New Announcement This Month

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
Predictions of how will apply versus get picked up? (CTO/VRA/REIN)
Not sure how they could be lumped together. Doesn't VRA have to attend academy and historically reinstatement did not? Also I believe the pay was always different. I think the red book has something in there about previous cpcs coming back at the bottom of cpc pay band.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Not sure how they could be lumped together. Doesn't VRA have to attend academy and historically reinstatement did not? Also I believe the pay was always different. I think the red book has something in there about previous cpcs coming back at the bottom of cpc pay band.
My gut says they'll deal with CPC's after hiring but make the bid a lump. That's how other agencies deal with reinstatement hiring.
Who knows, the old system is plug and play which would make the most sense, but the FAA likes to change things just because change.

GulfCharlie

Epic Member
Sep 1, 2011
I will go direct to a level 4 for all I care. Just pick me up, tired of pushing paper for the FAA 9(#stillFAAemployee), ready to go back to the field.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
I've got a hard to staff TRACON that would like to pick me up so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on all fronts. But yeah, I'm not getting any younger and I'll probably take just about anything.

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
The timing, at least if they follow what was in the slides, sounds pretty damn optimistic. They want facility placement second quarter this year for a bid that closes around mid Feb. So during the time between they have to hold hiring panels, give out tols, do all the medical, security stuff....sounds interesting.

zabnut

Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
Look for March 2015 or later for the actual hiring of the next batch. The bids will be no sooner than the beginning of the fiscal year. I heard two bids, one with Experience and one without.
March 2015...one experienced and one without....imagine that...I told you guys those where not rumors. LOL

As far as hiring numbers I am not sure of because I have not asked lately, but for sure it will be all that the academy can handle since they are washing out about 1/2 of the applicants.

Best of luck to all you new applicants. Study hard and save play time for later and you will improve your chances dramatically to be in the 50% that still has a job at the end of the your academy stay. Hate to state the obvious but some people get it and some people don't. Form a study group early and your chances of making it go way way up. I got a chance to thank the very individual that "Saved my bacon" 24 years ago in person a couple months ago and he had no clue how he helped saved my career.

I heard they will let people pick facilities after they pass the academy similar to how they did in the '90s. Not sure if that is true or in place yet....just something I heard and passing on the information. If it is the same as before, you pick by grade ranking and in the region you were already selected for. Like I said this is a topic of discussion from the selection team and not policy.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
March 2015...one experienced and one without....imagine that...I told you guys those where not rumors. LOL

As far as hiring numbers I am not sure of because I have not asked lately, but for sure it will be all that the academy can handle since they are washing out about 1/2 of the applicants.

Best of luck to all you new applicants. Study hard and save play time for later and you will improve your chances dramatically to be in the 50% that still has a job at the end of the your academy stay. Hate to state the obvious but some people get it and some people don't. Form a study group early and your chances of making it go way way up. I got a chance to thank the very individual that "Saved my bacon" 24 years ago in person a couple months ago and he had no clue how he helped saved my career.

I heard they will let people pick facilities after they pass the academy similar to how they did in the '90s. Not sure if that is true or in place yet....just something I heard and passing on the information. If it is the same as before, you pick by grade ranking and in the region you were already selected for. Like I said this is a topic of discussion from the selection team and not policy.
You realize this is the Reinstatemet board, right? Most of us will bypass the academy.

psykomagician

Jan 10, 2014
It never has been as far as I know mate. Also administering the Bio-Q or the ATSAT WOULD and I repeat WOULD be highly illogical to screen people who have already been certified and/or done the job.
Slides leaked from a Congressional briefing lay out 2 tracks: prior ATC experience; no experience.
For prior ATC experience - 52 weeks controlling live traffic, military or civilian (for example, in a federal contract tower or overseas for a foreign ATC authority, civilian contractor to DoD, etc.). Former military controllers (with CTO and facility ratings) and 52 weeks experience (not including training time) would quality but are still subject to the age limitation (unless they were born between certain dates, and were on any register/list/inventory as of Jan 14, 2014 - see the other forums for explanations of the Congressional language in the CROmnibus bill that was passed in December).

OPM qual standards have always provided FAA with the option to hire persons with qualifying experience at the GS-9 (equivalent in FAA is AG pay grade) without aptitude testing. So really, the FAA is (finally) applying the qual standards properly. GS-9 hires will go to the Academy for some kind of training according to the slides in most cases. And the hire will be for a specific facility in the TOL, unlike the no-experience announcement (different rules on placement).

psykomagician

Jan 10, 2014
Edit: vra who was also military atc isnt considered reinstatement?

(Not to be confused with just vra. Im assuming you could still be vra without the atc mos)
NO. Reinstatement means (a) previously employed by FAA (b) as an ATCS who (c) certified (CPC or FPL depending on your age & preference), and (d) who left the agency for reasons unrelated to conduct or discipline (e.g., voluntarily, like for family reasons), AND (e) were career-permanent appointments, which means at least 3 years of continuous non-military, civilian federal service.

Reinstatements are "status candidates" with different legal protections and options than other applicants.

psykomagician

Jan 10, 2014
I wonder if there will be separate bids for CTO, VRA, Reinstate like in the past or if they will be lumping all previous experience into one bid? Also I guess now we will be just applying for a national bid and not selecting states.
NO separate bids for CTO, VRA, etc. Two announcements, one in January, the other in March according to the Congressional briefing slides that made it onto StuckMic and other forums. January - prior experience (of whatever flavor, with the key being 52 weeks of controlling live traffic, not counting training time). Selections to be made quickly, with first hires showing up by the end of FY15 Q2 (e.g., by the end of March). March - open announcement, requires testing (even for prior experience folks, who can apply against the general announcement, but then they have to play by those rules). Hires from the general announcement won't show up until the end of the FY (late summer/early fall).

psykomagician

Jan 10, 2014
See attachment. Direct to facility by 2nd quarter....just a matter of actually getting picked up now...
The slide also says "Hired for/go directly to a specific facility (training at Academy as required)" so that decision will probably be made on a case-by-case basis (direct to facility, do not go through Academy or go through some kind of Academy training (might or might not be pass/fail) and then to facility).

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
The slide also says "Hired for/go directly to a specific facility (training at Academy as required)" so that decision will probably be made on a case-by-case basis (direct to facility, do not go through Academy or go through some kind of Academy training (might or might not be pass/fail) and then to facility).
I imagine that will depend highly on what facility. A former tower CPC going to a center would likely go to Ok city first.

psykomagician

Jan 10, 2014
You realize this is the Reinstatemet board, right? Most of us will bypass the academy.
It is not a "Reinstatement Board." Persons who have not been previous FAA certified controllers can apply, and if they have, for example, a CTO with a facility rating AND 52 weeks of experience controlling live traffic (verifiable) (military or civilian) and are younger than age 31 WILL qualify and will be eligible for hire under the announcement. The slide for the experience announcement don't say "52 weeks of post-certification FAA experience"

And as someone pointed out earlier, the number of true reinstatement candidates is not likely to be large, particularly relative to FAA's hiring needs which are north of 1500 for FY2015 and FY2016, dropping to about 1,000 in FY2017. There's not 4,000 reinstatement-eligible folks out there, maybe 400, but not 4,000.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Not to be a dick, but I mean this sub forum. Right here. Where you just posted. Is the reinstatement sub board. That is what I'm talkin about.....
And FYI.....I am a reinstatement eligible.

It is not a "Reinstatement Board." Persons who have not been previous FAA certified controllers can apply, and if they have, for example, a CTO with a facility rating AND 52 weeks of experience controlling live traffic (verifiable) (military or civilian) and are younger than age 31 WILL qualify and will be eligible for hire under the announcement. The slide for the experience announcement don't say "52 weeks of post-certification FAA experience"

And as someone pointed out earlier, the number of true reinstatement candidates is not likely to be large, particularly relative to FAA's hiring needs which are north of 1500 for FY2015 and FY2016, dropping to about 1,000 in FY2017. There's not 4,000 reinstatement-eligible folks out there, maybe 400, but not 4,000.