Navy controller

beacha5

Newcomer
Nov 4, 2011
I leave for basic training in just under two months and will be going into AC. How was is everything, anything I should expect??

Thanks Aaron

ewanobeach

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2011
FAA purgatory.
Just so you know, military time doesn't go TOWARDS retirement, it's added on at the end after you retire. It doesn't let you retire any earlier.

You will take the Airmen's Written Test, which is also called a CTO, at the school. This is not the CTO that is needed for the FAA. Outside of FACSFAC's, I think all NAS have towers, and some NS do too.

If you get a shore facility, when you check out in the tower, you get a CTO or Control Tower Operator certificate, upon which time you will hand them your paper with the test score from the CTO/AWT exam.
AWT isn't called a CTO. A Navy CTO is a CTO. Maybe you're confused, when you take the AWT you receive your ATCS or "pink card."

ewanobeach

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2011
FAA purgatory.
I leave for basic training in just under two months and will be going into AC. How was is everything, anything I should expect??

Thanks Aaron
Nothing is difficult, it's all broken down barnie style, just pay attention. McGuire's has great steak when you get tired of the chow hall in Pensacola.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
AWT isn't called a CTO. A Navy CTO is a CTO. Maybe you're confused, when you take the AWT you receive your ATCS or "pink card."
Nope, not confused. When I took the AWT, it was also called a CTO exam. I kept my results until I was certified in the tower. At which point, my AWT/CTO results paper was sent in with my qualification to receive my CTO certificate.

nicholelm

Sep 19, 2011
Nope, not confused. When I took the AWT, it was also called a CTO exam. I kept my results until I was certified in the tower. At which point, my AWT/CTO results paper was sent in with my qualification to receive my CTO certificate.
It IS the CTO exam, but has nothing to do with actually earning a CTO. You need to keep your CTO exam paperwork until you get a local ticket, which replaces that paperwork. You are going to receive your CTO exam certificate. Not your CTO. It sounds confusing, but your AWT is just something you need until you actually get qualified somewhere