Miami Center - ZMA

aarmbru

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2014
Hey guys, I just graduated the academy and am considering choosing Miami. I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on how they like working there, the training environment, and the average time it takes to CPC and I was also wondering if anyone has recommendations as to where I should start looking for an apartment.

jaxpilot

Jun 12, 2009
Miami, FL
Hey guys, I just graduated the academy and am considering choosing Miami. I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on how they like working there, the training environment, and the average time it takes to CPC and I was also wondering if anyone has recommendations as to where I should start looking for an apartment.
Id say 70% of the controllers live north in Broward County. If you have a family or are looking to start one soon, that is probably the cheaper option. When I was there I always lived in Dade County but I was young and single. It all depends on whether you wanna be near the action or in the suburbs.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Yeah, look north. Tamiami/Kendall, Homestead is kinda cheap but also a bit ghetto. Not to mention the traffic going south around the airport area to dade land is pretty bad. The center is located a few miles NW of the airport right off the palmetto expressway. I like West Miramar, P.Pines, Weston area personally. Even Davie has some really nice areas but it's a longer drive

Stay away from Hialeah IMO

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Yeah, look north. Tamiami/Kendall, Homestead is kinda cheap but also a bit ghetto. Not to mention the traffic going south around the airport area to dade land is pretty bad. The center is located a few miles NW of the airport right off the palmetto expressway. I like West Miramar, P.Pines, Weston area personally. Even Davie has some really nice areas but it's a longer drive

Stay away from Hialeah IMO

Would a commute from Fort Lauderdale be feasible?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Yeah, Ft Lauderdale is great and plenty of controllers live out that way. The tower/tracon is on the west side of the airport and the drive isn't all that bad usually. Id say about 45 and its all highway... if you look at google maps, many take I-95 to the Palmetto Expressway (826). Taking I-95 south of the Palmetto is a nightmare, haha

Ft Lauderdale is a great area to live too. Lots to do, especially if you like the water

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I live south in Cutler Bay. I love it, it's a 25 minute commute and the prices are reasonable to rent. Buying is a little more money, but worth it. Broward is no better than Dade, they're the same (but different).

It took me 3 years from the moment I walked into the facility to the day I checked out.

Webheadfred

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2010
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale 13 years and commuted. Not bad at all. I walked in the door in May '88 and was checked out in March 91. Good times.

hokielaurie

Rookie
Sep 16, 2013
Just got a pTOL with a projected Enroute OKC training of July 2016. Anyone know if ZMA is short staffed / looking to bring in trainees in the Sept timeframe?

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
Yes. But, your guess is good as mine whether they offer it or not.

Also I see you posted in about 10 other centers... honestly it's probably ZOA/ZNY or ZMA, but who knows.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
Depends. There can be a lot of factors with training delays, the area you get, how quickly you're understanding things. I have a buddy who's ZMA. He's been there for 6-7months and he's just now starting on the floor working on his D-Sides

RogerThat

Mar 30, 2012
Question for the guys who work at ZMA - Are you happy to go to work everyday? Are you happy with the work environment/people/management? Thanks

Adam

Jaraad1987

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2017
I'm a trainee ZMA. I've been here since May. It's a really nice place to work. Manangmet is management but the work relationship is better than most facilities. The people at the center are good to work with. If you have a decent personality, come into the building not cocky and ready to learn you won't have any problems. Of course there are some people who are difficult to work but they are few and far between. Cost of living is a little higher but a lot of trainees have found affordable rent in Ft lauderale and on the beach plus the weather is always great. For the most part I enjoy coming to work and can't see myself going anywhere else.