NEST

PhillyManlove

Dec 18, 2013
Philly
You guys think having a NEST is better than article 61 in the red book? Do you think it increases the odds of us training failures to be retained?
Without a doubt. Under the old program...a manager could get rid of you without any real checks and balances.... Yes, there was and still is the training review board. However, the decision for termination came from your manager and no one really questioned his authority. Phillymanlove has personally seen, at a smaller facility, a manager threaten to wash a kid out who's only crime was questioning his supervisor during a skills check... and then do it. Some of these managers at lower levels, run kingdoms.

Now someone independent is making that final judgement call.

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
It's not official yet but, word is the end is nigh. VP has proposed my removal and it should arrive soon.
Ok, so between you, me, and another guy who has now come to my facility, everyone is being removed. That seems odd to me. Are they just telling everyone that? It seems like someone is just leaking that information out and hoping the "doomed" trainee finds other means of employment so nobody actually has to be fired. Nobody received any paperwork either. It's all just word of mouth.

Between the NEST and now the CTI program being scrapped, there is something going on with FAA hiring that we are not hearing about. I wonder what would happen if we were to stick it out until they give us the actual paperwork and then go through the appeals process? I feel as though we would be better prepared to make a case than they would at this point.

C

charliezuluatc

It's not uncommon to get word of mouth info on a pending termination. This happens regularly with training failure and disciplinary issues. It's a human nature thing. Like a heads up, get your stuff packed or whatever .

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
Ok, so between you, me, and another guy who has now come to my facility, everyone is being removed. That seems odd to me. Are they just telling everyone that? It seems like someone is just leaking that information out and hoping the "doomed" trainee finds other means of employment so nobody actually has to be fired. Nobody received any paperwork either. It's all just word of mouth.

Between the NEST and now the CTI program being scrapped, there is something going on with FAA hiring that we are not hearing about. I wonder what would happen if we were to stick it out until they give us the actual paperwork and then go through the appeals process? I feel as though we would be better prepared to make a case than they would at this point.
I got word from my rep that I'm being retained, so they're looking for a vacancy in the system.

rjaeger13

Rookie
Apr 5, 2013
So what exactly brought on the decision for removal?? if you don't mind me asking.... i didn't get the full story. Performance based?

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Another thing I'm noticing is that there are clearly two types of people going through this process: The first type is upset that they washed out and is motivated not only to be retained, but to CONTROL AIRCRAFT again. The second type of person is relieved that they washed out and will take anything they can get to remain in the agency. Why aren't they actively seeking out the trainees who still have the drive to control?

Also, there are employees being proposed for removal after only their first facility. I do know that the red book Article 61, section 2 states that training failures may be given an opportunity at a lower level facility if a vacancy exists and they are past their probationary period. It does NOT specify VFR vs. up/down towers either. Just "lower level" facilities. I requested a lower level up/down after coming from VFR only and was supposedly elected for removal. Thoughts?

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
So what exactly brought on the decision for removal?? if you don't mind me asking.... i didn't get the full story. Performance based?
I don't know about Cirrus, but I was not told why. Obviously, we failed to complete training and had to go through the NEST process for performance reasons.

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
I got word from my rep that I'm being retained, so they're looking for a vacancy in the system.
That's great news! Glad someone heard something positive. Let us know where you're headed. There are a few understaffed facilities out there.

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
That's great news! Glad someone heard something positive. Let us know where you're headed. There are a few understaffed facilities out there.
Thank you, hopefully I find out sooner, rather than later and I'm to hear about your situation and wish you the best of luck and everything works out in your favor...

Reactions: KDskylark

jlwerne1

Newcomer
May 27, 2011
I am having the same problem with the NEST process no one can really tell me much of anything. I am like you WILCO. I am at my first VFR facility and my ATM and others recommended me to go to another smaller airport with vacancies in my district. And my result was still denial. There has definitely been a precedence set that trainees get more than one try. I know if I had gone to a center; I probably would be retained.