Medical Disqualification - Any Hope?

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Hahahaha!!
You should find out the back story of one of the regions flight surgeons who you may already be familiar with.
You can’t make that stuff up

Kazansky22

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
Depends on your region, but HR informed me that Medical can take up to 5-6 months to clear, depending on their backlog. As I've just learned, unfortunately the AME's opinion matters little in their ultimate determination.
Wondering did you already hold a Class II, like you were working as a contractor? If you did does the medical disqualification stop you from being able to renew your Class II?

HopefulApp

Rookie
Aug 9, 2016
Imo it's the migraines that dq'd you. I have sleep apnea and had a history or kidney stones. I was medically disqualified but I was told to get an xray for the kidney stones and give documentation to show I'm being treated for sleep apnea and everything was fine after that. I'm at the academy now.

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
Not gonna lie, I didn't read this whole thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating. I had kidney stones eight years before I applied. They tried to get me to get a CAT scan to prove I didn't have any more stones, but my doctor refused because, in his words, "The patient had one stone and we removed it, I won't subject them to unnecessary radiation". They ultimately ended up accepting an ultra sound. An xray probably won't cut it. The flight surgeon's assistant was frustrated as hell because she said that if I did have one, I'd just have to sign a waiver saying I'd speak up if I ever felt pain while I was in position. I asked if I could just sign the waiver and she said no. Insert eye roll here.... Anyway, this was a long time ago so procedures may have changed.

As for the headaches, I got them after I got into the agency. Ultimately we found out they were tension headaches (caused by my ridiculously tight muscles, not necessarily from stress, that's just what they call them). I had to fill out a five page q/a and I was good to go.

As for IBD... I think half the controllers in the agency have that LoL. Our eating habits and schedules don't help. That said... it is kind of a problem when you "suddenly" need to be pulled off position. IMO I think you'd do better if you had a doctor sign off that it was under control.

AM_4478

Rookie
Nov 1, 2016
Just a quick update, in case anyone else has this issue in the future. I received my FOL (and class date) last week, so it didn't take too long to clear. This is what I did:

- went to the hospital where I had treatment for the migraine (which was actually diagnosed as sinusitis) and got ALL the documentation they would give me for my hospital stay. I was charged a nominal fee of $12-13.
- went to the hospital where my kidney stone stint procedure was done and again got ALL documentation (this was like 20-30 pages) but this hospital didn't charge for the records
- made an appointment with my primary care physician to fill in the FAA paperwork, who also gave me a referral to get an abdominal CT scan ($75 copay plus $300 for the scan)

Timeline:

4/15/18 - received e-mail stating I needed to submit the Medical Special Consideration paperwork.
4/15/18-5/3/2018 - completed all requirements
5/3/2018 - submitted all documentation via e-mail, fax and FedEx'd the hardcopies
5/14/2018 - received confirmation via e-mail that everything was received and being reviewed
5/30/2018 - received e-mail advising proposed class start date, I replied the same day
5/31/2018 - FOL received

FuturePilot4u

Rookie
Apr 3, 2014
Just a quick update, in case anyone else has this issue in the future. I received my FOL (and class date) last week, so it didn't take too long to clear. This is what I did:

- went to the hospital where I had treatment for the migraine (which was actually diagnosed as sinusitis) and got ALL the documentation they would give me for my hospital stay. I was charged a nominal fee of $12-13.
- went to the hospital where my kidney stone stint procedure was done and again got ALL documentation (this was like 20-30 pages) but this hospital didn't charge for the records
- made an appointment with my primary care physician to fill in the FAA paperwork, who also gave me a referral to get an abdominal CT scan ($75 copay plus $300 for the scan)

Timeline:

4/15/18 - received e-mail stating I needed to submit the Medical Special Consideration paperwork.
4/15/18-5/3/2018 - completed all requirements
5/3/2018 - submitted all documentation via e-mail, fax and FedEx'd the hardcopies
5/14/2018 - received confirmation via e-mail that everything was received and being reviewed
5/30/2018 - received e-mail advising proposed class start date, I replied the same day
5/31/2018 - FOL received
Terminal? Enroute? Class date?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I was told by my AME I was good and passed my physical even after calling the regional flight surgeon. Then to find out a couple months later that they denied my medical clearance. Now I have been waiting for over a year on my appeal and still no response.
Yeah the AME who does your appointment has literally no authority to pass or daily anyone. Many are unfamiliar with ATC medicals and only know pilot limitations.

ATC12TREE

Newcomer
Apr 30, 2017
Get your own medical down and if needed get one out of pocket. Get written letters from your doctors etc. If they are telling you that you did not pass your medical they are also telling you could never be a pilot. I think you can still be a pilot and it is the same medical clearance more or less. Also, I would read up on the NATCA contract. Even though you are not covered under any bargaining agreement you could still argue that you meet the requirements for those who are currently in the FAA and protected under the union BA. Lastly go the way of getting a lawyer and file a lawsuit. You could argue you are being discriminated against and the FAA needs controllers anyway....you might win or they might just give up and not want to fight.