Midwest Transfer?

RVG86

Mar 19, 2012
With the way FAA hiring is trending it seems like ill be working contract for awhile. Originally I applied to midwest with the intent of working at my hometown airport but at the time they were fully staffed so I took what they had available. I like my current facility and coworkers but the fact that midwest operates a tower in my hometown is very tempting especially after spending 5 years in the military never being home.

My question is, has anyone ever done a facility transfer within midwest? What is the process? Do I need to email Randy, talk to my ATM, or put in some kind of formal request?

I've shot the idea off my coworkers and they don't seem to know to much about it. Just rumors like "I think after a year you can do a transfer request". If anyone has any actual experience transferring within Midwest I'd appreciate the advice/guidance.

SMPolkinghorn

Jan 18, 2010
United States
Hey bro. I worked with Midwest back in 2010. There was a "contract rat" there (due to age no FAA) that had tried multiple times to transfer closer to home. Midwest wasn't too keen on it. All of us who have worked contract before knows it's all about the company first. If you transfer that would mean they would have to train 2 bodies: you and the guy replacing you. Whereas if they hire a FNG he can go straight to your hometown facility and only have to train him. Make sense? Just what I know about it….good luck.

ROMEOMONEY

Rookie
Dec 12, 2013
Hey bro. I worked with Midwest back in 2010. There was a "contract rat" there (due to age no FAA) that had tried multiple times to transfer closer to home. Midwest wasn't too keen on it. All of us who have worked contract before knows it's all about the company first. If you transfer that would mean they would have to train 2 bodies: you and the guy replacing you. Whereas if they hire a FNG he can go straight to your hometown facility and only have to train him. Make sense? Just what I know about it….good luck.
I've heard the same

USSInchon

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2014
Honestly at my tower we have had several inter-company transfers both into and out of the facility, I actually almost transferred a few years ago. There is a form you can fill out of the facilities that you would like to go to, your ATM should be able to get it for you. Also keep in touch with the ATM at the facility that you want to get to. Randy is pretty good about making things happen if there is room.