Nest List: AGC, TVC, RNO, YIP, SUS

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
Anyone have any opinions about these facilities? If its your facility. I've been a controller for 8 years and this is my second facility, washed out on radar at level 7 up/down.

I wanted to go somewhere warm and south like Richmond VA to Miami. But Reno is the only warm option. Pittsburgh is the easiest move I have family there and was born there.

Thanks for any input!

GulfCharlie

Epic Member
Sep 1, 2011
Grats on making it through, knew you were worried. If you want to ride it out, be close to family and all that jazz AGC imho..

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
Reno does sound fun, But I worry how much it is going to cost to get out there... And do I want to move my family there prior to checking out...

I know a lot of people love traverse city. the biggest problem is the winters, but Pittsburgh has the same problem.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
TVC would be a blast, but as others have said all summer traffic and super slow in the winter. Gorgeous area, sandy beaches, vineyards galore, awesome.
I talk to YIP daily. Pretty busy, open 24/7. Lots of private jets, especially after Michigan football games and race weekend. Lots of practice approaches on sunny days. Typical daily arrivals/departures all other days. Air show held there yearly, this year is the Blue Angels. Fewer runways that a few years ago, but the are below the Detroit Bravo and regularly interact with DTW/D21.

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
AGC does have some cheap housing withing bicycle range. the move would also cost one tenth of the move to Reno.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I doubt that you want to make any of them your forever home in the FAA, so take AGC for the easiest move and cheapest cost of living. You're not getting PCS money or a raise en route. Within a day's drive of the facility, you'll have many towers/TRACONS and a couple of centers for future networking. AGC this year, CMH or MDT two years from now to get a fresh start on radar, maybe PHL or PCT for your high 3.

RomeoCharlie

Oct 13, 2010
California
I washed out of a center and had no tower experience and I checked out at RNO in 6 months. We have a nice 3 year old tower and we have a really good mix of vfr, commercial, and military traffic. We have a great group of people here and it is a nice place to live. If you have any questions about RNO send me a pm.

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
I washed out of a center and had no tower experience and I checked out at RNO in 6 months. We have a nice 3 year old tower and we have a really good mix of vfr, commercial, and military traffic. We have a great group of people here and it is a nice place to live. If you have any questions about RNO send me a pm.

what is a normal check out time for a cpc-it there? And whats the wash out rate? just curious...

RomeoCharlie

Oct 13, 2010
California
what is a normal check out time for a cpc-it there? And whats the wash out rate? just curious...
I dont know for sure. I think the last cpc-it to come here checked out in mins on all positions, so about 3 months. For people with out experience it takes probably 6-12 months to check out. I got lucky because I was the only one training so I got through training pretty fast. As far as wash out rate I have no idea, but its very low. I haven't been here that long but I can tell you that the position that people seem to struggle with the most is CD. People do wash out on CD here.

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
I'm hoping someone from AGC shows up here. I have been trying to get in touch with the rep to talk about the facility but the NATCA directory has the wrong phone number listed.

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
I'm hoping someone from AGC shows up here. I have been trying to get in touch with the rep to talk about the facility but the NATCA directory has the wrong phone number listed.
I can put you in contact with someone who works there if you have no luck.

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
TVC is an awesome place to live. The ATM there is a really good dude. The airport is right on the water. I plan to go there to retire once I'm ready. I dont know anything about the other facilities other than a friend of mine grew up in Reno and said its a shithole with nothing to do and they're basically the only city for miles and miles. His words, not mine.

Why in the ever-loving-fack would anybody wanna live in PA? Move to a place with an elite sports history, like Michigan