New Orleans Lakefront Tower

chichi

Sep 25, 2008
Does anyone have any information about the facility? What level etc.. I hear the FAA can't get enough applicants to accept New Orleans facilities. After Katrina and being the most dangerous city in 2008.. I wonder why
It's a level 5 tower and someone on the "other site" just received an offer for NEW today... he/she was another PUBNAT2 applicant receiving a late offer, so it's probably true about people turning it down...

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
It's a level 5 tower and someone on the "other site" just received an offer for NEW today... he/she was another PUBNAT2 applicant receiving a late offer, so it's probably true about people turning it down...
So what is a level 5 like? Somewhat busy?

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
An ATC-5 means you may have to take a break between playing cards and reading a magazine to issue a clearance. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to make a little bit of money (maybe $50k if your lucky) but be able to relax and watch the water all day, go for it. Most facilities like that are full of people that have their good time in at a big facility and are waiting to retire. In the mean time, they are making more money than you.

My advice: do yourself a favor, suck it up and go to a busier facility, spend some time, make a little money and then go somewhere like NEW and watch the tide roll in. You could go next door to MSY, they are ATC-9's. I am pretty sure at an ATC-9 you could get close to $100,000.

chichi

Sep 25, 2008
An ATC-5 means you may have to take a break between playing cards and reading a magazine to issue a clearance. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to make a little bit of money (maybe $50k if your lucky) but be able to relax and watch the water all day, go for it. Most facilities like that are full of people that have their good time in at a big facility and are waiting to retire. In the mean time, they are making more money than you.

My advice: do yourself a favor, suck it up and go to a busier facility, spend some time, make a little money and then go somewhere like NEW and watch the tide roll in. You could go next door to MSY, they are ATC-9's. I am pretty sure at an ATC-9 you could get close to $100,000.
A CPC at a level 9 only makes $57,600 before locality. CPC at level 5 would be $38,700 + locality... really not where you want to be if you want to bring home a decent paycheck.

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
Well, like I said...I would definately not want to go there unless you don't care about money. If you like the area, MSY isn't a bad choice. With locality and differential you will land in the $82k range in a couple years. That isn't too bad. Of course, New Orleans was just ranked the most dangerous city in the U.S. too! Good Luck!

jonrflowers

Newcomer
Oct 16, 2008
IRAQ
I came across a great dilemma last week when I got a call from the FAA asking if I would prefer NEW(Lakefront nola) over ZHU. Well a quick look at the payscale made it an obvious decision. I only wish it paid better I have always loved the city of New Orleans and consider it my second home having lived there a short while and I currently live on the north shore of lake Ponchartrain only about 30 minutes north of the city.

Also lakefront airport has lost almost all of its military traffic as the old Army national guard blackhawk and ATC units(that i currently work for) have moved since hurricane Katrina to a new facility on the north shore.

I would say if you love to party and dont care about money go for it. Otherwise realestate is over priced in the area the public schools are terrible and the mayor just plain sucks.

Setarfed

Rookie
Dec 4, 2008
Georgia
I would go to New Orleans in a heart beat. I chose Louisiana as one of my states for GEO PREF but I would hate to get a facility out in the country like Shreveport or something. New Orleans, like every city, has bad sections. Just New Orleans has a larger bad section than most cities. If you know where to go and not to go you'll be okay. But I would suggest not going there in order to leave a slot for me when I get hired :).

chichi

Sep 25, 2008
Those of you who want Louisiana...

PUBNAT2 applicants who weren't selected (and I think some who were) have received emails asking if we'd consider Louisiana as a preference. The email also includes a list of Louisiana facilities and asks us to rank them in the order we'd prefer them, so you guys can probably be pretty picky and list specific facilities in the comment box on your geo prefs for Louisiana. I'm turning this down, but it's clear that they are in dire need of bodies in their facilities...

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Nice!! What's so bad about Louisiana that even desperate people do not want to be there???????? besides the $$

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
hah! I got that e-mail too... I had to remind them that I already had a FOL from ZNY... I'm curious to see how they respond hahaha

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
Ridiculous, maybe the FAA needs to offer an incentive for applicants. Bailout AIG, priorities are all jacked up.. I guarantee you wont see any controllers at a nail shop wasting money in New Orleans. But you probably could catch them on Bourbon street putting that money to good use! Those hurricanes and grenades had my damn eyes closed one night. Woke up naked with 2 beads around my neck. J/K
HAH was at marti gras a few years back. remember waking up with the thought:
"okay, where am i? And where's my pants??!?"

damn that open Bacardi bar... free rum.. yum

Mr.Texas

Mod
Jun 15, 2008
i currently work at lakefront. i'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. i've been here a little over a year now. little background: air force controller for 4 years at tyndall afb, contract tower in greenville ms for 6 months, then picked up by faa for lakefront. no this little level 5 wasnt my first choice, but i wanted to get my foot in the door.

the pay sucks, 43,801 with locality. sunday pay/night dif/ojt pay brings it up a little. i'll actually make around 50-51kish this year. paycheck is normally around 1200 take home, after all deductions and with 10% going into tsp. i live in metairie (bout a 30 min drive to work) pay 670/month rent that includes water. apartments in a decent area, not run down, no crime as far as ive seen.

as far as the ppl go you cant beat it. lakefront is incredibly laid back. great manager (temp manager at the moment til the spot is filled), our supe was an msy controller who is just as laid back as we are. won't go into too much detail about how laid back it is as ive seen some things from the web make it into the wrong hands.

you don't have to plan on being here forever. ive been here since oct 07, got checked out dec 07 and just put in my err paperwork (and it was approved) so i'll be heading out oct of 09. i'm transferring out to make more money and move back home where my fiancee is. if the pay changes between now and then tho i'll try to withdraw my transfer. i believe it was around 62k on the old pay. they'd have to drag me away from this place if i was making 70kish with all the incentive pay.

hope some of that info helps, didnt mean to ramble on. if your looking for an easy laid back place to go, this isnt bad. anything else you want to know feel free to ask. hours are 8 am-6pm...you either work 8-4 or 10-6, just another plus if you dont like working late.
nice post, hopefully this helps my man atcboy with his decision..... if it's not already made ;)