NATCA or not?

Are you a member of NATCA? (Hired after White Book started)

• Yes

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 43.5%

• Total voters

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
This poll is for those who have started in the FAA after the Nontract went into effect.

Are you a NATCA member yes or no?

No explanation is required... but welcome. Is the low pay keeping you from doing it or is there no good excuse?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
Yes to being a member.

Here's a little known tidbit. NATCA charges you dues based on the old pay scale. If your on the new pay scale your paying more dues than you should be. It because NATCA doesn't acknowledge the IWR's as being a contract. I get that. Alright, but why charge the people making 31K/year at a rate as if they made 56K/year (the amount you would've made on the old scale)?? Those numbers come from ZOA. So, not only are the newer guys gettin hosed on the B pay scale, but their getting charged more dues because they charge you based on the A pay scale. Something very very very wrong about that.

I brought it up to my NATCA rep and told him I wanted to leave the union because that just ticked me off too much to stay in. He said I was able to file a voucher to the union to get the overpayments back paid to me. I did that and got the money back. Enough b!tching from me right?? NO! They will not change the rate I am charged at. I have to file a voucher every month to recoup the extra $10 their overcharging me. Again, i'm pissed off that I have to take time out to do this every month.

Long story short I was a NATCA member up until the day I finally resigned the FAA.

Other than that I was glad to be a union member and do my part for the cause. I was not happy about it once I realized they were stickin it to me. Good luck to all in your decision.

JetJammer

Newcomer
Jun 14, 2008
During your first year in the agency you should NOT join NATCA. During the first year you are a probationary employee who can be fired for anything and there really isn't anything the union can do to help you. By the way, I am an FPL who quit the union a couple years ago and the only thing different I noticed after getting out is I have an extra $1500 left over at the end of the year.

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
if NATCA is such a great union, then why don't they fix the union fees to accommodate new employees and the new pay scale and the year probation? I always visit the NATCA website everyday and the only thing that changes on the website is the non contract ticker, I believe its up to like 729 days now. Is there another union we can join or is NATCA it. Why can't we choose another union to represent controllers? I am just curious, I am not trying to start shit or change anything.

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
Hey I am glad someone stood up for the right for us to use our GI Bill the same gi bill I earned bye serving our great nation, but why where we not allowed to use it in the training in the first place? I mean using the gi bill for on the job training was allowed for certain careers. Its kinda strange we could not use it before with the faa...either way Thanks Mr. Conde....I think the faa realized that people could not afford to even eat out in OKC and most cities without the per diem, but if natca lobbied for that than I know we all do appreciate that. I really think from an outsider looking in there is more to NATCA and the FAA than what I think. I am pretty ignorant to the whole union thing but one thing is for sure that clock keeeps on ticking. if natca can work out some deal for a newbie getting low pay than sign me up.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
They haven't done anything for me.....but I will always be a member. If I pay I have the right to gripe!
that is actually a very true statement. your union rep will have to listen to your gripes, warranted or not, because you pay for his/her services. however, if your not a member the union rep may just blow you off.

what the union rep can actually do for you and your gripes is a whole other issue.

natcababe

Rookie
Sep 23, 2008
JetJammer
Actually you should join the union when you first get there
1. You won't have to pay an initiation fee
2. If you have ANY problems in training NATCA will have your back (we just got a struggling cti's hours extended)
3. If you ever have and a/c accident you will have NATCA lawyers to back you up the FAA doesn't care about you and will hang you out to dry in a heartbeat.
4. If you ever have any problems your NATCA brothers and sisters will be there for you

natcababe

Rookie
Sep 23, 2008
JetJammer, been there done that....but ONLY natca will be in your corner while you are a probationary employee. Seriously you shouldn't be a NATCA activist, just a quiet little member until this time period is over. But this year we had a probationary employee natca member struggling. natca got his hours extended. In a conversation with our manager, I mentioned I felt sorry for him because he owed so much in student loans, my manager actually said "that isn't our problem now is it". Without natca's help this kid would already be on the streets owing a shit load of money for a degree that he will never be able to use.

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
It isn't their problem. Making sure planes do not collide and rain burning debris over the top of Chicago is their porblem. Rules are in place for the safety of our community. Very cool that you got his hours extended though. I've got $5 says he still doesn't make it.

On a seperate note: I think not joining NATCA is a big mistake. You can bet your student loans that the agency will fire you and whoever is responsible will sleep fine that night. I don't know how well NATCA will back you because I haven't had the problem yet but you can rest assured that it is not the FAA. Plus, why would you want to start at a facility and begin your career by alienating everyone. Anyways, NATCA is fun. You have BBQ's and conventions, you get discounts on stuff and you might even get a little bit more money too!