NEST

C

charliezuluatc

You are not going anywhere until January then. Might as well start packing.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I've been on "Admin duties". I have a couple hours worth of work to do each day but I generally refer to myself as being in detention. I sit in the CBI lab staring blankly at a computer screen and wondering if today is going to be the day. It's been fun.

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
I've been on "Admin duties". I have a couple hours worth of work to do each day but I generally refer to myself as being in detention. I sit in the CBI lab staring blankly at a computer screen and wondering if today is going to be the day. It's been fun.
You didn't certified in any position??

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Well, even though I had the recommendations of my training team (to stay employed), recommendations from my management and NATCA, and a very low staffed tower (8 of 12-15) who wanted me very badly (per their facrep), I have been told I was NOT recommended for retention.

This is by word of mouth from my ATM, who said I should expect the letter from HR in about a week. After I get the letter, I have a time period to respond (I believe 15 days), then my response will be sent up to the VP again for review. If he or his designee decides no means no, I will be released. Timeframe for release provided no extenuating circumstances is 30 days from receipt of termination proposal letter.

In the meantime I will be drafting my response letter for the VP, and searching for other jobs in the agency. There are a couple of avenues in the event I am fully removed from the agency...Reinstatement and Re application (my ATM mentioned a hiring panel in Jan already??) More to follow on those as I get info. Best of luck everyone.

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
People also need to realize that there is more to certification than how "good" of a controller you are. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to admit I had my faults. But, the controller attitude, trainer attitude, overall environment in the facility plays a HUGE role. I know people who should be right beside me in this process, but are not, due to other circumstances. Understand that hard work and a good attitude only get you so far...

mgcb

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2011
Delaware
Sorry to hear that Roger. You probably already know this but the way I understand it is that you will never be able to age out, so you can apply to every subsequent announcement that you qualify for. Good chance for a fresh start, I suppose

C

charliezuluatc

If your manager dropped you a hint as you said they did. Then you will have to find a job to support yourself until you do re enter.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
There are CTI students out there like me who understand the potential for this to happen to any of us, and it is daunting. Best of luck to you, RW.

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
First off, thanks for all the support...I honestly didn't expect that from a group of controllers. Second, I still haven't heard anything further than the NEST opting not to retain me. I haven't received the official notice of termination yet. That being said, the NEST findings still need to make it through the Terminal VP office (which may or may not have occurred by now). The VP office is the "checks and balances" system for the NEST, I'm told. They make the final decision and they are the ones you appeal to if you get a termination letter. If there is a disagreement between the NEST and the VP, the VP gets final say.

Thanks for the heads up on the age, I was wondering about that. I was told that since I've already been hired and worked as a 2152 prior to the age cutoff, I am ok to reapply after 31.

As far as "dirty laundry," people don't learn anything from just hearing the good news. If you're as transparent as you can be with this process, people may be able to find a piece of information that helps them out. On that note, please remember to share your experiences on here so that as people go through this new process, they have all the info they can.

Thanks again everyone, and above all, KEEP A GOOD ATTITUDE no matter the outcome. There are appeals and options available. Its not over until you've exhausted every option. Regards.

Reactions: KDskylark

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Sounds like the guy here is going to be retained and sent to some tower in California. Started Center training in 2007, started here at an up/down in early 2011, not sure when he's moving on. Never been facility rated, but did get his CTO.

foxtrotlimaalpha6

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2010
USA
This is a little late but i'm at a level 6 up/down and we got a washout from a level 10 up/down who didn't make it here either, but made it through the tower. Long story short, he was sent to a level 5 tower only and checked out so people do get 3 chances from what I've seen.

GIANTS10

Newcomer
Jan 16, 2013
California
This is a little late but i'm at a level 6 up/down and we got a washout from a level 10 up/down who didn't make it here either, but made it through the tower. Long story short, he was sent to a level 5 tower only and checked out so people do get 3 chances from what I've seen.
Did this happen prior to the NEST being implemented OR all this happen when the NEST was implemented? According to the document, it was implemented in April this year.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
Did this happen prior to the NEST being implemented OR all this happen when the NEST was implemented? According to the document, it was implemented in April this year.
I think the first NEST was held in September, so I'd guess that yes that was pre-NEST.