Moving Overseas

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
Hey guys,

Anybody have any experience moving overseas with the FAA? San Juan, St. Thomas, Hawaii, Guam, etc...? I'm moving to San Juan and am looking for the best way to get all my stuff down there.

I'm selling my car (would have cost $2000 to get a '99 Explorer down there...hell no not worth it lol) and my trailer and I've basically got a bedroom's worth of stuff, need to get a motorcycle, mattress, TV, clothes, etc... down to PR. It looks like container moving is the way to go here, I've seen these 7'x4'x7' containers they have that you load all your stuff onto and they'll deliver it to you on the other side. Apparently I can put my motorcycle in the container which would save me having to ship it separately, which I like. Anyone know of any good companies that do this? I've gotten a few quotes ranging anywhere from $2500 all the way up to $5500. Hopefully I can find one cheaper, or maybe someone on here has a better idea.

Thanks from your neighborhood SM instigator.

devoixmr

Oct 28, 2011
best of luck, have you heard anything about staffing levels there? got selected this ots bid and looking to end up there. sorry to invade your thread.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Why not just sell the bed (if it's not too old/gross) and other non essential items and just buy that while down there? Obviously you want to ship your motorcycle either way, but it may cut down on the size and cost of a shipping container.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
best of luck, have you heard anything about staffing levels there?.
2013 CWP says 17 CPC with 5 in the pipe, Low 14 High 17. Not sure about the CERAP.

Why not just sell the bed (if it's not too old/gross) and other non essential items and just buy that while down there? Obviously you want to ship your motorcycle either way, but it may cut down on the size and cost of a shipping container.
Idk alot of people have been telling me to sell everything but I don't want to end up in a foreign country not speaking any Spanish having to buy all that shit again. ..especially if I won't have a car down there I'll have to pay delivery fees on everything, too. It's going to cost about $800 to ship just the motorcycle so the way I figure it, it's only costing me an extra $1500 to get the rest of my stuff down there. I'm hoping to find something cheaper tho

Last edited:

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Hey guys,

Anybody have any experience moving overseas with the FAA? San Juan, St. Thomas, Hawaii, Guam, etc...? I'm moving to San Juan and am looking for the best way to get all my stuff down there.

I'm selling my car (would have cost $2000 to get a '99 Explorer down there...hell no not worth it lol) and my trailer and I've basically got a bedroom's worth of stuff, need to get a motorcycle, mattress, TV, clothes, etc... down to PR. It looks like container moving is the way to go here, I've seen these 7'x4'x7' containers they have that you load all your stuff onto and they'll deliver it to you on the other side. Apparently I can put my motorcycle in the container which would save me having to ship it separately, which I like. Anyone know of any good companies that do this? I've gotten a few quotes ranging anywhere from $2500 all the way up to $5500. Hopefully I can find one cheaper, or maybe someone on here has a better idea.

Thanks from your neighborhood SM instigator.
Blue Ocean Transport! They ship from FLL and JAX. I'm using them.
John Estelles
Blue Ocean Transport
305-428-2735 (Tel)
305-428-2784 (Fax)

After spring break you better be ready for new mattress!

Last edited:

Josh

Jan 3, 2011
2013 CWP says 17 CPC with 5 in the pipe, Low 14 High 17. Not sure about the CERAP.
So I read through the CWP and found this list you're referring to but I'm not sure if I understand how you interpret these numbers. So basically they currently employ 17 and 5 are in training, and 17 is already a high number for that facility? So you can infer that they won't be hiring more anytime soon?

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
So I read through the CWP and found this list you're referring to but I'm not sure if I understand how you interpret these numbers. So basically they currently employ 17 and 5 are in training, and 17 is already a high number for that facility? So you can infer that they won't be hiring more anytime soon?
That's what it seems like from the CWP, but it's the FAA so who knows?

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
Ask rios on here he's the natca rep for pr
Will do man, thanks for the heads-up

Blue Ocean Transport! They ship from FLL and JAX. I'm using them.
Hey so how are you getting your stuff down there? Do you have to box up everything and they crate it up for you at the port? I looked into that but I've got alot of random shit that wouldn't fit/would be awkward as hell to get into a box.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
I moved to St. Thomas from Fort Lauderdale, and from STT to Denver so been there done that. Just did it a month ago. We thought about using a shipping container, but it ended up costing several thousand dollars (granted that was Denver so it might be cheaper depending on where you come from). The two major companies moving goods to and from the islands are Tropical Shipping and Sea Star. If you are able to get a PO Box, or you have a friend or family down there, I would start mailing boxes down there. It ended up being much MUCH cheaper. USPS, FedEx, and UPS are all in the US Territories. You can even talk to your Facility manager and ask if you can have stuff sent there. We used the STT tower address for all of our personal mail when I was there. Excellent though with your car. The islands will absolutely destroy any vehicle you own so I would recommend just buying an island beater for a few thousand bucks when you get there. You'll have no attachement to it and if you keep it running decently, you can make most of your money back when you leave. In San Juan, a motorcycle is a good size. It was a death wish in St. Thomas.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or ask on the forums :)

Reactions: phillyman2633

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
Yeah I think I'm migrating away from the container move idea...I'm thinking maybe boxing my stuff up and doing it on a pallet may be best. I'm going to start really looking into it in the next few days. Definitely going to bring my bike down there, it's my daily driver here and I keep it in good running shape. 1982 Kawi KZ750N shaft-driven....that baby's bulletproof. Selling my car and trailer for sure, and that should pay for my move down there. If I sell most of my crap here, TVs, what little furniture I have, etc...and coupled with the payout I'm going to get for my accrued leave time at work, that should pay for the security deposit/1st month for a place down there. I'm thinking I should be decent.

rodanthe2

Rookie
Apr 15, 2014
I've been in puerto rico for 5 years now. If I were you I would sell your bike......the people down here will run you clear off the road. You've been warned.