Moving Question

RollDice

Rookie
Sep 5, 2011
I got picked up the November '11 panel and have a question about moving to your facility. If it just so happens I only get a week or so notice until I need to report to OKC, when do you set up your place of residence at your facility location? Before OKC or after?

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
I got picked up the November '11 panel and have a question about moving to your facility. If it just so happens I only get a week or so notice until I need to report to OKC, when do you set up your place of residence at your facility location? Before OKC or after?
I had only 2 weeks notice to be in OKC and I couldn't find out my actual facility until I got my FOL. So I couldn't visit or do anything about finding a place. I actually didn't find out my facility until I started the drive to OKC. So because of that I'm looking on Craigslist and just doing reasearch on where to live while I'm here at the academy. Take the class date when it's offered and worry about all that other stuff as it comes!

Good Luck!

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I'd find a place after PV. Not much point of getting a place if you might not need it. I didn't even seriously look until after PV

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
After, unless you just want to pay a security deposit. But I wouldn't sign a lease, for sure. Wait until after you PV. You get 64 hours of paid moving time to use. No rush.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
You don't have much time to report to your facility after you PV (a few days); it's kind of hard to drive around and look for places to live, i.e. very time consuming. I always hate house-hunting because the places never look in person like they do online. While you're at the academy I would definitely make a short list of places you want to check out once you get to your new locale; that being said, like the other guys said, don't sign a lease until you actually pass your PVs.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Recent Sales, Apartment Rentals
Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com Apartment Finder

Coming from a guy who just spent the last 2 weeks mad apartment shopping... I'm 100% sure in TWO DAYS you could find and lease a decent apt for say... 6 months.

Remember, you are just trying to find a safe place to rest your head... you can worry about sweet neighborhoods and swank pads after you get settled at your new facility.

----
Edit: This is my 1600th post! <3
(minus the multiple ones various admins have deleted :( )

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Recent Sales, Apartment Rentals
Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com Apartment Finder

Coming from a guy who just spent the last 2 weeks mad apartment shopping... I'm 100% sure in TWO DAYS you could find and lease a decent apt for say... 6 months.

Remember, you are just trying to find a safe place to rest your head... you can worry about sweet neighborhoods and swank pads after you get settled at your new facility.

----
Edit: This is my 1600th post! <3
(minus the multiple ones various admins have deleted :( )
Even extended stay hotels work too. I worked out a deal with one when I first finished for 2 months while I decided what I wanted to do.