New 2 SM, Ancient in the FAA

Dec 5, 2009
Knoxville
Hey, Im Bob, been at TYS (Knoxville TN) for 20 years now.
It is a great job and a great place to work.
There are a lot of grumbling old f@rts in the agency, don't let them
get you down. Sure, the politics of the job and union are somewhat
retarded from time to time, but I want to encourage all of you new folks
to stick with it, it is a fun and rewarding career.

Any questions?

MR/TYS

Dec 5, 2009
Knoxville
Glad to help... first tips for newbies..or noobs as my sons tell me

1) take training seriously. Work hard and don't argue finer points with your instructor. Be teachable. If your instructor is a dork, just smile, nod your head, and keep em separated.

2) Even though the dress code has slackened.. don't push any limits. If you want to be taken seriously. Take the job seriously.

3) There is a lot of anti-FAA sentiment in the union, I am part of NATCA, but we sometimes lose sight that we do have a boss, and it is not OUR job, it is THEIR job to give. Do your job well, don't give them reason to consider you unreliable. This does not mean you have to put up with a lot of crap, but don't go filing a grievance every time you go over 2 hours on position either.

4) If it were not for the pilots and flying public, we would not have a job. Be nice to pilots, they can really save your butt some days.

Im sure there are more.. perhaps this would be a thread all in itself

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
there's a tier system at Stuck Mic. the more posts you have the higher level you become and the more options open up for you. there are many things that are only accessible by "elite members". i'm embarrased to say i don't know the numbers, but i believe somewhere around 150 posts and everything is opened up.

SM tier system

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
You should be able to post in SM Intros, Ask a flight surgeon, and everything under the Air Traffic Control Forum.

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
there's a tier system at Stuck Mic. the more posts you have the higher level you become and the more options open up for you. there are many things that are only accessible by "elite members". i'm embarrased to say i don't know the numbers, but i believe somewhere around 150 posts and everything is opened up.

SM tier system
To late. You have officially been quoted :poke: