Moving to facility by way of OKC

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
For those of you who live/lived in a different city that the facility you were chosen for, how will/did you go about moving? I need my gainful employment in Phoenix until I go to OKC and then will be moving to Seattle after. It is definitely a logistical headache and I would appreciate hearing how others pull it off.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
My suggestion? Get rid of pretty much everything. Stick the important stuff in a storage unit when you get to OKC. Go paper-less on your bills.
I've not done the OKC shuffle, but have moved more than a few times.

damasta

Rookie
Feb 23, 2011
I'm in the same position. I'm currently living in FL but I am from PA. Mostly all of my stuff is in PA at my parents house. I will be moving to CO.

My class date is 11/14. My last day at my job in FL is next week. I'm driving back to PA and have a flight to CO the day I get home. I'm going to CO for a few days to decide on an apartment complex I want to live in. Once I get back from CO I leave for OKC w/in two weeks.

My plan is to pack up everything that I will need for CO at my parents house in PA. Once I finish the academy I'm going to have my parents put everything I packed into one of those storage containters that the company just picks up and transports. I haven't decided the company yet.

I will be driving to OKC and then to CO once I'm finished. Luckily my girlfriends parents live under an hour from my facility in CO so I have a place to stay until I'm all settled in.

I don't know if this is similar to your situation at all but I've gone over multiple ideas and plans. This one seemed to work/play out the best for me in my head. Hope it helps a little.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Take what you need to survive OKC and the first week or so at your facility. Whatever fits in your car or maybe a small Uhaul trailer. Then just take a weekend once you get to your facility to move all your crap.

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
You do realize you get 64 hours of "Change of Station" leave, right? You are given 8 standard working days once you leave OKC to get stuff settled, and it's great for packing days, moving days, being there to get your utilities turned on at your new place, etc. And you're allotted travel time to your new facility. Call your ATM or FLM and let them know you need to take that time, and it'll be given to you.

ccollins

Apr 17, 2009
I was in the same position. With my bills, I could not afford to quit my jobs. I was living in a small apartment in ND. I got rid of everything except for my clothes, TV, and cooking essentials. The items I didn't sell or give away went into the trash. It would have cost a lot to move to OK and then move from OK to NM. Everything I owned then fit into my car.

When I got to OK I began apartment searching. I knew people from NM and they told me which neighborhoods to look in. I didn't commit to anything.

I stayed in a hotel for three days while I checked out the apartment I was looking at and bought my furniture. The money I saved in perdium went to my new furniture.

I am so happy I did things the way I did. I feel like buying everything new was a fresh start for me.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
I got rid of everything that could not fit in my car or leave with family and friends.

I drove from Seattle to OKC and arrived a few days early. I did some research and found a decent area and apartment to rent....kind of narrowed it down to a building that was okay with a 4 month lease. Showed up and rented the place I decided on before hand. Rented a 1 bedroom for 520$ a month in a small gated apartment building.

I went to CORT and rented a couch, bed, washer and dryer for a 100$ a month.

Worked great. I had CORT pick up the furniture the Sunday before I left. Moved into a hotel for the last three nights before my PV. Passed my PV and got on I-40 never to return. Only used 1 day of change of station leave on my way to Oakland so that I would have 56 hours for later.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
My suggestion? Get rid of pretty much everything. Stick the important stuff in a storage unit when you get to OKC. Go paper-less on your bills.
That's what we did. Moved into a hotel when we got to the facility, and my wife looked at places in person while I got started. Once we found what we liked, I contacted the movers we had prepared in Seattle, gave them the green light, and a friend with a key to our storage locker met up with them for the day.

It wasn't easy, especially fitting a baby, two dogs and my mother in law all in that hotel room for a week, but it was worth it to not sign a lease on a place we hadn't seen yet. If we had signed the place that looked good online, we would've been living in Section 8 (gov't subsidized) housing with a bunch of gangbangers.

Jettj45

Sep 30, 2009
You do realize you get 64 hours of "Change of Station" leave, right? You are given 8 standard working days once you leave OKC to get stuff settled, and it's great for packing days, moving days, being there to get your utilities turned on at your new place, etc. And you're allotted travel time to your new facility. Call your ATM or FLM and let them know you need to take that time, and it'll be given to you.
Seems like plenty of time why is everyone else selling all there stuff and living in hotels if you can do this...?

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Article 29, Section 4

Up to sixty-four (64) hours of excused absence, as requested by the employee, shall be granted for arrangements incident to a change in the employee's official post of duty, including initial assignments after completion of the FAA Academy, regardless of whether or not the residence is being relocated. Excused absence may e granted up to two (2) years from the effective date of the permanent change of official post of duty. Employees may be required to provide justification for the use of this time. This Section is not inclusive of any time provided for "house hunting".

This works best for getting moved, setting up utilities, etc.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
If you have a lot of stuff and want to keep it I would suggest using ABF for moving. They will not load or unload the truck for you but we moved from CA to VT for $1500. You can not rent a Uhaul and drive yourself for that price. They charge by the amount of stuff you take up in the truck and then they fill the rest of the truck with commercial stuff so you don't have to pay for the whole truck. You can find local movers to load and unload the truck for pretty cheap. They will tell you it is not an "air ride" so make sure you secure everything well because it could bounce around if you do not.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
Looks like we are selling 95% of everything we own. I'm online listing stuff now. We are sending what we can fit in 300 cu ft in a moving pod up to ZSE. Then my husband, my son, our dog, myself, and anything we absolutely need for 4 months is going in our car. That's right, we are moving across the country (twice) in a compact Kia! Oh, and it looks like I have less than a month to pull this off. Every time I really start to think about everything I have to do I start laughing.