Miami Center - ZMA

jsholly22

Rookie
Jul 6, 2010
Naples, FL
Anyone talk to CS lately? This 2.5 year TOL is really getting old.... I haven't bothered to call, don't want to hear the same old story "we don't know anything, but will call you when we do". I have to say for an gency that is "worried" about the current/upcoming controller shortage, they really don't seem to be trying to do much about it...

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Anyone talk to CS lately? This 2.5 year TOL is really getting old.... I haven't bothered to call, don't want to hear the same old story "we don't know anything, but will call you when we do". I have to say for an gency that is "worried" about the current/upcoming controller shortage, they really don't seem to be trying to do much about it...
Welcome to the FAA. Don't expect things to change once you're employed either.

jorgeluis161

Nov 13, 2009
Hello-

I was wondering if anyone knew what staffing levels are like at ZMA... Just to see if I would make it this FY... TOL Feb 2012... I knew there are a few 2011 TOLs ahead in the wait... Thanks!

buckeye10

Trusted Member
Nov 27, 2008
Just thought I'd revive this thread and see if anyone on here is at ZMA. How's training, staffing, etc...these days.

wilme861

May 20, 2009
We are short and getting shorter...

We have our first two new trainees in over a year with no more at the academy or going to the academy this fiscal year, or so I hear, so the training department is wide open.

freshav8tor

Trusted Contributor
Jul 19, 2009

We have our first two new trainees in over a year with no more at the academy or going to the academy this fiscal year, or so I hear, so the training department is wide open.
Well I'm interested! lol Just waiting on FOL, hopefully that's a choice to pick from in OKC.

buckeye10

Trusted Member
Nov 27, 2008

Cool thanks. Pretty decent environment there?

chebinski

Newcomer
Dec 6, 2011
Alot of us were waiting for ZMA for a couple of years and were recently redirected out so I would think the hiring is going to be slow there for a while.

choppy777

Mar 30, 2010

I'm at the academy right now with about a week and a half left to go. Hopefully I will be there in a couple of weeks.

C

charliezuluatc

Is Everglades short staffed? That was a good area to start out in.

wilme861

May 20, 2009
Is Everglades short staffed? That was a good area to start out in.
Sorry for the late answer, yeah they are pretty short. It's definitely not the easiest area but each area has it's own quirks so it doesn't really matter what area you get honestly. Ocean area is too now though so both areas are getting most every trainee for the time being.

Wags

Newcomer
May 7, 2014
Received a 01/05/2015 class date. Anyone else from ZMA in this? 3.5 years since TOL, hah.

Mryenko

Oct 18, 2010
ZMA
Kick its ass. We just had another one of our trainees wash out at the academy.

And if anyone asks (they won't,) you want to come to Everglades. It's where the cool people work (no, it isn't.)

Wags

Newcomer
May 7, 2014
Hah, sounds good, I plan on kicking its ass thoroughly. Hopefully it works out that way. Yes Fresh, CTI, also responded on the other thread.