Nashville Tower - BNA

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I'd love to be at BNA since that is where my house is. Not going to complain though that I'm going elsewhere in the state (KMEM).
Welcome to my world. That's why I didn't put TN as my main geographic preference for terminal; I knew I'd end up in Memphis. I grew up (27 years) in Nashville and am now in St. Louis. I still love it, though!

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Any recommendations as far as where to live in Nashville? I would like to be in a nice area with low crime and good schools are a must. not too far from the airport either, maybe 20 minutes tops.

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Any recommendations as far as where to live in Nashville? I would like to be in a nice area with low crime and good schools are a must. not too far from the airport either, maybe 20 minutes tops.
I grew up in Nashville and lived there 27 years. Mt. Juliet is your best bet, and it'll put you about 20 minutes from the airport in I-40 morning traffic. Luckily it doesn't back up too bad before the Donelson Pike/airport exit, but any time around 7-8AM will be a slow roll.

If you want to move south, Brentwood is the best bet, albeit a little more expensive. I-65N to I-440E to I-40E will get you there by interstate, but it's closer to a 30 minute drive depending on how far into Brentwood you move. 3BR/2BA, 2000 sq ft ranch houses are around 240-250k.

Mt. Juliet will get you more property/house for the money, but it's growing at a fast clip, so prices are rising depending on the part of MJ in which you live. 3BR/2BA, 2000 sq ft ranch houses will run about 200k.

The Mt. Juliet side of Old Hickory is good as well as long as you stay in Wilson County. MJ puts you in the Wilson County school district, whereas Brentwood puts you in the Williamson County school district (one of, if not, THE best school systems in the state).

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
I was thinking either Brentwood or MJ, guess I need to make a trip out there and see how I feel about those 2 areas.

jwnewsome

I see you creepin'
Jan 15, 2010
KTYS
I was thinking either Brentwood or MJ, guess I need to make a trip out there and see how I feel about those 2 areas.
Mike,

I live southeast of Nashville in La Vergne. It's nice, quiet, and only about 20 min away. Brentwood is crazy expensive and traffic is a bi&$# in the AM and PM. Mount Juliet wouldn't be bad either.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Franklin is also a great neighborhood, lots of quiet neighborhoods with good schools (if you have kids). Mt Juliet is a great city close to the airport. Brentwood is where all the country singers/artists/writers live. Crazy expensive

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Franklin is also a great neighborhood, lots of quiet neighborhoods with good schools (if you have kids). Mt Juliet is a great city close to the airport. Brentwood is where all the country singers/artists/writers live. Crazy expensive
Too poor for Franklin, Brentwood is too far for me and I would like to stay away from 65. Mt Juliet, Providence specifically, seemed great. Really quick trip to the airport from there, and everything I would want or need in that area. But I may have to sacrifice and go to Brentwood, Taylor Swift does live there..... And I heard she's single.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Unless it's changed since I lived there, from what I remember Providence was older. Were you selected for BNA? Man, I'd kill for that facility.
It looked like a newly built area, new homes were going up everywhere. Are we talking about the same area? Just south of 40? And yes for BNA.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
The area I'm thinking of was Antioch, south of Nashville airport. Most neighborhoods, as long as it's not downtown west Nashville, are incredible neighborhoods and even better people. Good luck at BNA, I hope to grab a position in the south after the military.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Traffic out of Brentwood area to the airport is horrible though it is a nice area. As someone mentioned Mt Juliet, Lebanon, Murfreesboro are nice areas, 20 minute drives to the airport, good housing, and all nice areas. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the schools, but if you want the best then you will have to pay for private schools.

smalley1855

Nov 8, 2009
Savannah, GA
I lived in Murfreesboro it was great stay away from Antioch or lavergne The boro is only 20 mins from airport Brentwood is nice but expensive

Jlobdell

Newcomer
Mar 10, 2009
I have a random question for any BNA employees. I am on an IDS4 work group in Detroit. We.found an article saying BNA was supposed to get the new NIDS system. Do you guys actually have it? Is there someone will to answer questions about the transition between the systems? Any info would help! Thanks. Please email me at Jennifer.Lobdell@faa.gov

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Hey all,

GRB cpc here. We were a 7 downgraded to a 6 now. I JUST put in an ERR for BNA. It would be the perfect place for my family and I. Just curious as of now what the numbers look like. My sup. here called the manager and said they'll be picking up more in 2014 but I'd like to hear from those that work there what my odds truly are. We're making a trip down in July so I'll put a face to a name at that time and hope it helps. Any info. would be great... appreciate it. TP Also, what's the duck hunting like in the area??

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Hey all,

GRB cpc here. We were a 7 downgraded to a 6 now. I JUST put in an ERR for BNA. It would be the perfect place for my family and I. Just curious as of now what the numbers look like. My sup. here called the manager and said they'll be picking up more in 2014 but I'd like to hear from those that work there what my odds truly are. We're making a trip down in July so I'll put a face to a name at that time and hope it helps. Any info. would be great... appreciate it. TP Also, what's the duck hunting like in the area??
Messaged you

DeltaCharlie

Rookie
May 30, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm currently a DOD controller with a TOL for a center and was thinking about re-directing to BNA. I am thinking about taking a tour of the facility, but first wanted to get some information about traffic, the facility itself, and the local area. I have a family and am looking to go somewhere I can stay for a while. Any information is greatly appreciated.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
I work at BNA now. go to google.com and type in FAA ATADS. You can get traffic counts from that website. If you want, PM me any questions you have about the facility or the area.