New Release Policy

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
So NATCA and the FAA signed a new policy today regarding releases for ERR's. It's now a 3 tier system. Tier A if your facility has 90%+ staffing you can leave within 6 months. Tier B is if you're facility is 87% staffed you can leave within 1 year. Tier C is 86% and less and you can't leave until your facility reaches Tier B.

N90 is at 64%ish staffing. Looks like I'll be here a while lol

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Is it available online yet? Is it retroactive for those who already have release dates?

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
So NATCA and the FAA signed a new policy today regarding releases for ERR's. It's now a 3 tier system. Tier A if your facility has 90%+ staffing you can leave within 6 months. Tier B is if you're facility is 87% staffed you can leave within 1 year. Tier C is 86% and less and you can't leave until your facility reaches Tier B.

Staffing for the FAA just goes by the total number of CPCs and trainees doesn't it?
Say the target number is 23. There's 17 CPCs and 8 people training. Total of 25. The FAA counts that as being fully staffed doesn't it?

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to check with our Local and see if he's heard anything. Glad to know the FAA/NATCA are finally trying to some what patch a crooked transfer system...

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
Staffing for the FAA just goes by the total number of CPCs and trainees doesn't it?
Say the target number is 23. There's 17 CPCs and 8 people training. Total of 25. The FAA counts that as being fully staffed doesn't it?
Sounds right. I remember at my old facility we couldn't pick up any new hires/transfers because we were technically "staffed". Even though we had mandatory scheduled OT. Although, maybe they only count by CPCs? Who knows, we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I don't know how they're doing the count now but all the guys here were trying to figure out how many cpc's we have and weren't counting trainees.

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014

the crazy thing is ---- so your at a level 6 up down.. it may take two years to train someone vs 4 months in a vfr tower...

Homsar

Rookie
Jun 23, 2014
Anything known about the provisions being discussed in it for early release dates to very low staffed facilities? Supposedly that was a point of contention being ironed out.

morajor13

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2015
Plus some of these level 6 towers only have 10 people. Lose 1 person and that's 10% of your staffing gone.
But isn't it the same if your facility gains one person? Not trying to be an ass, just seems like that doesn't matter. I could be totally wrong.

ccbc

Newcomer
Jun 10, 2010
So if my facility has 11 cpcs and our numbers are 10-13 does that mean we are 100% staffed or is based on the 13 which would make the facility 84% staffed?

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
Anything known about the provisions being discussed in it for early release dates to very low staffed facilities? Supposedly that was a point of contention being ironed out.

the point of contention was controllers being released to be sups....