Missing a Day at the Academy

Rasco27

Newcomer
May 2, 2017
Hello everyone
Quick question. I am waiting on my FOL HR has all the paperwork just waiting on class placement. I was wondering if anybody missed a day at the Academy. My wedding day will probably be during my training. I wanted to know if it would be a better idea to delay my class date until after my wedding or if anybody has had a similar situation that could give me some insight.

Thanks in advance

crazycam31

Rookie
Jan 6, 2009
The FAA doesn't care about your wedding so you probably can't miss a day. I wouldn't recommend delaying, since your seniority is essentially based on it and next thing you know there will be some sort of hiring freeze or something. I recommend not getting married...

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Hello everyone
Quick question. I am waiting on my FOL HR has all the paperwork just waiting on class placement. I was wondering if anybody missed a day at the Academy. My wedding day will probably be during my training. I wanted to know if it would be a better idea to delay my class date until after my wedding or if anybody has had a similar situation that could give me some insight.

Thanks in advance
Just ask for a date afterwards. Unless it is ridiculously far out (like you can complete the Academy first) it should be approved

jbell

Jan 19, 2017
I would ask for a later start date due to you getting married. They wont have a problem with that. But getting time off for it while AT the academy just isn't a good idea.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
I’ve also wondered this. My grandfather is currently in hospice. We’re all ready when he is but it’s looking like I’ll likely be at the academy when he passes. If the service was on a Saturday I would hope to be able to fly out on Friday night and return Sunday afternoon I would at least have some flight time to study. I’ve wondered if this has happened to anyone else. Oh course perhaps he’ll walk again and live another 10 years.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I’ve also wondered this. My grandfather is currently in hospice. We’re all ready when he is but it’s looking like I’ll likely be at the academy when he passes. If the service was on a Saturday I would hope to be able to fly out on Friday night and return Sunday afternoon I would at least have some flight time to study. I’ve wondered if this has happened to anyone else. Oh course perhaps he’ll walk again and live another 10 years.
Unless you've got class Friday night...

CaseyMBT

Rookie
Aug 30, 2016
Hello everyone

Thanks in advance
Im in the exact same boat. Getting married 6/23 and am only waiting on my FOL, seeing as its already May im just gonna request July if they can approve it.

nbc1179

Newcomer
Dec 28, 2017
In the same boat as well, getting married 6/16 and waiting on FOL. I’ve seen people post about getting it pushed back for their own wedding

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
iirc a death in the family is an excused absence

jbell

Jan 19, 2017
Theres a guy in my class that has flown home twice on weekends to see his family. Leaving on a Friday after school and coming back Sunday. Its kinda risky in regards to if a flight is delayed, but if you allow your self some extra cushion time if that were to happen, you would be fine.

Arthurfrancis2

Jan 11, 2017
Im in the exact same boat. Getting married 6/23 and am only waiting on my FOL, seeing as its already May im just gonna request July if they can approve it.
When did you complete your cil? I completed drug test on April 9th and now just waiting. Is the fol the next piece of paper work we get? Are we suppose to recieve a confirmation that our cil has been completed? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

CaseyMBT

Rookie
Aug 30, 2016
When did you complete your cil? I completed drug test on April 9th and now just waiting. Is the fol the next piece of paper work we get? Are we suppose to recieve a confirmation that our cil has been completed? Lol

Did DT on 4/10. Yes FOL is the next/last step, unless you were to fail a portion of the clearance but we all pray that doesn't happen haha. I've heard of some people having their POC tell them everything cleared and others don't hear anything until they receive their FOL. Guess it just depends on your POC and how willing they are to take the initiative to keep you informed.

Arthurfrancis2

Jan 11, 2017
Got my class day for July 5th 10 days ago and FOL day after btw
Did DT on 4/10. Yes FOL is the next/last step, unless you were to fail a portion of the clearance but we all pray that doesn't happen haha. I've heard of some people having their POC tell them everything cleared and others don't hear anything until they receive their FOL. Guess it just depends on your POC and how willing they are to take the initiative to keep you informed.

Bdlb26

Rookie
Aug 16, 2016
It's not ideal but you can miss days at the academy. They're pretty good at working with people especially for something like a wedding. One guy in my class missed a full day and was late two other days. He had a couple meetings with the head guy but didn't get kicked out or anything.