New regions?

BS_26

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was told that when I graduate we may no longer be able to pick 2 states that we want to apply to. Instead we may have to pick one of the three regions. Every time I try to see which states are in those regions there are more then the 3 regions that they are saying we will have to choose from (Western, Central, Eastern). If you could please let me know which states are in the Central region I would appreciate it.

vic1218

Nov 23, 2008
I was told that when I graduate we may no longer be able to pick 2 states that we want to apply to. Instead we may have to pick one of the three regions. Every time I try to see which states are in those regions there are more then the 3 regions that they are saying we will have to choose from (Western, Central, Eastern). If you could please let me know which states are in the Central region I would appreciate it.
There are three service areas and somewhere around 10 different regions. The service areas are like you mentioned east, central, and western. They are broken up based on geography.

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
That's how it was a few years back. You applied to a region. I don't even think you were given a terminal or center option.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Its true. I'm looking at the email right now from our district manager saying due to the new regions he is stepping down to facility ATM and the new district manager is at L30.

I'm in the Arizona district and we picked up new facilities.

We picked up GCN, LAS, L30, VGT, E10.. And added them to P50, PHX, DVT, FFZ, SDL, TUS, U90.

We all one big district now. YaH!

BS_26

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Can anyone tell me which states are in the Western, Central, or Eastern areas so I can try to see where I might want to apply? Obviously it would be easiest to just tell me the central area but whatever info you have to share will atleast help me narrow it down.

Davidian

Mar 31, 2010
Don't you wanna know?
I think there is confusion with what they are planning to go with for picking your "region". The service areas are 3 areas spliting the US into thirds. And the NAS regions are those which rich123 ^ referenced above. I do not know what they plan on using, but the impression that I got was they were going to go back to regions (Which is what they used in the past).. Not service areas.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
I know the last panel was still states. I more heard that they are going to send you to academy with no idea where you're going, grade you along the way, and send you to the facility they think you're best suited for.

GT_BMW

Jun 23, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know the last panel was still states. I more heard that they are going to send you to academy with no idea where you're going, grade you along the way, and send you to the facility they think you're best suited for.
I heard this as well but who knows when that might happen...

aal763

Rookie
May 20, 2012
UND
Basically, they told us at UND that everything will be based off of a point system. CTI school level being worth 40pts, 10pts for GPA, 10pts for ATSAT score, I believe 15pts for an interview, and the rest of the points being for the radar/tower evals. at OKC. Depending on how many points you have, the FAA will provide to you a list of available facilities that you can choose from. I was told that you will no longer be able to pick states, service areas, or regions for that matter. I was also told that you won't be able to choose between Terminal and Enroute. Your option of facility will be based on whether or not you did better in the terminal part of OKC, or the Enroute part. Just what i heard. Do I think all of this will actually happen, especially with the looming fiscal cliff we're about to go over, no.

bartock

Newcomer
Jun 10, 2011
Who knows what the FAA will do. For years it has been said people should network, tour facilities and get your name out there. This last panel with no warning, HR decided networking was unfair and had everyone's names redacted and didn't consider first time applicants.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I don't think it was HR's decision. It probably had more to do with the outside group that was held to make changes to the hiring system/academy, etc in general.

bravoxray

Aug 31, 2010
Farmington, MN
ajmezz:228576 said:
I don't think it was HR's decision. It probably had more to do with the outside group that was held to make changes to the hiring system/academy, etc in general.
If you are referring to the independent review board, this was not one of their recomendations. Redacting names, that is. I don't remember if the IRB suggested applying by region. But I wouldnt give much weight to the IRB document or what your CTI school, or anybody else, tells you about changes to hiring. We have heard lots of rumors and the only changes that actually happened were ones that were not rumored about.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
aal763:228555 said:
Basically, they told us at UND that everything will be based off of a point system. CTI school level being worth 40pts, 10pts for GPA, 10pts for ATSAT score, I believe 15pts for an interview, and the rest of the points being for the radar/tower evals. at OKC. Depending on how many points you have, the FAA will provide to you a list of available facilities that you can choose from. I was told that you will no longer be able to pick states, service areas, or regions for that matter. I was also told that you won't be able to choose between Terminal and Enroute. Your option of facility will be based on whether or not you did better in the terminal part of OKC, or the Enroute part. Just what i heard. Do I think all of this will actually happen, especially with the looming fiscal cliff we're about to go over, no.
So what you think they going to do about the people that never took the ATSAT? And never will..