Memphis Center - ZME

Nov 2, 2009
Don't forget to take into consideration that Tennessee has no state income tax as opposed to Mississippi.

Really? That's cool, I thought only Florida and Texas had no state income tax. Btw, I heard through the grape vine that I should be next on the list for ZME and might be at the academy in October. We'll see soon hopefully.

slimjim4267

Jul 28, 2009
Memphis
Really? That's cool, I thought only Florida and Texas had no state income tax. Btw, I heard through the grape vine that I should be next on the list for ZME and might be at the academy in October. We'll see soon hopefully.

I sure hope so man. I got picked up in March 2011 also. She told me depending on how many ZME needs I should be going in the fall. Fingers crossed!!!

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
We are in desperate need here. A few area are having OT regularly scheduled. The only thing that might slow yall down is ERAM. The lab is about to close for a few months for ERAM training and then its going live early to mid next year. We already have a ton of trainees just waiting for the next classes as well, even though our need is great.

Nov 2, 2009
My info isn't from HR it is from my family member that works there that is in management. So at the end of the day my info is probably good but we should all know by this point that the FAA can and will change anything and everything in the hiring process.

UNDgrad06: Well hopefully you can make some of that OT chedda while you are young then the rest of us will get in there very soon and help you guys out. I bet the training staff is really motivated to have the trainees succeed. You guys have been a big help to the rest of us on the forum so I figure the least I can do is by you a brew or a pizza or something when I finally get there. Maybe BBQ, haven't had Memphis style BBQ in years. It's my 2nd favorite behind Kansas City style.

Neckbeard

Rookie
Dec 2, 2011
We have a ton of NATCA reps.

NATCA president is a guy named Neil. I can get your all the contact info if you like.
Each area also has an area rep as well.
Ok, I didn't realize that. I saw earlier here a NATCA person was posting on here about training updates and things like that, that's who I was looking for specifically.

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
That guy was the NATCA Reloaded Rep, he's in charge of all the newbies and getting them situated and stuff. That guy is actually a area rep now and no longer the reloaded rep

RayK

Newcomer
Jul 18, 2011
Memphis, TN
I'm OTS as well. Pubnat 8. My degree is at least in aviation (airport management) but I'm not cit, for better or worse.

UNDgrad06, you should be like me and just hope that RayK is the hottie on the right =p...Gonna be awkward in class if that turns out to be in true. "Ya ummm I'm totally not ghorigthebeefy I'm the other OTSer Pubnat 8 guy going to ZME. Not sure what happened to that dude. What's stuckmic?"

Not going to be awkward. Its my wife and I take it as a huge compliment.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Yeah, we are actually moving the trainees along pretty good now, even with ERAM coming along. They just started a R side class of 16 people, which is huge, even though it is going to take 4 months due to ERAM taking half of the lab. THe downside to all these trainees is that we are seeing more and more wash out of training then before. I think its because we had a few slip through who were less than stellar and people are cracking down a little.

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
Wow that's crazy to hear the ERAM isn't holding things up as much as expected. Every time someone mentions washing out, I get bummed out. I can't imagine how rough that is. I have to admit though, everything I have ever done is go into something when they just changed the rules to be tougher, or less good things about it. Hopefully it will only encourage me to do better, since my last 6 years in the Army did the same. Thanks for the update UNDgrad06. Hope I get to meet you sometime in the near future. :)

Oh and it looks like bwood524 got a class date of 19 nov. Grats :)

Nov 2, 2009
Well today was my last day of work. Now I have a little bit less than 2 weeks to get packed, go visit the grand parents in Denver, and finish up last second paperwork for HR once she gets back to me on a question. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p STOKED!!!

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
Ghorigthebeefy, I'm glad everything is winding up for you. I did have a question that you may be able to answer. How does insurance work in between jobs? You have an acad show up date, and you've left your job. If between then, you need to use your health insurance, are you covered?

My wife is pregnant right now, and I may have to struggle with this issue in the future. :p

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Chances are going to be good for a while here. We seem to be washing out more controllers, which is a good thing IMO. Plus we will probably have a lot of retirements over the next 5-7 years. However after that its going to start to slow down. I know in my area if nobody leaves I looking at being #12 in seniority for about 10 years before I get to move up. There a big gap of no hires from about 95-2005 here.

JNick45

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2012
Chances are going to be good for a while here. We seem to be washing out more controllers, which is a good thing IMO. Plus we will probably have a lot of retirements over the next 5-7 years. However after that its going to start to slow down. I know in my area if nobody leaves I looking at being #12 in seniority for about 10 years before I get to move up. There a big gap of no hires from about 95-2005 here.
That's good to hear. I flew down and took a tour of ZME last spring. I like the facility a lot and everyone I met there was really nice. Seems like it would be a good working environment.

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
Heard from HR that I'm supposed to go to OKC in June (TOL was this time last year). She did say she won't be able to give me a firm date until 60 days prior, so of course it's always subject to change - but it's better than no information at all, like the last year.

I did have a question, maybe UNDgrad06, you might be able to answer this? Trying to figure out how people are moving their families to the facility area in a short period of time. My house/wife/kids will be in Texas while I attend OKC, so I'm wondering what is the usual for people moving their families after graduation. Do they go back to their home town to pack up, or is it a direct shot from OKC to your new facility?

disregard last.

http://www.stuckmic.com/faa-academy-general-discussion/22163-time-between-grad-reporting-facility.html

"You get one official travel day, regardless of where you are going, meaning if you graduate on wed. You are due at your facility on friday.

Now you are entitled to change of station leave, you receive 64 hours, but technically you haven't earned it until you actually arrive at your facility. Most facilities will let you use some/all of this time between okc and your facility.

The last thing to keep in mind is that you will earn 4 hours of annual leave per paycheck you get in OKC (paid every two weeks) and you can use annual leave in between okc to your facility as well."

"...Or 6 hours per pay period if your VRA or DoD with more than 3 years of service...."

Equinox

Apr 1, 2011
Beaumont, TX
@ spades - I do appreciate the encouraging words.

@ DS18 - I know what you mean man, I'm dispatching tug boats of all things, barely scraping by.

I'm continually researching methods of moving a household of my wife and 2 kids, and for the most part have decide to tentatively go with the "PODS" option, rather than classical movers. I will have to pack all that crap on my intermediate leave days. S'why I was concerned.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I'm continually researching methods of moving a household of my wife and 2 kids, and for the most part have decide to tentatively go with the "PODS" option, rather than classical movers. I will have to pack all that crap on my intermediate leave days. S'why I was concerned.
I wanted a POD when we were moving so bad because I thought it'd be cool, they are CRAZY expensive.