NEST Question

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
As a trainer this is where I would pull you aside and make sure we are on the same page. Making sure you know that you do a lot right (pep talk) and we can try a hundred different things to correct your recurring mistakes. As a trainer, if I know that you will put the work in to certify I would do anything to help you. Make sure you are showing that every day, 100% of the time to all of your coworkers too. They may be able to come up with stuff to help you too. People are watching, believe me. Hopefully, this is a temporary block and you can move forward. Good luck.
100% agree

Gooky2

Rookie
Aug 19, 2016
Project more. Think of this like a pool match. I.E. If I do this, this will happen, etc. Take an extra second and make sure you are making the right moves. Use the skill enhancement training to work on this. Make sure the skill enhancement training is hitting on all areas you need work on. I've seen trainees make great progress in additional training. They want you to succeed, that is why they are doing this. Kick a** and take names. Make it work!! Good luck.

5by5

Newcomer
May 3, 2014
Yes. I am saying after the NEST. You can be released. I should have been more clear.....There is zero guarantee you will get picked up through NEST. If no one bites, you will be released. More changes are coming as well in the next few years, none of them seem to favor the NEST process. Good luck to all.
This is not including CPC-IT's correct?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
CPC-ITs can also be released. There are some facilities that offer return rights on their bids, but if you're not going to one of them I don't believe they'd any guarantee

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
CPC-ITs can also be released. There are some facilities that offer return rights on their bids, but if you're not going to one of them I don't believe they'd any guarantee
Any CPC-IT that stops training for whatever reason, has the option of going back to their previous facility if a vacancy exists. They don't have to wait for the NEST to meet.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Stinger, I do not believe this is correct. Can you please state your source if you remember? I know for a fact my first facility would never take anyone back after they erred. From what I understand, many facilities do this, as we have had a few washouts who have not gotten to go back to their previous facilities and have had to go through nest or erred out after failure.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Stinger, I do not believe this is correct. Can you please state your source if you remember? I know for a fact my first facility would never take anyone back after they erred. From what I understand, many facilities do this, as we have had a few washouts who have not gotten to go back to their previous facilities and have had to go through nest or erred out after failure.
The NEST page on the KSN website. I'll copy and paste the exact wording tomorrow.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009

We have made a minor adjustment to the NEST SOP in regards to the manner in which CPC-ITs are processed. For those CPC-ITs who are unsuccessful in, or withdraw from, training at their new facility and wish to return to their previous facility these individuals will no longer have to wait until the next NEST panel. Rather, they will be placed at their previous facility should a vacancy exist. This should eliminate some of the waiting that is experienced in the field for employees that desire to return to their prior facility.

This change is effective immediately. The new language will be incorporated into the NEST SOP

1.1.3: If an employee was a CPC at their previous facility, who subsequently withdraws or is terminated from training at their current facility, and has submitted a written request to return to their previous facility and not receive a listing of facilities, the ATM will notify the Manager of the Air Traffic Services Team and the Service Center POC of the request to return to their previous facility. If the facility is below the 100% projected CPC to Target then the employee will be placed at their previous facility.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Interesting. Definitely an improvement as far as that goes, good for you guys!
What happens if the previous facility is at 100 percent or higher already? Are you still guaranteed return rights, or only if your facility is below 100%? As I understand the projected numbers of facilities are starting to rise.
And are you guaranteed a spot in the nest if you are unable to return to your previous facility?
I’m not asking for me, I’m just curious

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
If your previous facility is projected 100% or above, you can't go back. You will go to the Nest and receive a list of facilities to rank.
If your previous facility is projected under 100%, you still don't have to go back if you don't want to. You can still get placed into the Nest to receive a facility list if that's what you want.

AlphaAlpha69

Rookie
Mar 29, 2015
New Mexico
HOW does NEST affect your options for future assignments?

For instance, a person washes at N90 after a few positions, NEST decides to retain and place in a level 7 TRACON. The person gets checked out at the level 7 and wants to transfer to a level 9 or perhaps a different TRACON like Houston or Dallas, would the previous failure at N90 hold them up?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
HOW does NEST affect your options for future assignments?

For instance, a person washes at N90 after a few positions, NEST decides to retain and place in a level 7 TRACON. The person gets checked out at the level 7 and wants to transfer to a level 9 or perhaps a different TRACON like Houston or Dallas, would the previous failure at N90 hold them up?
Ifnyou wash from N90 with a couple positions your list is roughly 45 facilities long level 9 and under. We've had people wash, go somewhere else, check out, then bid back and check out. If you came here from a center and wash you can literally pick from every center in the country.