New York Center - ZNY

belot64f

Feb 15, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
www.facebook
Anyone slated for ZNY to arrive sometime in Mid June? I finish up in OKC mid June going to ZNY. Anyone know of any AFFORDABLE housing locations and solutions near the ZNY/Ronkonkoma area? I am not familiar with Long Island. PLEASE let me know via PM or this post! Thanks!

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Re: ZNY - New York Center

try apartment.com they got some cheap studios there. I'm looking for one myself near westbury area.

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY

Try looking at apartments in Holbrook. You'll be <5 mins to the center and I think you can get a 1br for like $1,200 but don't quote me on that.

xtremehuang80

Newcomer
Feb 28, 2009

Go on Craigslist and place and ad asking stating that you are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment within 10 miles of the airport. Explain your situation, where you work, and you will probably get 10-15 offers, many of which will be under a $1000 a month. Good luck, rent has come down quite a bit lately.

zippynisles

Jun 14, 2008

Umm for the one looking in Westbury, that is about an hour drive without traffic on the LIE. The center is located in Islip. Born and raised in NY so I know a bit about the area.

klkm

Jun 26, 2008

Well maybe the one looking in Westbury is going to the TRACON....at least I hope for their sake.

atcontroller

Rookie
Jan 30, 2009

The island is not going to be hard to find a nice decent place. Faa in it's greatest wisdom shipped me from NYC where I grew up and went to school to Erie, PA. You wanna switch let me know? I am looking to get back to NYC at any cost.

luna75

I am THE Pocket Ninja
Jun 18, 2008
farmingdale ny

atccontroller....as far as i know, i cant swap....zny told me they wouldnt let me go, lol....but im thinking zny isnt going to be so bad
ZNY is going to be awesome and the pay wont hurt either{level 12}, ronkonkoma itself has a decent amount of apartments, mapquest the airport and see the neighboring towns near and around the airport, also you will really need a car as mass transit in that part of long island is not very reliable and spaced out far. i lived in brentwood which you may find decent price housing but you may not like the area depending on where you are at...but the good thing is brentwood and central islip are on the long island rail road's ronkonkoma branch so it would be easy to get to and from work. Islandia and great river are also nearby, but the best suggestion would be really to go on craigslist to see who has apts available. Islip, east islip, islip terrace, hauppauge, smithtown are also towns close enough if you have a car and are nice areas.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions....

nb2fd

Newcomer
Nov 27, 2008
Long Island

Ever heard of the backseat of your car? lol Housing on Long Island isnt cheap (i know i grew up there and still live there) Anywhere along RT 27 (Islip Sayville Oakdale Bohemia Patchoughe) all these places arent that far and Sunrise Hwy with no traffic will get you there quick. Like said in previous posts ppl on LI live off craigslist so Id start their.

whynot

Rookie
Aug 23, 2008
If you know someone there already have them look on the bulletin board for employees who may be renting out their basement apts. Housing is quite expensive if you're not from the area. One bedrooms will run you anywhere from $900-1300.

bippoptl

Newcomer
Oct 15, 2008
If you know someone there already have them look on the bulletin board for employees who may be renting out their basement apts. Housing is quite expensive if you're not from the area. One bedrooms will run you anywhere from $900-1300.

The ones on the board are also pretty expensive. I've checked it daily since starting here months ago and they aren't cheap at all

es7129

Rookie
Mar 15, 2009
If you guys are interested I could talk to my parent's neighbor. The place isn't cheap, I think he's asking $900 but the space is large for the area. The bedroom is small, but the kitchen, living room and bathroom are all a good size and the rent includes all utilities. It also has a private entrance/ fenced-in deck.

es7129

Rookie
Mar 15, 2009
Just an update. That apartment has been rented out, but my neighbor bought the house next door and are renting it out for $2000 a month. I believe it's a 3 bedroom and it's located at the end of a cul de sac. I have pictures if any one is interested.

atc1982

Newcomer
Jun 25, 2008
Anyone slated for ZNY to arrive sometime in Mid June? I finish up in OKC mid June going to ZNY. Anyone know of any AFFORDABLE housing locations and solutions near the ZNY/Ronkonkoma area? I am not familiar with Long Island. PLEASE let me know via PM or this post! Thanks!
Been at ZNY for 28 years. Find a basement apartment and share it if you can stand the person. Bank your money. Don't buy an expensive car or house or lease an expensive apartment as training is difficult.

bippoptl

Newcomer
Oct 15, 2008
Just found out I start in OKC on the 29th of this month!!!
Also...living on Long Island I'm quite familiar with the housing. If you're going to be working here for your career you should really look into buying a house. It's better than throwing your money away on rent. Houses are cheaper than ever now.

Congats. I'm a trainee at ZNY and the son of a guy in my area is starting that day. So if you meet a kid with a father who is an oceanic contoller that's him. Good luck in okc...enjoy it cause it's such a joke. The hard stuff comes when you get back

bippoptl

Newcomer
Oct 15, 2008
Been at ZNY for 28 years. Find a basement apartment and share it if you can stand the person. Bank your money. Don't buy an expensive car or house or lease an expensive apartment as training is difficult.

What area you in?