New Info On Next Hiring Bid

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
Just saw a Facebook post from NATCA Executive Vice President Patricia Gilbert. She shed some light on the next hiring bid as follows below. It doesn't say whether it will be OTS or prior experience but my guess would be OTS.

“Initially there was a date of July 18 circulated as an ATC hiring announcement/bid. That will likely now be the end of July or first week of August. When it is open we will circulate it far and wide. ✈✈✈✈ #NATCA".

cali

Mar 29, 2015
My guess would be prior experience if they just passed the new legislation for age 35

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
They also changed ots - no more bio-q for cti and vets. Supposedly natca wouldn't sign off on new bids without that (and to a lesser extent the 35yr limit )

trdeakin

Rookie
Apr 5, 2014
Do you guys think this process will be a bit faster reference the prior experience bid they put out in December? Think they will be doing save pay for DoD? How many were just considered "not hired" last week? What are the reasons you guys think you were considered not eligible for the previous one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThisMatt

Newcomer
Nov 19, 2013
It should be faster...They probably threw about 95% of all the applications out due to the new legislation. Everybody I know got "not hired."

trdeakin

Rookie
Apr 5, 2014
It should be faster...They probably threw about 95% of all the applications out due to the new legislation. Everybody I know got "not hired."
Same, I hope it's a blessing in disguise.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I don't see how it will be any faster. This new legislation didn't change how they process people, just who is eligible to be hired. There are people still waiting from the December bid to be completely cleared and get a facility. Until they revamp the process, it will continue to be a CF, especially when it comes to medical.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
I don't see how it will be any faster. This new legislation didn't change how they process people, just who is eligible to be hired. There are people still waiting from the December bid to be completely cleared and get a facility. Until they revamp the process, it will continue to be a CF, especially when it comes to medical.
This is correct - speed will most likely not be affected. However, if many more people are selected, then it would probably take even longer to get through everyone.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
It won't be any faster. Believe it or not this most recent experienced bid is probably the fastest one that has ever happened. If you are gonna bitch and complain about the waiting game then working for the federal government clearly is not for you.

Sosac21

Jul 17, 2016
It won't be any faster. Believe it or not this most recent experienced bid is probably the fastest one that has ever happened. If you are gonna bitch and complain about the waiting game then working for the federal government clearly is not for you.
Lawyered!

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
I wonder if not hiring any active duty will be the new norm after how this last bid went. Everyone I know who still had time, even if only a few months, left in the Air Force got "Not hired" including myself. Since the process is so long, I would hope I could at least get a TOL before I got out if they choose to hire me so that I could start the process. Of course I understand why the FAA may not want to hire someone still in though. I'm fortunate enough to be 29 with under 2 years left so the new age increase obviously is very beneficial to me and I shouldn't have to worry anymore. But for those guys who are pushing the 36 cutoff, I wonder if they might get picked up before they get out? Probably not would be my guess judging by this last bid but who knows. The Feb 2015 bid picked up every single person I know that applied who still owed time in the AF. Some guys even owed 3 or more years and still got a TOL. Maybe that's why they changed the process for the December 2015 bid.

trdeakin

Rookie
Apr 5, 2014
I wonder if not hiring any active duty will be the new norm after how this last bid went. Everyone I know who still had time, even if only a few months, left in the Air Force got "Not hired" including myself. Since the process is so long, I would hope I could at least get a TOL before I got out if they choose to hire me so that I could start the process. Of course I understand why the FAA may not want to hire someone still in though. I'm fortunate enough to be 29 with under 2 years left so the new age increase obviously is very beneficial to me and I shouldn't have to worry anymore. But for those guys who are pushing the 36 cutoff, I wonder if they might get picked up before they get out? Probably not would be my guess judging by this last bid but who knows. The Feb 2015 bid picked up every single person I know that applied who still owed time in the AF. Some guys even owed 3 or more years and still got a TOL. Maybe that's why they changed the process for the December 2015 bid.
Absolutely, I officially got out in June, so I was still hanging on hope to get picked up this last bid but this new legislation defenitely changed the game.

Tehgray

Newcomer
Jul 19, 2016
I hope not. I feel like the great ATC giveaway is slowly coming to a close, and as a guy with 3 years left.....I'd like to secure a slot. Already have guys who got their TOL's 3 years out rubbing it in my face...

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
3 years out seems excessive to me - so much can happen in that time. Since it seems like they are going to be putting out quite a few prior experience bids, I don't see them giving tols unless it's less than 6 months. As for time running out, I doubt that. Something like 50% of atc can retire today (maybe a little lower than that, but still large %). So ~5000 people, with faa hiring less than 2000 a year (many of which might fall Academy or facility)... I would say you are probably safe.

Jul 29, 2015
South Korea
I officially separated from the AF in June and I too was hoping for a TOL. Supplied sufficient paperwork for my upcoming separation as well and still nothing. I got the "not hired" like a lot of people got. This is just speculation but based off of the December 2015 bid, they pretty much bypassed anyone with time remaining in their military enlistment. I remember people that were on terminal who still got denied. I heard about a few people slipping through the cracks but I guess they were just super lucky. I'm just hoping for better results the next round with my DD-214 in hand. Trdeakin is right though, this new legislation is definitely a game changer.

echster

Sep 14, 2015
DoD ATC
Maybe the FAA will wise up on the next experienced controller bid to definitively state whom on Active Duty can apply.

For example, "Active Duty service members applying for this announcement must have a date of separation no later than 31 March 2017. Those that separate 1 April 2017 or later are not eligible."

This will save the FAA some work and let those members with a service commitment know where they stand instead of leaving them hanging for 6 months before being told "not hired."

trdeakin

Rookie
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe the FAA will wise up on the next experienced controller bid to definitively state whom on Active Duty can apply.

For example, "Active Duty service members applying for this announcement must have a date of separation no later than 31 March 2017. Those that separate 1 April 2017 or later are not eligible."

This will save the FAA some work and let those members with a service commitment know where they stand instead of leaving them hanging for 6 months before being told "not hired."
Preach

VikAnis

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2013
N. Cali
Hmm, I didn't know that the BQ will no longer apply to CTI and vets. This is really good news. On a side note, I am of the opinion that the FAA is trying to keep their annual hiring numbers in the 1-2k range for the the foreseeable future with gradual decreases.

rocketappliance

Jun 4, 2015

I think the new bill requires VRA applicants to be within 120 days of separation (if I'm interpreting the wording correctly):

“(II) are eligible for a veterans recruitment appointment pursuant to section 4214 of title 38 and provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty within 120 days of the announcement closing;