 month old kid now. I think Japan is a great place to raise young kids and expose them to a different culture. Japan is pretty safe over all. Past elementary school though, I wouldn't want my kid going to school here. Bullying is pretty scary compared to the States (to the point of kids dying--and not too rarely either) and the curriculum is pretty tedious. You would have access to on base schools though. As for stuff to do, there is a ton, but it depends on your interests. Lots to see and do, especially in mainland. They are GS-11 slots there as I'm sure you know. I heard they were trying to get upgraded to 12's down the road if they start seeing some more commercial traffic.

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Traffic at Iwakuni is varied and challenging, as well as steadily increasing in volume and complexity. Due to the airspace configuration and single runway configuration, that has only single direction radar and instrument approaches that require circling procedures when on the opposite runway, can make for some very interesting times.

I've had a couple of tours here active duty,and am back as a civilian, and the facility is state of the art, management supportive, and co-workers fantastic....

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
Traffic at Iwakuni is varied and challenging, as well as steadily increasing in volume and complexity. Due to the airspace configuration and single runway configuration, that has only single direction radar and instrument approaches that require circling procedures when on the opposite runway, can make for some very interesting times.

I've had a couple of tours here active duty,and am back as a civilian, and the facility is state of the art, management supportive, and co-workers fantastic....
Glad things are going well! We had the same set up at K-bay, opposite direction radar traffic with the circle, and yes it got hairy lots of times, especially because the base was short due to the 3000' mountains off the approach end.

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
So far no issues with fallout, plans to add more civilians as the CAG gets closer to moving down from Atsugi. Suggest you keep your eyes on USAJOBS....