Medical Disqualification - Any Hope?

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
I just received an e-mail yesterday stating I did not meet the medical qualifications due to kidney stones (incident 2009), migraines (incident 2008) and IBD (incident 2016). I am starting the appeal now. Does anyone have any insight into this process? Am I screwed? I do not take any medications anymore, but was prescribed medication in the past. I put all of this into my MedXPress and still got this e-mail, the AME thought it was of zero concern so I'm blindsided by this.

jayrod

Rookie
Jan 2, 2018
That sucks. I had kidney stones back in 2009 too. However, I was told by the doctor (AME) who did my medical that I had passed and was medically qualified. Haven't heard from anyone else though. I hope this doesn't apply to me :(

When did you do your medical? How long did it take for you to find out you were disqualified?

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
That sucks. I had kidney stones back in 2009 too. However, I was told by the doctor (AME) who did my medical that I had passed and was medically qualified. Haven't heard from anyone else though. I hope this doesn't apply to me :(

When did you do your medical? How long did it take for you to find out you were disqualified?

I was hospitalized for three days in 2009, in case that makes a difference. My AME appointment was March 19th and I was just informed yesterday via e-mail. I had confirmed with HR on Friday that everything was cleared except medical, so I had gotten a little excited thinking I was about to get a class date. Disappointing, to say the least.

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
When did you have you medical apt and do your drug test?
I completed all CIL requirements in February and March, including MMPI, AME appt and drug test. I just received the notification that I have not met the medical requirements yesterday morning via e-mail.

bwkar86

Rookie
Mar 4, 2011
I completed all CIL requirements in February and March, including MMPI, AME appt and drug test. I just received the notification that I have not met the medical requirements yesterday morning via e-mail.
I just had my medical done on April 10th and was hoping to hear something next week. Guess i should expect a longer wait. Im surprised they emailed you on a weekend.

jayrod

Rookie
Jan 2, 2018
Hmm! That's crazy.

I took my medical last week, Monday. I had asmtha as a child and I disclosed to the AME. The day after I received an email from the regional flight surgeon stating I needed a pulmonary function test, which I passed. I would think they dont care about my kidney stone as an age since they didn't bring it up.

Anyways, I hope you can eventually solve these obstacles.

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
Hmm! That's crazy.

I took my medical last week, Monday. I had asmtha as a child and I disclosed to the AME. The day after I received an email from the regional flight surgeon stating I needed a pulmonary function test, which I passed. I would think they dont care about my kidney stone as an age since they didn't bring it up.

Anyways, I hope you can eventually solve these obstacles.
Good luck to you. I'm hoping the appeal goes okay, I'm going to reach out to the Medical POC who e-mailed me later today to discuss further. I'm hoping this is something simple.

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
I just had my medical done on April 10th and was hoping to hear something next week. Guess i should expect a longer wait. Im surprised they emailed you on a weekend.
Depends on your region, but HR informed me that Medical can take up to 5-6 months to clear, depending on their backlog. As I've just learned, unfortunately the AME's opinion matters little in their ultimate determination.

bwkar86

Rookie
Mar 4, 2011
Depends on your region, but HR informed me that Medical can take up to 5-6 months to clear, depending on their backlog. As I've just learned, unfortunately the AME's opinion matters little in their ultimate determination.
Well that sucks. I have to take eye drops because of high eye pressure which i was concerned would disqualify me. The AME said its fine as long as im 20/20 which i am. Guess im back to being concerned.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I don't think it was the kidney stones, but the migraines that did it. In military ATC, even if you're already certified and report migraines they take your medical away immediately. Don't know if the faa does that for already certified people, but it can be disqualifying for new hires.

bobo

Newcomer
Apr 9, 2014
The sad reality is that this career field is an extreme buyer's market. The FAA can afford to pick and choose, and they have no motivation to hire anyone with any baggage, medical or otherwise (unless they're trying to hit a diversity target; if you can't help them there, well, sux2BU). They will (sometimes grudgingly) work with CPCs with medical issues, but they have no incentive risk hiring a trainee that's going to be medically DQ'd and end up spending their career flying a desk in some 'make work' position (every facility's staff offices are already full up with dead weight). It's like buying a car with an engine that's leaking oil all over the place and flunked a compression test. I'd polish up your resume and start looking at plan 'B'.

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
It was the migraines imo. I know a few people with kidney stones and have Class IIs. Migraines on the other hand, auto DQ, even in the military. Even getting frequent headaches is a bit of a no-no when it comes to medical clearances. Hope you can appeal the decision and figure out what exactly they DQ'd you for.

Mr.Tickles

Rookie
Oct 8, 2017
It was the migraines imo. I know a few people with kidney stones and have Class IIs. Migraines on the other hand, auto DQ, even in the military. Even getting frequent headaches is a bit of a no-no when it comes to medical clearances. Hope you can appeal the decision and figure out what exactly they DQ'd you for.
By no means an automatic disqualifier. The amount of migraines out there varies greatly. They may require some extra paperwork but if you look into the flight surgeon guide lines you'll see there's plenty of times someone with migraines will pass medical.

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
By no means an automatic disqualifier. The amount of migraines out there varies greatly. They may require some extra paperwork but if you look into the flight surgeon guide lines you'll see there's plenty of times someone with migraines will pass medical.
Just to be a bit clearer, migraines are an auto DQ. You can still pass medical with a medical waiver for said migraines. I would know because this happened to me as well as with sleep apnea. Auto disqualified with a waiver appeal. Now getting the waiver is the trickier part. And in the OP's case, he had 3 disqualifying conditions which may make it a bit harder. The stones are usually easy to waiver as long as you see a Urologist who can certify that you do not have any more and are not likely to have them again. Migraines are a tougher sell. Maybe since his/hers were so long ago, he might be fortunate enough to appeal and be granted a waiver.

Mr.Tickles

Rookie
Oct 8, 2017
Ah got ya. Makes sense. Probably why my medical is taking so long since I reported migraines but went ahead and sent in all the medical history with my questionnaires. Yeah I can see having 3 issues making it a little bit harder. Although I do know my flight physical is on the surgeons desk and I've already done the questionnaires so we ll see.

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
If you submit an appeal I will give you some great words of advice. Get ready for a long wait. I submitted my appeal a year ago 10Apr17 and as of 2 weeks ago they still haven’t looked at my appeal.
ugh wow, that sucks.

I just talked to HR this morning and they said that this should be an easy fix since I only had one instance of a migraine in 2008 (that required me to go get a pain reliever shot in urgent care) and one instance of kidney stones in 2009 that required a three day hospital stay due to a stint. She got my hopes up again, but trying to keep telling myself this still might not happen.

They just need me to get all my historical records (which isn't going to be easy) and get my primary care doctor to do a new scan to make sure no new kidney stones are visible, as well as confirm I don't have any prescribed medication for IBD. Hopefully with this I'll be good to go.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Do you know what they call the Dr who finishes last in medical school?

The Flight Surgeon