NEST

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
I am having the same problem with the NEST process no one can really tell me much of anything. I am like you WILCO. I am at my first VFR facility and my ATM and others recommended me to go to another smaller airport with vacancies in my district. And my result was still denial. There has definitely been a precedence set that trainees get more than one try. I know if I had gone to a center; I probably would be retained.
Did you certify in any positions??

Ryan09

Rookie
Feb 9, 2009
Long Island, NY
Just a quick FYI, my NATCA rep just told me that NEST is meeting the last week of January. So hopefully, anyone else in my situation should expect some news shorlty after.

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
Just a quick FYI, my NATCA rep just told me that NEST is meeting the last week of January. So hopefully, anyone else in my situation should expect some news shorlty after.
My rep told me that their meeting this week for the placement and search of vacancies from the December meeting, so hopefully the January one is a lot faster than the December.

Kabe

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2013
Just curious why somebody who washes out of a low-level tower would want to go to an even lower-level tower? You're always going to have that ceiling in your career. I can see doing it short-term, but I'd be lining up another occupation.

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
Just curious why somebody who washes out of a low-level tower would want to go to an even lower-level tower? You're always going to have that ceiling in your career. I can see doing it short-term, but I'd be lining up another occupation.
Because with experience can come the ability to raise the ceiling.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Had a friend of mine wash at a center and just recently got word last week they will be retained to a level 6 tower-only.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
Jeeze, reading through this thread makes me wonder why they got rid of the "keep it in district" method we used to have

mgcb

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2011
Delaware
For everyone that is offered a location after the NEST panel meets, is it just some random facility anywhere in the USA that needs people? Or are there some sort of geographic criteria that have to be met i.e. same service area or same region.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
Nest will place you at a facility where the FAA needs you. No geographical restrictions.

recent one I've heard is a washout from a California facility getting sent to ohio

Kabe

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2013
Because with experience can come the ability to raise the ceiling.
You'd have to really prove yourself, 8 or 10 years at the 5 and then still be forever competing with people who didn't wash out of a 6. A higher facility may not want to risk it. Fair or not, there's the perception "he washed out of a X, doing fine at a X-1, sounds like that's where he belongs."

PA27Pilot said:
Some people don't want to get their head bashed in every day and are happy at a level 6. You can still make 70k+ and make a decent living where the cost of living is low. It's all about perspective. Just because it isn't O'hare doesn't mean we don't like coming into work everyday.
If you have to come into work every day, why not make twice as much for the same job? And I've been at 11 and 12's my whole career and never felt "bashed." Busier just means the shift goes by quicker.

Also think about the difference in pension. Yes, more money doesn't bring more happiness, but lack of money can sure cause unhappiness. If your dream is to retire in a quiet level 5 or 6, the usual path is to make it in a much higher level then transfer down. Same job, more money.

But to the original guy, he might also consider getting into management after getting signed off in the new place. Might be easier that way.

Kabe

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2013
Sometimes washing out has less to do with ability and more to do with personality conflicts.
That's what a training failure will tell you. The copious training forms by multiple instructors and supes will say otherwise. Everything is documented. Nobody gets washed out because "he's a good controller, but nobody likes him."

NEtingUwant

Rookie
Jan 13, 2014
That's what a training failure will tell you. The copious training forms by multiple instructors and supes will say otherwise. Everything is documented. Nobody gets washed out because "he's a good controller, but nobody likes him."
But if you're not liked you can get hounded to the point you give up.

jlwerne1

Newcomer
May 27, 2011
If I go to a lower level airport does not mean I cannot move around ask all the controllers around you where they came from you would be surprised. Radar and tower are different and every airport is different.
I want to be in ATC, my start with the FAA has not been a good one with work culture environment etc. Why not go somewhere else

jlwerne1

Newcomer
May 27, 2011
You sound like you have only worked at bigger airports. These smaller facilities where there is only 10-15 people; it can be about personality conflicts. And if you get trained by a bunch of washouts, how good of training you think that is?

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
You've obviously always been the popular kid in class. In the facilities that only have 10-15 people, 85% of whom are washouts from elsewhere, you have personality conflicts. Its a much more personal environment. Not to say there aren't deficiencies in ability, but you have to look at the whole picture. I'm sure you know as well as anyone that training forms don't paint the whole picture of the scenario everytime. I know low level facilities who have had the same staff members for nearly 20 years. Hmmm...I wonder what'll happen to a person those people don't get along with?