Negotiate GS Pay

Echo Mike

Epic Member
Apr 2, 2015
Tennessee
I have read in other DoD forums where new hires were able to get a step increase as a condition of employment if they were able to justify why they are qualified for one. Has anyone been able to get a step increase after a TOL? Is it on the facility or the HR to approve/deny a starting step increase?

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
I was hired at a gs12 place that started everyone off as a gs 9. They originally wanted another guy but he turned it down. they countered him by offering to start him out as a gs9 step 4. He still turned it down. They hired me as a gs9 step4. I didn't even have to negotiate. Having said all that. I've never heard of that happening. Usually, there are plenty of candidates willing to work for entry level pay.

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
If you are entering federal service for the first time; expect to start as a step 1. Where negotiation comes into play, is if you are a DOD transfer or get picked up for a position that is the same pay grade with more responsibility(i.e. moving from line controller to a staff position where you supervise other employees). In those cases, you might be able to get a step or two to sweeten the pot.

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
Having said all that... I always make it a habit to ask upfront if pay is negotiable in any employment offer I get. You will never know if you don't ask and you just may luck out.

Echo Mike

Epic Member
Apr 2, 2015
Tennessee
Im not sure if an automatic step increase is involved. Suppose to get the call from HR Thur or Fri. Would love to get a couple step increase but would def take entry level even though it is a pay cut.