Navy controller

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Just to clear shit up for what counts from an aircraft carrier...

Final DOES count, its the only qual that the FAA recognizes from a carrier. As long as you don't suck, you should be able to pick that one up.

DO NOT go to shore duty first if you have that option. Go to a carrier, a CVN (not an LHA LHD LTG), get Final at least, THEN go to shore duty and pick up an Approach Ticket or a CTO.

If they're extending people on shore, why go to a carrier first? What if you go to a carrier and it turns out you're extended on the carrier? I guess I just want to hear your reasoning?

MTL--I have to agree with you. This is a headache that AF guys never have to worry about.

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
Marines don't have to deal with any of this crap either. We have the same types of facilities as the Air Force just not as many and definately don't get all the comforts they do.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Wow, I'm starting to get nervous. I ship out to boot camp in 13 days!!

SSgt Young, I know that being a Marine is not for me. It must be nice not having to deal with the sea/shore duty issue though.

Any advice from you Navy vets on getting through Navy basic training in one piece? I'm fine with the push-ups and sit-ups and I'm ok on the run, but that's my weakest part. I'm hoping to get into a 900 division because I have a degree in music and I heard those divisions get to perform for PIR.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the sea/shore stuff when I get to A school. I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose shore duty first, though (if it's available that is).

Matty13

Jun 16, 2008
It's a head game. Get yelled at, just don't quit. Attention to detail (you'll hear that a lot).

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
if your worried about the run, push-ups, or sit-ups then join the air force. then you can learn real ATC and get credit for it in the eyes of the FAA. if your gung-ho and don't care about getting to the FAA then by all means join the "squids" or the "jar heads".

aim high if u do go air force. if not then aim low and you'll be fine.

tighedye05

Jun 1, 2009
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I went shore to out of 'A' school, made FWS (fully qualed in radar and tower) and will be here for my entire enlistment! Not a bad gig! Not many people on here who can say they got to do 5 years in an amazing city and left the navy with a CTO and Radar rating. Oh, and I was at North Island in San Diego....meant to mention that bit.

tighedye05

Jun 1, 2009
Oopps and don't think you can meet any Air Force folks who got Tower and Radar rated during there term...Just sayin! ;-)

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
Oopps and don't think you can meet any Air Force folks who got Tower and Radar rated during there term...Just sayin! ;-)
obviously u meant oops and their...but we'll let that slide since your Navy.

your right though that most AF guys can't say that their dual-rated. but if u ask the FAA then they will tell you that most Navy "guys" aren't rated at all...or dual-rated for that matter since they don't recognize carrier or CATTC ratings.

way to go squid!

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
Wow, I'm starting to get nervous. I ship out to boot camp in 13 days!!

SSgt Young, I know that being a Marine is not for me. It must be nice not having to deal with the sea/shore duty issue though.

Any advice from you Navy vets on getting through Navy basic training in one piece? I'm fine with the push-ups and sit-ups and I'm ok on the run, but that's my weakest part. I'm hoping to get into a 900 division because I have a degree in music and I heard those divisions get to perform for PIR.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the sea/shore stuff when I get to A school. I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose shore duty first, though (if it's available that is).

While I can't really help you with the boot camp portion i'll say this. Just know they yell at you out of love and want you to succeed. Enjoy what you can while you are there and have fun with the Universal Studios ride that simulates battlestations. When you get to P'cola study alot. If you have any questions or need help while you are there hit me up. I was a block 3 instructor but i still know everyone there and can point you to the right person to help you out.

Good luck

Matty13

Jun 16, 2008
obviously u meant oops and their...but we'll let that slide since your Navy.

your right though that most AF guys can't say that their dual-rated. but if u ask the FAA then they will tell you that most Navy "guys" aren't rated at all...or dual-rated for that matter since they don't recognize carrier or CATTC ratings.

way to go squid!
We all know the FAA does stupid stuff, and their treatment of CATCC is a good example.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
The other poster said he made FWS. What does that stand for?

I wish I could get North Island as a first duty station but I'm definitely not counting on it. I'm sure everyone wants San Diego for their duty station but I think that poster just got really, really lucky. Also, maybe the deployment had something to do with why he was extended?

johngault

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2010
up north
Just wanted to add my two cents. A little tip for navy boot camp, a couple weeks into it your going to choose barracks petty officers. my advice is volunteer or the LPO (thats laundry petty officer). During service week while everyone is serving in the galley you get to work in the laundry. Its a much better place and you get time away from the company. As a bonus if you keep the job all the way through boot camp and can stay decent on your tests it is one of the positions that your company commander usually promotes. E1 to E2 or E2 to E3.

johngault

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2010
up north
Now about ATC, I cross rated from engineering to ATC and did both ship and shore time. First off since your female and going into ATC there are not very many ships you can go on only carriers and gator freighters and not all of them take females. Second there are a handful of stateside NAS so any of them can get you your CTO. If you are not planning to make it a career I highly recommend concentrating on getting your CTO forget radar get your CTO first. I say this because after you get out the navy and you want to go FAA you will most likely be waiting. So in the meantime you can apply for contract towers that dont care about radar quals all they want and require is a CTO. Again this is just some advice from someone who has already done this path. Good Luck.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Now about ATC, I cross rated from engineering to ATC and did both ship and shore time. First off since your female and going into ATC there are not very many ships you can go on only carriers and gator freighters and not all of them take females. Second there are a handful of stateside NAS so any of them can get you your CTO. If you are not planning to make it a career I highly recommend concentrating on getting your CTO forget radar get your CTO first. I say this because after you get out the navy and you want to go FAA you will most likely be waiting. So in the meantime you can apply for contract towers that dont care about radar quals all they want and require is a CTO. Again this is just some advice from someone who has already done this path. Good Luck.

Thanks John!

I was actually told not to volunteer for any leadership positions in boot camp because I'm already going in as an E-3. I didn't want to take the opportunity to advance from someone who is an E-1 or E-2. I am hoping to get into a 900 division since I heard they don't get yelled at as much (at least that's what I heard) because they're more focused on performing for PIR.

I didn't realize that as a female AC I was limited in where I could go. Actually that works out better because I wanted to work at a NAS anyway. Thanks again for the advice John. Where were you stationed ashore if you don't mind me asking?

Matty13

Jun 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure most ships (with AC billets) take women now. I was in a 900 company. It ruled, performing for the last three weeks. We were a staff company: honor guard, pulling out the fainters (don't lock your knees), bugling.... There was a triple threat company that had a drill team, musicians and something else I can't remember.