Nervous about AT-SAT

SmartBlonde1214

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2009
Florida
Hey guys! I am thrilled to have stumbled across this site. Its been really helpful and informative.

I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom for the AT-SAT? I am taking the test a week from today (January 10) in Daytona Beach and I couldnt be more nervous! Its kind of funny...this is my last semester of college and you'd think Id be a little more nervous about my classes since those are what matter for graduation, but I am WAY more nervous about this test.

I bought the 'Green Book' and have been working on the tests online for almost a month. I feel comfortable with them, but the perfectionist in me HAS to get a perfect score. How impossible is that? Ive seen other people's scores and they've received 97's and 100's and I am really impressed...so is it possible for me? haha, Am I over-thinking all this?

And Im wondering how long this whole process takes. I graduate in April and Im pretty sure this process takes longer than that. Does the Academy have classes that start each month? I have so many questions, lol.

If anyone has any answers that would be a tremendous help! I appreciate it :)

illogical

Oct 4, 2008
orlando
its not that bad, and dont freak out when you leave the test feeling like you bombed it.. I know i (everyone) felt awful about it after the test and I came away with a decent score.... anyways do a little forum searching for more exact answers but the process takes 6mo to a yr if there are no hold ups. Classes start every week in okc..

welcome to stuckmic... im a new hire down the road from you in orlando and went through class in okc with a dab controller

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
Just keep in mind your score doesn't really matter. As long as you get into the qualified range or well qualified range (85 and above?) you will be hired. With the prep you have done I can't imagine you wouldn't fit in the well qualified range. At that point it doesn't matter if you got a 85 or a 100 you get thrown in with the same crowd.

I did no prep, had no real idea what was on it and got a 95.

chris13650

Dec 23, 2008
Yeah, i didn't study or take any practice tests, im only 18, with no college courses, and scored a 97.3.

Took me about 5 hours, i took a few breaks though.

klumetta

Newcomer
Oct 16, 2008
michigan
as a 20 year controller i would like to offer you help, however as i said its been 20 some years since i took the test. so all i can offer is good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
don't worry too much about it. You have PLENTY of time. They give you like 8 hours but most people finish in 4-5 I think (our proctor told us one guy didnt finish in time once but only because he fell asleep for a few hours...he was serious).

The green book is an excellent way to prepare. I think its about as close as you get. Some of the software can be a little glitchy but I believe they have patches for that now.

Math- Almost exactly how it is in the practice. Not the same problems but almost exactly the same types. Just practice those and you'll be fine.

Guages- Really straight forward. Just relax and make sure you take time to read the guages and you'll be money (Yes, I just said "money")

Box factory- I honestly thought this was the hardest part. Just do your best. I don't think its weighted that much against you.

Air Traffic Simulator - Just relax and try to have fun with it. DONT WORRY IF YOU CRASH PLANES. I know people who crashed some and still got high 90's on the test. The guy I sat next to in the exam crashed one like every minute (im not exagerating) and I saw him at my pepc so it shouldnt be a big deal.

Almost EVERYONE I talked to came out of that exam feeling like crap. But almost everyone was suprised at how high their score was when they got the results. So relax. Get a good nights rest. You will do just fine.

SmartBlonde1214

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2009
Florida
:multi::multi:Y'all have been so helpful! I really appreciate it.

Ive been doing all the preps and I feel confident, but as the date of the test approaches, Im getting more nervous. Ill just relax and do the best I can.

What are the odds of getting the location you want after the test is all said and done?

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
I don't know much about florida. I know some people applied and didnt get it and some applied and did (lots of help there, I know). My advice to people is to contact the facilities that you want to go to. Develop a relationship with them. Ask them if you can take a tour (or two). Ask them what their staffing levels are like. If you play your cards right you may be able to get them to request you when your pannels meet.

PorkBarrel

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008
Just keep in mind your score doesn't really matter. As long as you get into the qualified range or well qualified range (85 and above?) you will be hired. With the prep you have done I can't imagine you wouldn't fit in the well qualified range. At that point it doesn't matter if you got a 85 or a 100 you get thrown in with the same crowd.

I did no prep, had no real idea what was on it and got a 95.
That may not be true. I have talked with a facility manager who happens to be head of their respective region, and she told me that she goes down the list of ATSAT scores starting from 100 to select those that she wants. The difference between the pool of qualified and well qualified applicants is the lists that are generated for selection. As I understand it, representatives acting on behalf of their region bosses, go to OKC City to select the applicants they want. Ultimately, your score even in a well qualified category can affect the outcome. However, the process is also affected by facility/region need to hire people.

Shyu

Jul 24, 2008
www.stuckmic.com
When you go, don't rush through it. I know you want to get out of there, but don't hurry it up. This is a great opportunity to just try to rush through the process. Sleep well the night before, as for any test. And do study the "green book" prep thing. It helps in my opinion, but really, the only thing that helps is the software that comes with it, even though it is a bit buggy. It'll help. Do not fly planes over airports, the letter factory is pretty different, but what is included will help build some awareness and short term memory.

Whirlybird19

Chief Editor
Nov 22, 2008
Phoenix
Everyone has offered pretty good advice here. I took the ATSAT in Daytona Beach back in March of 08 while I was at Riddle, I am assuming that is where you go to school. I know some people at Riddle who have recently taken the exam, and I'm sure they will be willing to offer you some last min advice on exactly what to expect, such as what types of questions they ask you during letter factory (putting the letters in the boxes is a piece of cake, but the questions they ask are ridiculous). Anyways, one of them is a lab rat so I'm sure you have prolly seen him around.

PM me and I will try to set you up with some of the people I know on campus.

Good Luck. It's really not that bad.

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, i didn't study or take any practice tests, im only 18, with no college courses, and scored a 97.3.

Took me about 5 hours, i took a few breaks though.

Wait, I thought you needed 3 years of college and/or work experience in order to apply? :tap:

They hiring straight out of high school now?

A

Ammolite

Wait, I thought you needed 3 years of college and/or work experience in order to apply? :tap:

They hiring straight out of high school now?
I suppose if the person's state allowed people to work at age 15, then they'd be able to get the three year requirement in.

TennATC

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
Tennessee
i seriously hope they are not hiring 18 yr old air traffic controllers. How silly that someone who according to legislators can't even be trusted with alchohol can be trusted with peoples lifes and multi million dollar aircraft.
Hey nostammolite, started to creep up on the Jan 22 date. Good luck to you sir.