N90 OTS Experiences?

f5awp

Rookie
Mar 15, 2018
Hi all,

With the N90 OTS bid opening next week, can anyone who has gone through the last few dedicated N90 bids talk about how their experiences have been?

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
It washes a lot of people out, but most of them get a second chance elsewhere in the Agency. And you might just certify there. It has been done.

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
Go through the New York TRACON - N90 thread here on SM and the one on pointsixtyfive.com. It’ll give you a SMALL idea of what it’s like there and I think in one of the threads a controller from N90 talks about the chances of OTS hires getting certified there. It was fairly recent too, maybe posted within a year.

f5awp

Rookie
Mar 15, 2018
Go through the New York TRACON - N90 thread here on SM and the one on pointsixtyfive.com. It’ll give you a SMALL idea of what it’s like there and I think in one of the threads a controller from N90 talks about the chances of OTS hires getting certified there. It was fairly recent too, maybe posted within a year.
I've looked through both threads in the past, but just looked through pointsixtyfive again. There's some info that I missed, but the general outlook for OTS to N90 is bleak, which is understandable lol. Then there's other discussion about people going through TETRA in academy, but it seems like all the talk is for prior experience people. Not much actual talk on OTS experiences.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I've looked through both threads in the past, but just looked through pointsixtyfive again. There's some info that I missed, but the general outlook for OTS to N90 is bleak, which is understandable lol. Then there's other discussion about people going through TETRA in academy, but it seems like all the talk is for prior experience people. Not much actual talk on OTS experiences.
Another TETRA class ends June 26th and I think that'll be the first one that's filled with OTS new-hires. Probably a real pass/fail class, but I don't know that for sure.

f5awp

Rookie
Mar 15, 2018
Another TETRA class ends June 26th and I think that'll be the first one that's filled with OTS new-hires. Probably a real pass/fail class, but I don't know that for sure.
Thanks for the info, Stinger. Do you mind explaining what people mean by pass/fail vs pass/pass? I've been seeing that thrown around but haven't quite caught on to what it means.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Thanks for the info, Stinger. Do you mind explaining what people mean by pass/fail vs pass/pass? I've been seeing that thrown around but haven't quite caught on to what it means.
Tower, Enroute, and TETRA all have graded evals. For new-hires, they're in a pass/fail job jeopardy status meaning that they can either pass the course or fail the course and be terminated.
For Tetra, they've had two test classes go through, and because it was for validation purposes they were pass/pass meaning that even if they fail the evals and don't have enough points to pass the course, they'll still leave with a job and go to a facility.
Tower gets a class that's in pass/pass status every couple months because the students initially went through the academy for enroute and passed, went to a facility and failed out. They were recycled back through into a tower, and needed to go to the academy for tower training. They're already assigned towers to go to, and no matter what their scores are they can't fail out.

TETRA is a little different because in the job announcement for N90, it says that inability to pass the academy may result in job termination. We'll see what happens, because since they've passed RTF (an initial qualification) they should be eligible to go to a lower level tracon. RTF isn't graded at this time, so I'm not sure how the FAA is going to look at that.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
So I heard some unconfirmed word today that the direct N90 local OTS bid is certify at N90 or be let go, NEST will not be an option. But it this is unconfirmed.

f5awp

Rookie
Mar 15, 2018
So I heard some unconfirmed word today that the direct N90 local OTS bid is certify at N90 or be let go, NEST will not be an option. But it this is unconfirmed.
That's unfortunate. I get that it's part of the agreement, but it seems like a waste of time and money to do.

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
That's unfortunate. I get that it's part of the agreement, but it seems like a waste of time and money to do.
If it’s true, it’s probably to deter the folks that apply to just wash and transfer elsewhere.