Memphis Center - ZME

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
I wanted a POD when we were moving so bad because I thought it'd be cool, they are CRAZY expensive.
Well as far as I understand, anything where the movers have to drive your crap for you, ends up in the thousands anyhow. Not sure I can fit a 3 bedroom house + garage into a single trip of uhaul'in

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
As far as moving costs are concerned, pay attention to if they charge you mileage and time from their office to where you are moving from. One of the places I got quotes from for doing an in town move did this, and it added around $100 to the quote, making their high quote even higher.

A move like this is a good time to sell off crap you don't use anymore, or can be easily ad inexpensively replaced later on. We sold off a couple of extra TVs, some lawn equipment, a bed, and a couple of pieces of furniture and a bunch of other assorted junk before coming out here. We were fortunate that some family members offered to hold onto a few pieces for us until we moved into a place with more space. My brother in law ended up getting a free rental of a 60 gallon air compressor for two years as a result.

There is no problem in getting change of station leave as there was in times past here. Not to say you couldn't eventually get it, but the training department was rather inflexible about your arrival date and the amount of time given to get your maps drawn and some other CBIs done once you got here. Now, if you want to take it on the front end, they have no issues with it and the timer for your maps and tests don't start until the day you get here.

ATC_VOL

Jan 20, 2010
As far as moving costs are concerned, pay attention to if they charge you mileage and time from their office to where you are moving from. One of the places I got quotes from for doing an in town move did this, and it added around $100 to the quote, making their high quote even higher.

A move like this is a good time to sell off crap you don't use anymore, or can be easily ad inexpensively replaced later on. We sold off a couple of extra TVs, some lawn equipment, a bed, and a couple of pieces of furniture and a bunch of other assorted junk before coming out here. We were fortunate that some family members offered to hold onto a few pieces for us until we moved into a place with more space. My brother in law ended up getting a free rental of a 60 gallon air compressor for two years as a result.

There is no problem in getting change of station leave as there was in times past here. Not to say you couldn't eventually get it, but the training department was rather inflexible about your arrival date and the amount of time given to get your maps drawn and some other CBIs done once you got here. Now, if you want to take it on the front end, they have no issues with it and the timer for your maps and tests don't start until the day you get here.
If you actually need to use all of your change of station leave consecutively, then either take it all before you arrive for your first day, or plan on waiting about 2-3 weeks until you complete Stage 2.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 11, 2008
Please don't use this thread anymore for TOL, FOL, or anything about hiring. This thread is for information about the facility (see the read before posting sticky on this forum). I will be moving all of these posts to a new thread under the facility general discussion forum titled "Memphis Center - ZME Hiring Information"

cwshngton

Newcomer
Mar 8, 2014
Hey! Anybody on here have information about how I can come visit the facility? I'm an air traffic controller in the USAF, born and raised in Memphis and would LOVE to see the facility. TIA!

BreezyBeachLife

Trusted Contributor
Jan 23, 2013
ZKC
Hey! Anybody on here have information about how I can come visit the facility? I'm an air traffic controller in the USAF, born and raised in Memphis and would LOVE to see the facility. TIA!
Google their facility number until you get a hold of the right person and just ask to tour it. Pretty simple honestly

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
I'm 2/3rds through the academy now. Get done in a month. Going to try and visit the center this weekend if I find the time when I'm in town. Looking forward to it.

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
3229 Democrat Rd.
Memphis, Tennessee 38118
Phone: 901-368-8103

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
Gym, no, cafe, just a kitchenette and academy style fridges and a freezer, and daycare is co located but you have to pay and its open to the public

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
There is a lunch room but no food service in the center. The kitchen burned down about 7 years ago and the food provider never came back. The replaced it with about 8 vending machines that offer things like sandwiches, frozen meals, etc. They are here everyday filling it up, basically gas station quality food. They do have food trucks come down to the center 1-2 times a week, which is nice.

Other than that there are basically no amenities on site. Over the past 5 years they have built tons of offices and rebuilt all the "executive" bathrooms and everything on that side of the building looks nice. The controller side is awful. Old couches, and a bathroom that has about 50% of the sinks/toilets OTS. They are going to re do out side as well, but it keeps getting delayed. They just rebuilt the old control room, with more offices and nothing for controllers.

Daycare is there, but basically provides no value because we obviously work all kinds of shifts and it will only help you on day shifts.

flyinrico

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2009
I'm transferring to ZME soon and have a few questions about the "facility low and high maps."

From what I read in the ZME Training Order 3120.24, you only have to draw the center facility low and high chart ONCE during stage 2/ILT. Is that really the only time you have to draw the facility charts? I read you have to draw the area of specialization low and high charts multiple times in training adding different elements as you progress in training.

Any recent information on this?

woodfinx

Rookie
Aug 22, 2009
Memphis
Used to be twice, once in D school and again in R school. If you're radar certified you can elect to skip D school.

edit: Asked our training manager. 3 times for each.

ATC_VOL

Jan 20, 2010
You draw your area maps 3 times. Once right when you get there, again before D school, and then a third time before R school.

The map you draw prior to D school is slightly more complicated (more mileages, etc) than what you draw the other 2 times.

Only have to draw the center maps once when you first get here.

flyinrico

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2009
Thanks woodfinx and ATC_VOL. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Oh...and...Ro ti!

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
Anyone know anything about "area 3"

I believe that's where I'm going

CPC transfer from ZAU
Pm me your info and I'll forward it to the area Rep if you have specific questions.

It's considered the "new" area from an airspace redraw 8-10 or so years ago. There is a lot of good folks there and the seniority is a little on the lower side compared to other areas. For example im 26 in my area and I would be in the low 30's in 3.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk