Miami Center - ZMA

Whirlybird19

Chief Editor
Nov 22, 2008
Phoenix
I can't really say what the hiring outlook is but I know they have a lot of trainees there right now, and quite a few in the pipeline for OKC. But from what I'm able to read on here and speaking with managers from ZAB, ZFW, and ZMA, that trend is pretty consistant with most centers right now.

IF you look at the last two selection panels there were people selected in January to ZMA but very few to ZJX. If you check out the map Rossta made for the very last panel selections you will see that it doenst have anyone on there for ZMA and a crap load for ZJX. I dont really know what that means, but my best guess is that they hire in groups like that because they tend to send people in bunches from the same facility to OKC. I could be totally wrong. Its just a thought. But I would think during one of the panels in FY10 they will do some hiring for ZMA, as well as all other centers. But as most people will tell you, its nearly impossible to get handed the facility want. You just kinda have to be in the right place at the right time and hope your lucky!

captainkurt99

Newcomer
Jun 25, 2008
I am currently training at ZMA. I got there in November, and started the next phase of training on April 29th. We're in the radar lab right now, finish d-side training in 3 weeks then we go straight to r-side training and finish that on October 3rd.

There are a bunch of new trainees there now, and what is going to delay many of them is the ERAM training which starts in April or May next year, so they can only fit one more class in after mine before the long training delays will start, I was lucky and only had to wait 6 months.

Frankyj22

Newcomer
Aug 20, 2009
Sounds like we have all been waiting for a long time. I got my tenative offer in Sep, 2008 and just received my class date for this Oct. I'm am clueless about this entire process, and my main concern is where to live once I get to Miami. I'm from Tx, and not familiar with the area at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
i would suggest to avoid anything south of the center unless you are planning on spending big bucks right away or becoming a dope dealer lol. look for miramar or Hialeah gardens, don't forget the gardens part or you will feel like you moved to a different country.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
i would suggest to avoid anything south of the center unless you are planning on spending big bucks right away or becoming a dope dealer lol. look for miramar or Hialeah gardens, don't forget the gardens part or you will feel like you moved to a different country.
All of Miami is a different country.

That said. There are a number of places you could live for a reasonable price as long as you have no qualms about being a SEVERE minority. I would recommend areas around Tamiami (pricier), Doral (pretty ghetto but nice areas), Pembroke Pines (via the FL turnpike), or the Cutler/Cutler Bay areas...

All are pretty decent places to stay, but unless you are cuban or haitian, you are not likely to find yourself around your own, no matter your nationality...

My $.02

OldController

Newcomer
Feb 25, 2009
Any word if ZMA is going to finally put a save pay/PCS bid out for CPC's or is the ATM still acting like the budget is coming out of her/his pocket?

OldController

Newcomer
Feb 25, 2009
Things are very quiet from the ZMA workforce. How are things going with staffing? One or two years ago staffing was everywhere in the news now there is nothing. Did you guys hire a large group of superstars and get them all checked out? Who is your ATM and how long have they been there? Are they leaving soon? Are you fully staffed with FLM's like most facilities or is ZMA getting ready to hire more FLM's? Do you anticipate another round of retirees in 2010. Is Steve Wallace still the FacRep? Where can I access NATCA updates from ZMA? How's the weather?

FALCON

May 7, 2009
Alaska
So then they really need some bodies there right now? How many of you have been picked up for Miami Center recently?

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
I remember when I applied they filled up quick. I only know one guy from pub5/6 who is going to ZMA. So far I did not see anyone else get ZMA for pubs 5/6

UMCane

Newcomer
Feb 3, 2010
Richmond
Has anyone received a TOL for ZMA since the June 2009 PEPC?
I'm a pubnat 5, attended the August 2009 PEPC in Atlanta and I have a TOL for ZMA. I originally received a TOL for Enroute Washington but I requested a redirect to ZMA and they granted me my request. But I just recently read the horror stories about the Miami facility and now I'm getting nervous about my decision. Are there any updates about the current conditions in Miami? Anyone received class dates recently?

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
Well I believe it is a level 12. It will be hard to get use to but if you put your mind to it you should be fine. Miami is a busy city, almost like NYC, but it's the worlds playground. I wouldn't recommend going there if you are an OTS applicant. Everyone flies in and out of there. Just be glad you aren't stuck at NY TRACON!

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
Oh my fault. I assumed it was a 12 since KMIA is a level 12. I don't understand how it could be an 11? I guess their TRACON brings in more than ZMA????
There a 12 because they are an up/down. They would probably be a 10 or 11 when they get split.

Look at Denver Center. They are a 10. The tracon is a 11 and the tower is a 12. Make sense?

icemon

Newcomer
Apr 24, 2010
ZMA is a level 11. Our traffic count is such that it should have been bumped up to a level 12 in March 2005. This was sent to arbitration and NATCA won, but the FAA has appealed that decision and it has been waiting for that appeal for over a year now. Training process was really slow for a few years, but it has gotten better. Staffing is still a little short, especially in some areas. There are many that are eligible to retire, but are waiting for the outcome of the level 12 arbitration as it could mean some serious backpay. Most people who work here live in Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Davie, Weston, or down south in Kendall or even down in Homestead. Our previous chief retired in January and right now we have a temporary ATM until a permanent ATM is selected.