Memphis Center - ZME

fsteele

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Memphis, TN.
Hey guys,

No real new information to give you. I read where someone says we will get 32 people next year. I didn't even have that information. Right now, I believe we are only getting four more this year. JTomes asked about tours. We can setup tours at the facility. You can email me and let me know when you want to visit Memphis and I will fill out all the paperwork.

Keep your heads up. It's a painful process that we all have been through. I know people that have waited years and then some people get a call in a month. It's just the way it works.

You need Motivation to wait???

Just think about working a job, that you go in and just talk to planes. Take a break about every 45 minutes to an hour. Almost 4 weeks of PAID vacation. A retirement plan, plus your 401k. The best medical insurance. (My kids cost 15.00 dollars and 20.00 dollars for us to have) Great people. Lifetime friends. Oh, did I forget the money? I am not bragging by any means. I just want you to stay motivated... $110,000 /year is my salary. My wife stays home with the kids while I work my little 40 hour week. Something we could have never done while I worked in a restuarant while waiting for my call.

It's a great job and worth the wait. I will keep you posted ASAP when I hear something. Hang in there. If you need help, have questions, just email me.

Sincerely,

Fred Steele
Memphis Center Assistant Reloaded Rep
frederick.steele@natca.net

Kelly423

Aug 5, 2009
Hey guys,

No real new information to give you. I read where someone says we will get 32 people next year. I didn't even have that information. Right now, I believe we are only getting four more this year. JTomes asked about tours. We can setup tours at the facility. You can email me and let me know when you want to visit Memphis and I will fill out all the paperwork.

Keep your heads up. It's a painful process that we all have been through. I know people that have waited years and then some people get a call in a month. It's just the way it works.

You need Motivation to wait???

Just think about working a job, that you go in and just talk to planes. Take a break about every 45 minutes to an hour. Almost 4 weeks of PAID vacation. A retirement plan, plus your 401k. The best medical insurance. (My kids cost 15.00 dollars and 20.00 dollars for us to have) Great people. Lifetime friends. Oh, did I forget the money? I am not bragging by any means. I just want you to stay motivated... $110,000 /year is my salary. My wife stays home with the kids while I work my little 40 hour week. Something we could have never done while I worked in a restuarant while waiting for my call.

It's a great job and worth the wait. I will keep you posted ASAP when I hear something. Hang in there. If you need help, have questions, just email me.

Sincerely,

Fred Steele

Thanks for the lift Fred! =)

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
Just talked to MG and she said that I should expect a Class date in FY2011. She said that tentatively she can't tell me when because the class date is not within the 90 day window that they can tell people. Who knows?

fsteele

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Memphis, TN.
Hey everyone,

Just to keep you in the "loop" of things. I have heard that we are expecting 32-34 trainees next year (2011). Only one more for the year and he will be here in two weeks. However, people are starting to get OKC dates. I have three right now that have a date in November 2010. So, that means they are starting to move more people through the process as more room opens up at OKC.

At ZME, we are starting a D-class and I believe the facility is trying to push more people through training because of the number of people we are getting next year.

Keep your heads up. Enjoy the Hoildays with your families. It will happen!

Also, if you do get a date, email me ASAP. I am trying to stay updated on who is coming and when. If you have questions or anything that I can help you with; do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Fred Steele

Dkennedy

Trusted Member
Dec 18, 2008
Minnesota
Fred your awesome keeping ZME people optimistic through all this! I wish the guy at ZMP (where I am going) would get on here and keep us northern guys going too!

fsteele

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Memphis, TN.
Hey everyone,

I just received my list of trainees for March 2011. I have been touch with most of you, but I am missing 6 trainees.

Jacqueline Reimink
Edward Uitendaal
Nathaniel Linde
Chris Hibbs
Stephen Nelson
Justin Saint

If you have a class date, contact me so I can send you a Memphis Center Packet. This packet contains useful information on Memphis Center, NATCA, where to live and what to expect.

For everyone else, they are starting to give new hires OKC dates. Im not trying to build your hopes up, however hopefully soon you will get a date if you haven't received one yet. I will let you know any more information that I hear from my end. Hang in there!

Sincerely,

Frederick Steele
Memphis Center NATCA Assistant Reloaded Rep

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
Fred you are awesome man.. Thank you for taking the time to put info out that you receive.. I'm not going to Memphis.. But, rather Chicago...however, i still appreciate you reachin out.. Wish there were more like you..

1984Sutphen

Newcomer
Sep 24, 2009
I'm headed to Memphis as well! Took the ATSAT in June 2008 and received a TOL in Jan 2009. Still waiting for a class date! Hope to see some of you there!

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
I can't believe you haven't received a class date.. There are several people from who just got class dates that received their TOL 6+ months after you... Did u re-direct or something?

1984Sutphen

Newcomer
Sep 24, 2009
No I didn't redirect or anything like that. Not sure what is taking them so long, but I'm sure they are doing everything they can to get me in. Congratulations to those that have class dates and I'll make it there when its my turn. Take Care!

fsteele

Newcomer
Jul 3, 2009
Memphis, TN.
Hey guys. Just keeping you up to speed. Nothing really new at the ZME. We have a D-side class of 11 people right now. They should finish up in the beginning of next year. What that means for the ones out in OKC, that you should not have a huge delay once you get here for a D-class. If you don't know what I am talking about, let me try to explain. A-sides is the position for the strips. D-side is the R-side assistant. The R-side is the Radar Controller (where you want to be). Hopefully a new R-side class will be going in the next couple of months. So, people are moving through training.

Now about training. I am a controller, a Reloaded Rep (which helps out the new people coming in the door) and a trainer. I have some advice for you guys that I think you need to hear. This is only my personal opinion.

Lately, there has been too MANY trainees come through the door with an attitude problem. Some people come in and think this job is just given away because we are short staff. As of right now, we have about 4 trainees "washed out" of training. Not all had bad attitudes, but some in my opinion did. You will earn this job, no questions about it. We all want you to be successful in this job, however we are not going to "baby" you and hold your hand. You have to earn it yourself. I will give you all the tools that you need and I will support you in your training as a trainer, but I expect a hard working individual that wants this job more than anything. No one is going to motivate you to study or to try. You are all adults and need to motivate yourself. It cannot be just about the money. It has to be more. Take pride in this career choice. Its a great job and it will challenge you everyday. Motivate yourself before going to the Academy. Motivate your family to stand behind you. You will need them. I needed my wife and I was very lucky to have her support. With that kind of attitude, it will be very hard for you to fail. Either in this job or something else in life. It will be a challenge to get through training. You will have ups and downs, but you will get through them. Once it's all said and done, you will have your CPC. You will have so much pride in yourself. Pride that you would never have if I gave you the job. You will be part of a family. A family of people that make situations that seem impossible, possible. Not everyone can face our challenges day in and day out. Take pride in your profession and let us know you want to be a part of the family.

Alright, my father-son-daughter speech is over! I hope all of you enjoy the holidays with your families. If you have questions or need help on something, send me an email. I wish you all luck getting a OKC Academy date as a present for Christmas!

Sincerely,
Frederick Steele

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
Hey Fred do you know if the numbers are going to change much as far as retirement and other associated number changes? MG said the ATO will be releasing those numbers hopefully soon?

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
Anybody have a contact for a tour at ZME? I'm headed to the Memphis area on wednesday and Thursday and would love to take a tour of the facility I have my TOL for. I had a contact but unfortunately lost it

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Fred is the reloaded rep meaning, new guys to NATCA basically and I think he should be there.

Frederick Steele
Memphis Center NATCA Assistant Reloaded Rep

I'll will be there on Thursday night if that is a day you want to go.

hallock36@gmail.com
404-702-634

Or if you want to set up directly with the facility and have some old management fart show you around I can go get that number too.

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
Just for the sake of having the "ol farts" number can I get it? I'll be actually boarding a flight back to MSP Thursday evening but thanks for the offer. I sent a email to Fred maybe i'll call him tomorrow. Thanks for the help.