NEST

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Haha yep, well, I was on that page, saw his post and ran with it! When I saw everyone else's replies, I thought what the heck, I've already typed it now! Glad to see most of us are in agreement.

Kabe

Newcomer
Jul 9, 2013
You've obviously always been the popular kid in class. In the facilities that only have 10-15 people, 85% of whom are washouts from elsewhere, you have personality conflicts. Its a much more personal environment. Not to say there aren't deficiencies in ability, but you have to look at the whole picture. I'm sure you know as well as anyone that training forms don't paint the whole picture of the scenario everytime. I know low level facilities who have had the same staff members for nearly 20 years. Hmmm...I wonder what'll happen to a person those people don't get along with?
Never had to deal with that, but it sounds pretty sh*tty. I can see how that would happen though. All the more reason to go enroute or mega-tracon out of the academy if you can.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
Just got the paperwork for my "Proposed Removal". Looks like it's based on this being strike 2 and the manager's recommendation that I wouldn't be successful at a lower level facility.

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
I have a basic idea of what I'm going to say in my letter. Haven't started actually writing, just jotting notes.
Ok, so I've been looking on the FAA employees site and even contacted my regional HR. They have nothing for me aside from having 15 days to submit a response and that submission of said response does not extend your retainment. I couldn't even get a firm number of days after receipt of letter to final "clean out your locker" day. I'll keep looking, but HR told me everything you need is in your letter. Can you PM me what it says?

RogerWILCO

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Just got the paperwork for my "Proposed Removal". Looks like it's based on this being strike 2 and the manager's recommendation that I wouldn't be successful at a lower level facility.
Funny how this process was created so that the majority of emphasis was NOT placed on the recommendation of your ATM...Guess that backfired, huh? Strike two, unfortunately, is documented everywhere...

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
Funny how this process was created so that the majority of emphasis was NOT placed on the recommendation of your ATM...Guess that backfired, huh? Strike two, unfortunately, is documented everywhere...
Based on the letter that I got I would assume that there is a heavy consdieration placed on the ATMs recomendation. It made it seem as though if he had said I'd be successful at a lower level, I would have been referred to one. That however is just based on how my letter was written. For someone else it could be written different and suggest that another area is more important. It's impossible to say.

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
Based on the letter that I got I would assume that there is a heavy consdieration placed on the ATMs recomendation. It made it seem as though if he had said I'd be successful at a lower level, I would have been referred to one. That however is just based on how my letter was written. For someone else it could be written different and suggest that another area is more important. It's impossible to say.
You received your letter today from your manager??

Ryan09

Rookie
Feb 9, 2009
Long Island, NY
I don't know if this person is on this forum or not but, I figured I would share. There is a developmental from another area that is ahead of me in the NEST process. NEST reviewed his profile mid-decemeber, took a month (mid-january) to find out he was going to be retained and then a week later got his choices of Ft. Lauderdale, Teterboro or San Juan. He requested NY or FL. Apparently he's not thrilled with his choices. Unfortunately, I don't know him to get more insight but this is what i got from the NATCA rep in a quick passing conversation in the hallway.

I don't know exactly what to make of it really, it kinda squashes my hopes of getting ISP but then again I heard ISP is being downgraded to a level 5 or 6. I am figuring on getting my choices in late februaury.

Last edited:

KDskylark

Dec 7, 2008
LA
Ryan09 ISP has been over staffed for awhile. I remember you mentioning that the union rep said it wasn't but someone from my tower has been trying to get back there for awhile.

Additionally, I am waiting for my geographical choices from the December panel. The way it was explained it's kind of on a first come first serve basis. What I mean by that is, they consider the preferences of whoever is first then if their choice doesn't effect you then you get yours. I'm waiting for the first group to pick and then I get their left overs I guess. This is how it was explained. I can't vouch for the accuracy.

estup24

Dec 4, 2013
USA
Ryan09 ISP has been over staffed for awhile. I remember you mentioning that the union rep said it wasn't but someone from my tower has been trying to get back there for awhile.

Additionally, I am waiting for my geographical choices from the December panel. The way it was explained it's kind of on a first come first serve basis. What I mean by that is, they consider the preferences of whoever is first then if their choice doesn't effect you then you get yours. I'm waiting for the first group to pick and then I get their left overs I guess. This is how it was explained. I can't vouch for the accuracy.

From what I was told by my ATM and Facrep, there were a couple of controllers (including myself) that got retained to the same kind of facility, and they send out the preferences based on who's been out of training the longest and it goes from there. I was told "I'm next in line" so hopefully I'll get my preferences soon...

SierraZulu

Trusted Member
Aug 2, 2008
I don't know if this person is on this forum or not but, I figured I would share. There is a developmental from another area that is ahead of me in the NEST process. NEST reviewed his profile mid-decemeber, took a month (mid-january) to find out he was going to be retained and then a week later got his choices of Ft. Lauderdale, Teterboro or San Juan. He requested NY or FL. Apparently he's not thrilled with his choices. Unfortunately, I don't know him to get more insight but this is what i got from the NATCA rep in a quick passing conversation in the hallway.

I don't know exactly what to make of it really, it kinda squashes my hopes of getting ISP but then again I heard ISP is being downgraded to a level 5 or 6. I am figuring on getting my choices in late februaury.
He got offered FLL or Ft. Lauderdale Exec? His short list isn't bad at all.

A dude I know went through the NEST last month and was offered ISP but passed it up so maybe it's available for you.

Timmy

Newcomer
Jun 24, 2012
How did you guys find out when the nest looked at you, and did anyone get sent a form to fill out for their preferences or how did those come about? Everyone at my facility hasn't the slightest clue about this process and how it works. Can someone break it down for me? All I know is that it was reported at the end of December. Thanks.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I don't think the NEST actually sees your geo prefs. I got a copy of everything they reviewed. I included locations in my letter and my manager did as well. When I get the paperwork back all geographic info had been blacked out.