n90/jfk/lga whats the deal

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
i think i had asked this before who knows what about these facilities? i hear they are not taking any ots, they only take cpc's bc the washout rates are retarded...

alvareze82

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009
Miami, FL
i heard JFK and LGA definitely not taking OTS's. not sure about EWR. if they give me Jersey im hoping for EWR, used to work there on the ramp.

if EWR is also not taking OTS's then probably Teterboro, Caldwell, or Linden would be my picks :) ill pretty much take any of them tho lol

i also was told ZNY is reshaping its airspace so i was alittle hesitant to choose enroute. i believe they are taking OTS's for enroute

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
im hearing this from more than a few people that brings down my hopes of getting into somewhere in the nyc area bc if jfk/lga arent taking any ots maybe ewr isnt either.. that leaves frg, swf and the rest upstate....which arent close to me at all....this sucks, guess im going to anchorage alaska...lol...

On_welfare

Rookie
Oct 27, 2008
Houston, Tx
Ya'll are already done for the day? So you've had about 6 hours of actual classroom training since Friday?

Do you all have to stay longer now?
Nope we didn't have to stay longer due to the missed day. Usually it's 7:00am to 3:30pm or 3:30pm to 12am I think. And we have to leave on time due to bus schedules. They are just gonna go through the material a bit faster in order to make up for the missed day.

GQ007

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
NYC
None of the NYC majors are hurting for controllers, it's all luck of the draw. I know of one OTS in my class heading to LGA, two CTIs ahead of me heading to JFK and another person behind me (not sure if OTS or CTI) heading to LGA....I have no idea what is happening at EWR but I know they have at least 4 developmentals there, ....you can always take what you are offered, check out, and bid for a transfer later on (especially if you get a lower level facility within the hub...that's what my ATM is expecting me to do)

nb2fd

Newcomer
Nov 27, 2008
Long Island
im going to n90 and honestly like previously stated its just luck of the draw. most likely you wont get a tower on long island u would probrably get n90 or zny at this point

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
id be happy with anything in the nyc area but like stated above, it seems like where i want to go isnt needing anyone...oh well i guess i wait and see

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
None of the NYC majors are hurting for controllers, it's all luck of the draw. I know of one OTS in my class heading to LGA, two CTIs ahead of me heading to JFK and another person behind me (not sure if OTS or CTI) heading to LGA....I have no idea what is happening at EWR but I know they have at least 4 developmentals there, ....you can always take what you are offered, check out, and bid for a transfer later on (especially if you get a lower level facility within the hub...that's what my ATM is expecting me to do)
where the hell can we find out the latest staffing numbers? that would at least give me an idea of what could be possible....

A

Ammolite

where the hell can we find out the latest staffing numbers? that would at least give me an idea of what could be possible....
Jesus, you're dense.

There are seriously close to NO vacancies at these places, and you'd sooner get A80 as an OTS than JFK.

How do I know? I've toured almost all of them, and the one I didn't was because they flat-out told me that they don't hire OTS (JFK). I've also spoken to a legit FAA manager for the Eastern region, and he gave me the scoop.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get ISP (which is fully-staffed, to my knowledge), or Farmingdale (which is nearly fully-staffed, I think), or N90 on a long shot (but those guys are the rudest controllers I've ever met -- ZNY controllers agree). They have a definite god complex.

NY is a shit deal if you're looking for a terminal position.

CL4TKoff

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Friend of mine took a tour of JFK few weeks ago, the manager over there told him they have a shit load of trainees that they are trying to get checked out so they aren't taking any... He also said something about if you pick ny your pretty much gonna get N90 or ZNY, which is what he's looking for anyway. ISP is a joke for Class Charlie, and they are adequately staffed, although they getting a nice new taller tower.
Farmingdale would be as boring as can be.
I'm gonna tell you what they told us in school.
Aviation is a much bigger thing than Long Island, and for most of us, we would have to extend our minds beyond the tiny little Island next to the United States.
My professor when he began, about 30 yrs ago, his mother was in with the FAA in NY and he put NY hoping to get around the city, and ended up in Syracuse for 25 yrs.
Now he's retired living in Sag Harbor, but the stories he told us about the snow up there.

Oh and about about N90 controllers being rude, maybe they're upset that John Cusack made their job look easy.
No seriously they have a lot of traffic and very little room in the air to work with, I give them tons of respect.

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
I have heard they have not checked out anyone at N90 in about 3 years. Lots of trainees there, they are big on the union, and big on fucking management. If that is at the expense of trainees then so be it.

A few years ago the FAA offered a bonus to transfer to N90, none of those guys checked out. Good luck if you are going there.

WorkintheLine

Rookie
Jan 23, 2009
id love to work at n90, if its very hard to get in ots will have to just try and get a transfer eventually
def want to work there eventually

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny
Jesus, you're dense.

There are seriously close to NO vacancies at these places, and you'd sooner get A80 as an OTS than JFK.

How do I know? I've toured almost all of them, and the one I didn't was because they flat-out told me that they don't hire OTS (JFK). I've also spoken to a legit FAA manager for the Eastern region, and he gave me the scoop.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get ISP (which is fully-staffed, to my knowledge), or Farmingdale (which is nearly fully-staffed, I think), or N90 on a long shot (but those guys are the rudest controllers I've ever met -- ZNY controllers agree). They have a definite god complex.

NY is a shit deal if you're looking for a terminal position.
wow ammo thanks for making me feel even better as always you're a light in the dark...lol... lucky for you i have a sense of humor...well at this point with my impending divorce i dont care where i am being offered....