More Aviation English research for pilots and controllers

GarethWilliams

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2019
Hi all,

People sometimes ask me what aeronautical linguistics is... actually they don't. Nobody has ever asked me that. Which explains why I feel the need to bring the subject up at parties... and also explains why I don't get invited out a lot. But I really dont mind... it just gives me more time for R coding my corpus analysis #nerdscantstopwontstop.

Anyway... you are almost certainly not aware that the field of aeronautical linguistics research is currently experiencing something of a surge of interest. And it's not just from us pointy headed nerds! Since ICAO declared the language proficiency problem as "job done" in 2011, there has been a growing chorus of dischord from pilots and ATCs who experience poor communication competence on a daily basis. Some pilots and ATCs have even had the temerity to suggest that poor communication has a detrimental effect on the safety of flight operations. I know, I know... where do they get the nerve? This has in turn attracted the attention of researchers looking for hard data (I.e. direct feedback from pilots and ATCs) to jolt ICAO out of its sense of complacency.

I intend to use this PhD thesis to prove that it was a mistake to leave out basic standard phraseology from the language proficiency requirements for pilots and ATCs.

Please take 15 minutes to complete the following survey (could be less if you're a fast and effective decision maker - oh that's right, you are). Questions range across how often you experience poor radio communication in your job, what type of poor communication you hear and what effect it has on safety and efficiency.

At the end of the survey you will also be asked if you want to participate in a diary research project to track your experiences on the job even more closely.

I'm looking for:

Commercial pilots
ATCs who control international traffic
Retirees from the above roles who have accumulated at least 10 years of experience.

Please click on the following link:

Thank you in advance , and please do know that I appreciate how busy you all are. I greatly value each and every completed survey.