Medicine for the Common Cold While Working

PorkBarrel

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008
What's the best cold medicine to take and still be able to work? So far, I've found Tylenol Cold + Head Congestion Severe.
It's active ingredients are Phenylephrine HCI, Guaifenesin and Acetaminophen. Each of those ingredients individually are allowed according to aviationmedicine.com, NATCA's medication database source. I can't find the particular subtype of Tylenol medication on the site, but based on the individual ingredients I'd assume it's allowable to take. It does not contain dextromethorphan which is found in DayQuil and is not allowed for flying.

If anyone has other suggestions for allowed medications that work well, please let me know.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
What's the best cold medicine to take and still be able to work? So far, I've found Tylenol Cold + Head Congestion Severe.
It's active ingredients are Phenylephrine HCI, Guaifenesin and Acetaminophen. Each of those ingredients individually are allowed according to aviationmedicine.com, NATCA's medication database source. I can't find the particular subtype of Tylenol medication on the site, but based on the individual ingredients I'd assume it's allowable to take. It does not contain dextromethorphan which is found in DayQuil and is not allowed for flying.

If anyone has other suggestions for allowed medications that work well, please let me know.
That sounds as good as any to me.
To be 100% right, it'd be a call to your supervisor who then calls the flight surgeon who then approves/disapproves it.
If you're actually really sick and something over the counter just barely keeps you active, then just take sick leave because I don't want to work with someone who is sick.

What may or may not be done by some people, is just take any medication, see how you feel, and then go to work like normal if you feel good.

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
That sounds as good as any to me.
To be 100% right, it'd be a call to your supervisor who then calls the flight surgeon who then approves/disapproves it.
If you're actually really sick and something over the counter just barely keeps you active, then just take sick leave because I don't want to work with someone who is sick.

What may or may not be done by some people, is just take any medication, see how you feel, and then go to work like normal if you feel good.
Why include your sup or anyone inside the building, they have no need to know what medical stuff you have going. Call the flight surgeon, they will let you know if/how long you will be off work and will let the facility know you are medically incapacitated for x number of hours.

At our building we have folks that think they are MD's and must know everything about you. I hate that and I love it when they get a call from the flight surgeon saying that I will not be able to work for x long.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I HATE people that come to work sick. That's why you have sick days. If you come in and get me sick I won't forgive you for years and will buy your children a drum set for Christmas.

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
I can only imagine the satanic germs that are all over the strip holders
It's the keyboards and trackballs at the Z's.

I agree that if your sick don't come in....however there are too many folks that keep sick days for other uses and view using a sick day for actually being sick is a waste.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Why include your sup or anyone inside the building, they have no need to know what medical stuff you have going. Call the flight surgeon, they will let you know if/how long you will be off work and will let the facility know you are medically incapacitated for x number of hours.

At our building we have folks that think they are MD's and must know everything about you. I hate that and I love it when they get a call from the flight surgeon saying that I will not be able to work for x long.

Just the way I've seen it done before, plus I couldn't care less if people know what illness or medication I may have.

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
F|_|ck phenylephrine. Clinical trials have shown it's no more effective than placebo.

Pseudoephedrine is explicitly "acceptable" per https://www.aviationmedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Therapeutic-Drug-Guidelines-for-ATCS- Revised-31-Jul-2013.pdf (Page 9 at the bottom).

For the record, phenylephrine is bullshit. That's what replaced the actually effective drug, pseudoephedrine, after the whole meth thing started going down. You gotta go to the pharmacist counter and sign off that you aren't cooking up baby blue, but the drug is far more effective as a decongestant than phenylephrine. When you're blocked up, you will literally feel when your sinuses open up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19230461

CONCLUSIONS:

During a 6-hour observation period, a single dose of pseudoephedrine but not phenylephrine resulted in significant improvement in measures of nasal congestion. Neither phenylephrine nor pseudoephedrine had an effect on nonnasal symptoms.
Substitution of phenylephrine for pseudoephedrine as a nasal decongeststant. An illogical way to control methamphetamine abuse - Eccles - 2006 - British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

Restricting the sale of
PDE [pseudoephedrine] in order to control the illicit production of methamphetamine will deprive the
public of a safe and effective nasal decongestant and force the pharmaceutical
industry to replace PDE with PE [phenylephrine], which may be an ineffective decongestant.
AAAANYway... go ask for products containing pseudoephedrine from the pharmacist.

Last edited: