Navy controller

Matty13

Jun 16, 2008
"If your worried about the run, push-ups, or sit-ups then join the air force."

Just what I would have said. Also "if you can't lift your fork without straining, join the Air Force." :)

johngault

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2010
up north
To answer your question Sailor, I was at NAS Meridian and dual qualed when I was an AC. Not sure If all the ships that use aircraft have been retro fitted for women though, its been awhile. That being said you are still limited to the type of boat. As far as boot go goes I was also told not to volunteer for anything except......Laundry. That was by two different guys one army one navy. I didnt volunteer for it but somehow ended up getting it anyway, go figure. It was the best job in the company :). I've made that same recommendation to others going in and they have all come out saying the same thing. It has been awhile but one thing you should know about your first orders..its a crap shoot. Even if you are tops in your class you may still be down the line for orders. Fleet returnees who are decent in class almost always pick first at least that was how it was. But dont sweat it I think the sea/shore rotation is 30/70 for AC's.

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
Thanks John!

I was actually told not to volunteer for any leadership positions in boot camp because I'm already going in as an E-3. I didn't want to take the opportunity to advance from someone who is an E-1 or E-2. I am hoping to get into a 900 division since I heard they don't get yelled at as much (at least that's what I heard) because they're more focused on performing for PIR.

I didn't realize that as a female AC I was limited in where I could go. Actually that works out better because I wanted to work at a NAS anyway. Thanks again for the advice John. Where were you stationed ashore if you don't mind me asking?
not to shoot you down or be forward, but honestly it would be better in your career to goto a ship first, you'll have more knowledge about not only ATC but ship life and the real navy... NAS aren't really as hard as ships, so you get spoiled, then when you go shore after, you're a lot more likely to get in trouble, ship life doesn't play. It teaches a lot and builds character... bootcamp... please... its a joke... dont even worry about it, just dont let them know you... if you get my drift, and you'll be fine.

Another thing about ATC in the navy... AC's are far more stringent on who they consider leadership, usually E-4 and below are the cleaners, sweepers, swabbers, inserv slaves etc... its the E-5's or E-4's that are shit hot that get to actually get qualifications beyond sectors (meaning FWS, CTO, RS) there are exceptions, but the exceptions are few and far between. On a ship you probably wont be able to train for an entire year, but at the same time, i'm sure a lot of other commands would be the same way, most commands send you to ASF (auxiliary security force) for your first 6 months to a year.

Its not all sunshines and rainbows for the first year or 2, even when you make 3rd, you'll be a working supervisor, so not all of your time will be on position unless you're the ONLY qual, however you usually always have a trainee to replace you, so you can move on. I wish you and the new guy lots of luck on ATC school, some people get it, some dont, i went out and drank at Port-Side Bar every night and graduated with an 89, others studied their asses off and either washed out or graduated. If you're able to retain knowledge, think quickly, problem solve, talk quickly but not too fast to not be understood, be able to understand scratchy or murmured mic's and remember loads of phraseology and not freeze up when you have to say it, know exactly what to say, you should be fine. And again, good luck with the school, you know how you are and will know if you can pass as soon as you step foot in the A-school building.

Good luck to you pianist, and the new guy (too lazy to go back and see his name)

oh... study up hard for your tests, 3rd class dropped from 100% to 52% or somewhere around there and 2nd class dropped from what it was to 30%.
so unless you study, you wont stand against those that do study.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
This is completely off-topic, but does anyone know which overseas facilities will allow you to get rated? Does Japan, Italy, Spain or Korea allow you to get any quals? I know you can get a CTO from Diego Garcia, but one user on here told me the that CTO was not taken seriously by the FAA.

ATC_MacGyver

MacGyver
Dec 19, 2008
with the bears.
obviously u meant oops and their...but we'll let that slide since your Navy.

your right though that most AF guys can't say that their dual-rated. but if u ask the FAA then they will tell you that most Navy "guys" aren't rated at all...or dual-rated for that matter since they don't recognize carrier or CATTC ratings.

way to go squid!
carrier and "CATCC" are the same thing.

I find it absolutely hilarious the guy who points out a misuse of "there," and "their," doesn't know the difference between "your," and "you're."

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
CATCC and ATCC are the only two ratings the FAA doesn't recognize, but they're harder than tower or enroute, the reason i think its bogus is because there is PAR on the boat. PAR is a renowned qual which should be given a radar rating and recognized. No big deal though, lets just make another little battle between AF and Navy ATC, its not like we did the exact same things, we could go on forever about whose statistically better, but it doesn't matter, either you can control or you cant, the FAA makes you start over anyways. I've known dumb air force, dumb marine, and dumb navy controllers, everyone has them.

This is completely off-topic, but does anyone know which overseas facilities will allow you to get rated? Does Japan, Italy, Spain or Korea allow you to get any quals? I know you can get a CTO from Diego Garcia, but one user on here told me the that CTO was not taken seriously by the FAA.
Any working ATC facility, unless you're TACRON, will let you get a facility rating, they all have training, they all have quals, they all have ratings. He's right a cto is a cto... doesn't matter where you get it, its recognized by the FAA, i mean some CTI's get them from simulators so a cto with experience is just as good if not better. Its good you're hungry to be a controller, and you have the right frame set of mind, but make sure you're paying attention in class cause its all in vain if you fail, just keep your chin up and pass that shit.

kuntry

Newcomer
Jun 4, 2009
I didn't read all the posts, but if you are just looking to get your CTO and go FAA, don't bother with a ship. It gets you absolutely nowhere in the FAA. If you are going to make the Navy a career, don't go to a ship until your atleast an E-5. You will only be cleaning any lower than that. I speak from many years experience. You really need to consider your choices, pick one and run with it. Good luck.

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
ya but she'll get the same ship duties on shore duty, then she'll goto ASF for 6months to a year, then go back as an E-4 and begin training, maybe get fully qual'd maybe not depending on her and the ship shore rotation. All i was saying is if she went to a ship first, she'd basically get all the crap out of the way then pretty much have nothing to worry about when she finally gets to shore, rather get sea duty out of the way and have the rest of the enlistment on shore. Not only that but she'll be able to remember stuff a lot better when she's leaving shore duty to go to the FAA. Who knows, if she's lucky she could do shore... shore... shore... ship and will have been in 8 or so years. I have many years experience in this too, i think it would just be better to have a better all rounded sailor and controller.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Oh Nizmo, I'm only planning on doing one enlistment (5 years) which is why I agree that going to shore is better initially. I'm going in as an E-3 because I have a college degree and "should" be eligible for E-4 right after A school. I say should because I know nothing is guaranteed. I've met several people on here who went to shore first and were extended there the entire 5 years. One user said the Navy was cutting costs and keeping sailors on shore to 5 years, which would be perfect for me. Others on here have advised me to go to sea duty first to get it out of the way, but since I only have 5 years, I figured spending as much of that time on shore would be much more beneficial. If I were a little younger (I'm 24), I'd definitely go for sea duty first. Controlling on a carrier sounds exciting, and traveling was something I wanted to accomplish in the Navy. Unfortunately, I'm pushed for time to get into the FAA.

If I go to shore first as an E-4 (after A school), and have to go to ASF for a year, I'd be eligible to take the E-5 exam when I finished, right? I read that E-5's get priority for training so wouldn't that work out still? My recruiter told me the sea/shore flow changes for certain ranks. Is the sea shore flow different for E-4's and E-5's?

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
i agree with you, but what happens if you don't get to CHOOSE cause you're not top of class... or what if the only orders available are sea? There's an extremely large wait to get in to the FAA, so your entrance isn't guaranteed. I'm a qualified Facsfac controller, basically i could goto any enroute and not have a problem controlling, same controlling. I applied 4 times, got referred all but 1 time but i had more than a year left of the navy. I got passed over every time, not sure why, I put the same application into BNSF and got hired first time up. All i'm saying is, and you can ask anyone on here, have a plan B.

Not sure what the sea shore rotation is for e-4/e-5, i know its more shore, its harder to get to a boat the higher rank you are in the navy. But I'm going to tell you, there's a LOT of E-7's and E-6's who are detailers who say " your first station is a boat!!" and they WILL PUT YOU THERE. Some are lucky, some aren't... DO NOT GO TACRON! E-5's might get priority, and E-4's might get priority, depends on the duty station. Just saying there's lots of variables you have to look at and have a plan B for everything you, especially in the military. The advancement rate has dropped A LOT for E-4's and E-5's. Not saying you wont make it, but just be weary, even E-4's in ATC are treated like E-1's-E-3's... there's too many of them for anyone to care.

Just saying good luck is all, but understand there's no exceptions. I hope you prove me wrong...

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Oh I understand. I have several back up plans in case the FAA doesn't work out. One of them is to actually use my degree (in education) and teach. It won't be the greatest pay, but at least I won't starve. I may actually like the Navy and decide to put in an officer package once they finish paying off my loans after 3 years. If that's the case, I would just make the Navy my career. I understand what you're saying, and I have a plan B and C in place. I am perfectly aware things may not/probably won't go the way I won't them to in the military, and I'm prepared for that. I think common sense would tell most people not to "put all of their eggs in one basket" when applying to any job.

Obviously, if I'm TOLD to go to sea first, I will have to go. IF I do have the option, then I'm definitely taking Kuntry's advice and going to shore first. Whatever happens, happens. In my opinion, a job with BNSF Railway is a damn good job with very, very good pay (I've researched dispatcher jobs too :) ). I'd be very content having a job like that when I got out as well. Getting a job with the FAA isn't everything.

Also, why do you say to not go to a TACRON?

kuntry

Newcomer
Jun 4, 2009
Shore duty vs sea duty for E-4 and below is two different animals. On shore duty the possibility of getting rated goes way up. I put people on position to train no matter what rank if you showed the initiative. I even qualified an E-3 as a tower sup and got him a CTO, better controller than some I had seen. Also if you get shore duty your first tour, the last two years there is a possibility of getting something like San Clemente Island or San Nicholas Island, which counts as sea duty and you still get a CTO. Many different ways to look at it. But of course like I said if you want to make the Navy a career you must go to a ship. All depends on what your looking for.

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
Tacron's are paper pushers, they go out to sea and dont control cause its the ships personnel that actually control, there isn't a rating with Tacron ATC, I think its shore duty, but i'm not 100% positive. You'd be getting coffee, doing paper work, working with pubs. Tacron's are usually EXTREMELY book smart cause its all they do is study.

Its good you have other plans incase this doesn't work, there are A LOT who dont, and they'll be suffering for a while, then when they get picked up they either forgot a good majority or lost the ability to control, its not all of them, but some. Again Kuntry and I both know to get what you can when you can. Make sure if you get shore, then goto san clamente, you're single and not a parent... you'll be there from 6 months to a year at the end of your enlistment and family cant come.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Oh, ok. I knew a guy who just finished A school and was assigned to TACRON 12.He didn't seem too thrilled about it and I wondered why. He told me he didn't get ratings and that it was like a weird sea/shore hybrid where he worked on the ship but lived ashore in the barracks or something to that degree? I'll try to avoid going there if possible. I know it's all about the needs of the Navy, though. Thanks for the heads up.