Memphis Center - ZME

DuckSlayer18

Jun 15, 2009
Midland, GA
Selected for an interview at ZME from the march 2012 panels, anyone else get ZME from this last panel? I was pretty excited but I've reading up from prior posts and looking at class dates, kind of bummed now. I'm just guessing but it seems as if it might be FY 2014 or later ( based on hiring 12-18/year)until they get down the list to where I would be if I'm recommended for hire after the interview. Any word on if ZME will pick up more than 12 in FY 2013? Just kind of wondering since I would be at the bottom of what seems to be a long list if I would be given a redirect possibly or just forced to wait forever.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
I'm pretty sure ZME is going to pick up more than 12 each year. I thought it was more like 40 a year from what I heard. IT could have changed, as the numbers change a lot. Plus we are getting ERAM finally in the next year and training is going to cease for a while because they have to use the sims to run ERAM training.

Nov 2, 2009
My info is dated but I believe UNDgrad is probably correct when it comes to 40 a year. I know they were originally planned for 12 last year and the coming years. However, I guess the powers at be realized that 12 a year would lead to a staffing crisis and was supposed to increase ZME's allotment. Now what it was increased to is mystery but I know management was asking for at least 40.

Are you guys to the point of doing OT pretty frequently UNDgrad?

BTW Duckslayer congrats on getting selected to ZME. I doubt they will give you a redirect. I already asked and was told that they have the people for most facilities lined up they just don't have enough seats at OKC. ZME appears to be in the same boat as just about every where else when it comes to OKC being clogged up.

DuckSlayer18

Jun 15, 2009
Midland, GA
well i hope the 40 hires is true, and i really hope there is no re-direct in my future. I knew there would be a long wait to be hired, heck i've been waiting through panels since 2008, so this is nothing new, just hoping to start a new job sooner rather than later so i can quit the crummy one i have right now.
thanks for the help beefy and und, maybe ill see y'all at zme sometime

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
In my area, overtime is rare. In other areas you can get an overtime every paycheck or so. It just depends. I think Memphis is going to get hit hard with retirements over the next 3 years, thus thas why they are getting a ton of people. 5 people in my area alone will be retiring within the next 8 months.

IMO ZME is a pretty sweet gig. Level 12 pay, probably not level 12 traffic. I believe we only get the pay due to complexity factors within our airspace. No one way sectors a ton of crossing traffic. Cost of Living is pretty low around here. The only thing that sucks is the city itself. Only 1 major sports team, that will probably leave town sometime. No major college teams(sorry U of Memphis sucks). You will run out of things to do, but by then you will probably have a family to keep you busy.

Nov 2, 2009
My dad's cousin has been telling me for a while that ZME is going to get hammered by 2015 with retirements. Could be in the next couple year the CPCs like you will get tons of OT because the rest of us will still be developmentals.

I definitely don't mind being selected for ZME I just tried to redirect a few months ago just so I can get started in the FAA. I guess everyone has the same idea so it's virtually impossible, especially with OKC being clogged up. Don't complain about your sports team. Here in KC we have the Chiefs and the Royals. Nothing like having your city increase taxes to support a crappy team with horrible management.

Last edited:

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
That's why I live in MS. 15 mins to work. Nothing to do with Memphis or Shelby County. Just the stigma of living in MS, generally the Fattest, Stupidest state in the Union.

Nov 2, 2009
Just the stigma of living in MS, generally the Fattest, Stupidest state in the Union.
Come on now we all know that isn't true. Lousiana is the the worst =p

I have a ton of family in Mississippi on my dad's side. And as bad as Ol' Miss can be Lousiana makes it look down right civilized. My main gripe with Mississippi is that Jackson, schools, and health care all suck. Oh and I prefer to eat some food that isn't deep fried and battered every now and then...course that's just Southern cooking as a whole.

My grandmother grew up in that northern area of Mississippi that a lot of ZME controllers live in. I don't remember the name but it was a pretty nice area and didn't seem to have the horrible swamp humidity that southern Mississippi has.

Is there really anywhere in the Memphis are on the TN side worth living in? I heard German Town is supposed to be nice if you can ignore the flood damage. Or do I just need to resign myself to living in Mississippi when I finally get called up?

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
I work in the East Area over Nashville, Bowling Green, Hunstville, Chattanooga, etc.

Actually most of the suburbs of Memphis are pretty nice. As long as your address isn't actually Memphis then you are probably OK. There are some nice places downtown and midtown that are okay but like any city it has it problems.

In MS most people are living in Olive Branch, Southaven, or Hernando.
In TN its Collierville, Germantown, Cordova, Arlington and some even further East than that.

Nov 2, 2009
I think she lived in Olive Branch.

UNDgrad,
You mentioned you work in the East Area. So do they have you mainly just work one area and you don't really switch around?

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
I think she lived in Olive Branch.

UNDgrad,
You mentioned you work in the East Area. So do they have you mainly just work one area and you don't really switch around?
Exactly. Every center is setup this way. ZME has 6 areas. Each area has 6-7 sectors with a mix of Low, high and ultra high altitudes. There is so much information to know about each sector that it would be nearly impossible to know it all about more than 10 sectors or so. Especially on the low altitude sectors. It also provides a better service to the aircraft since we are experts in the airspace.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I work in the East Area over Nashville, Bowling Green, Hunstville, Chattanooga, etc.
So that's a no on Kewanee, does Hamilton work that far north? Just want to know who I can yell at for refusing me on point outs into Tuscaloosa, AL. =P

arg3b

Feb 16, 2009
Memphis, TN
So that's a no on Kewanee, does Hamilton work that far north? Just want to know who I can yell at for refusing me on point outs into Tuscaloosa, AL. =P
Im training in Area 6 (formally Central Area) which is Hamilton, everything between Nashville and Memphis and south around Starkville, MS. But you cant yell at me cause Im only in D-school and havent even made a point out yet! :patriot:

Neckbeard

Rookie
Dec 2, 2011
That's why I live in MS. 15 mins to work. Nothing to do with Memphis or Shelby County. Just the stigma of living in MS, generally the Fattest, Stupidest state in the Union.
I got my TOL for ZME in January 2012 and tentative clearances done in Feb 12.

I want to live in northern MS and be close to work like you are but I am genuinely torn about living in MS because of the reputation.

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
I got my TOL for ZME in January 2012 and tentative clearances done in Feb 12.

I want to live in northern MS and be close to work like you are but I am genuinely torn about living in MS because of the reputation.
Don't forget to take into consideration that Tennessee has no state income tax as opposed to Mississippi.