New York TRACON - N90

ROMA

Sep 24, 2008
Queens, NY
Personally, I'm dying just to get this career started. As for the facility I hoped to be selected for, any tower in the NY or NJ area would be amazing...its not that I'm afraid of washing out and I'm not saying it's gonna be easy, but I'll be giving it everything I got if/when training progresses...and since I was praying for a tower position, I'd be happier than a pig in shit if I were transferred to one.

mklatval

Rookie
Feb 16, 2009
Burlington VT
i just have to be prepared to study airspace layouts and things like that im confident and ready
You don't get it....every single person to go before you has washed, quit, or is still in the process.

Personally, I'm dying just to get this career started
Good luck making it a career starting at N90...hopefully you get transferred to a nice upstate tower.

I has been done, but not in the most recent round of hiring.

ROMA

Sep 24, 2008
Queens, NY
Well my fingers are crossed that they'll reassign me if I don't make it at the TRACON... But they're gonna hafta stick a boot up my ass to get me outta there, I WILL NOT QUIT... And yeah, I do realize that a boot will fit up my ass with the proper amount of force.

BoRn2CoNtRoL

Apr 29, 2009
Virginia Beach via Jersey
what does evrone washing out have to do with me.... i've been controlling for the last six years dont get me wrong not half as busy as a level 12 tracon but all i can do is my portion i cant worry about everyone else on the planet washing out quiting getting transfered up north to towers.... i control aircraft thats my job now will be my job at N90 and i plan on being there for the "LONG HAUL" you digg me!

ROMA

Sep 24, 2008
Queens, NY
and while i take this for what it's worth... Eagetal96's post titled "Pats weekly update, decent amount of info!" states:

"Training failures have always been a concern of our membership, but under today’s changing environment, it is even more critical that we provide the best opportunity for new hires to succeed. Article 61 provides procedures for non-probationary developmental controllers who do not successfully complete training. Employees may be given the opportunity for reassignment to a lower level facility if a vacancy exists. Employees will be given a choice of up to five facilities, and en route employees will be sent back to the Academy for terminal training."

the only thing i'm unclear on is when and how long someone is on probation for?... i tried to read previous posts on the topic but i'm still coming out a bit hazy... can anyone clear this up???

mklatval

Rookie
Feb 16, 2009
Burlington VT
the only thing i'm unclear on is when and how long someone is on probation for?... i tried to read previous posts on the topic but i'm still coming out a bit hazy... can anyone clear this up???
Probation is 1 year from the day you start in the FAA.

Also at Born2Control - I didn't realize you had previous experience. I believe the no one certified since 06 is only no experience hires (aka CTI and OTS). Are you a military controller?

markthetape

Jun 23, 2008
and who is this person that tells people no one checked out there since 2006....... i wanna speakto them on how crappy this place is.... Wait till they get a load of me....[/QUOTE

nobody has certified there since 06, they get stuck certified on say alf the positions and then get stuck there for manning. i like the place due to the area it is located. you could either live on long island which is where it is located or you could live in queens close to the city with only a 20- 25 min drive

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
and who is this person that tells people no one checked out there since 2006....... i wanna speakto them on how crappy this place is.... Wait till they get a load of me....
Hey born there was a whole story on N90 and LaGuardia in a GQ magazine. If I find it I will post it. Everyone was saying how bad it was in there, and I dont mean the loevel, but the atmosphere and stuff. I wanted to stay in NY but when I real;ized how bad it was to work at N90 and how people were quitting (it was in the news) from that facility, I kind of got scared. Maybe you will love it, Im not bashing it. Just be ready for anything, be strong. Dont let anyone turn you off about it.

Here is the entire read. Will be a while

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_8957

NYcGaNgStEr

May 12, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey born there was a whole story on N90 and LaGuardia in a GQ magazine. If I find it I will post it. Everyone was saying how bad it was in there, and I dont mean the loevel, but the atmosphere and stuff. I wanted to stay in NY but when I real;ized how bad it was to work at N90 and how people were quitting (it was in the news) from that facility, I kind of got scared. Maybe you will love it, Im not bashing it. Just be ready for anything, be strong. Dont let anyone turn you off about it.

Here is the entire read. Will be a while

TRAFFIC: GQ Features on men.style.com
Good Advice man! I read that before also .. I didn't know if they were referring to N90 or ZNY but one of those facilities were miserable while the other was controller noobie friendly .. Oh yea Muneco don't you like meat? lol I caught that also in the other thread.

markthetape

Jun 23, 2008
the reason it is like this is because of the contract, once that goes into place and if it is good I beleive the morale and work life there will raise dramatically.

Bravko2k08

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2009
New York
Hey I just started there a few months ago so if you guys have any questions feel free. I will say that you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

ROMA

Sep 24, 2008
Queens, NY
Hey Bravko... it's good to hear from someone on the inside cause that's where i'll be heading when i get cleared.
Can you give us any idea on what the training situation is like? is it as bad as the rumors have said?